PDA

View Full Version : BA Baggage Policy - Its back

manintheback
13th Dec 2006, 18:25
Previous thread has disappeared. Heres the first paragraph of the email I received today - is it a contender for ridiculous statement of the year award?

"Our vision for London Heathrow Terminal 5 is to create the best possible airport experience before you fly. With this in mind we have announced a new simpler checked and excess baggage policy, which will come into effect on 13 February 2007."

"In order to comply with health and safety recommendations the maximum weight per bag will be reduced to 23kgs."

and thats right, luggage weight reduced to 23 kilos from Feb 13th - quite what all BAs flights from any other terminal at Heathrow or airport come to think of it have to do with T5 I'm not quite sure......

The_Banking_Scot
13th Dec 2006, 18:36
Hi,

Oh wonderful!:*

Also if your case if above 23kg you will not be able to pay an excess but will need to repack.

Any extra case will be charged at £30 for Domestic and £ 120 long haul::sad:

regards

TBS

silverelise
14th Dec 2006, 12:50
Hi,
Oh wonderful!:*
Also if your case if above 23kg you will not be able to pay an excess but will need to repack.

That's not what the email from BA says. It says that any excess will be charged at a flat rate based on the route you are flying rather than on a per kilo basis.

The_Banking_Scot
14th Dec 2006, 17:48
Hi,

Sorry for any confusion but what I meant to say was if your case is say 30kg ( current limit is 32k for transatlantic) BA will not accept the case ;

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ba6.jsp/bgpolicy/public/en_gb

Under maximum weight it says BA will not accept any case above 23kg so you would have to repack 7k ( and if the second or third case was above the limit you would be charged the rate based on the route)

Regards

TBS

Haven't a clue
15th Dec 2006, 11:41
I guess I'll have to stay in hotels which offer bathroom scales - how else can I check the weight before check-in for a return trip. No wait. As most of my travel involves travel in a class which allows two cases, I'll take two cases. More work for the baggage handlers; more weight on the plane.

This topic was discussed at great length when BA first determined that a 23kg limit would apply.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=230439

That then was coupled to increases in the handbagge allowances. Those increases have been clobbered by the DfT imposing a one bag limit, driven one suspects by BAA's inability to provide adequate screening resources.

Incidently the current message from BA refers to "health and safety recommendations" not "Health and Safety recommendations". Previous posters sought clarification from government bodies and the like who confirmed that they weren't behind this weight limit. So it's solely BA driven. Perhaps the T5 experience will require pax to self load their baggage as well as themselves and 23kg is considered about right for granny to heft into the baggage container??

manintheback
15th Dec 2006, 12:36
I
Incidently the current message from BA refers to "health and safety recommendations" not "Health and Safety recommendations".

Good spot. Strikes permitting I have a flight that straddles the date of introduction so now trying to find out if what I can take out on the o/b is still ok for the i/b

zed3
15th Dec 2006, 17:39
Only use BA for short haul but that's it for me , especially considering how they have run down BACON and their friendly and professional crews . Sorry guys but I shall use the ferry or train from now on between Europe and The Island . No hassle . Just one but it all mounts up . WW you are on the wrong track , it's service we are looking for .

1DC
20th Dec 2006, 16:05
If this is fact i really wonder who justified it, it has such a large impact that the decision had to be approved at high level.Baggage is such an important item to a traveller, whether it be a business two day trip when the ideal would be to take a briefcase and carryone or a long haul trip where the rules allow two bags up to 32kilos each, or a business class 30 kilo or first 40 kilo. If this daft decision means that BA are saying that two 32 kilo bags can now only be two at 23k or three twenties or a business class longhaul now requires two checked bags. If that is what the decision means then they are crazy and have omitted to consider the most important factor. The PASSENGER HAS A CHOICE and most will not mess about with either less baggage or extra bags to carry for the priviledge of flying BA. BA fly on few routes where the competition cannot be considered an alternative and i predict this decision will have the same impact on BA as the poll tax did on the Tories..

BEagle
22nd Dec 2006, 07:10
Perhaps Nigel has juxtaposed the 3 and 2 - and written 23 where it should have been 32?

Certainly Lufthansa are more generous than this - and there are even more benefits for Hon Circle, Senator or Frequent Travellers.

ba do seem hell bent on driving passengers away......