PDA

View Full Version : Royal Navy jobs offered to civvy qualified pilots

Gash Easty
13th Dec 2006, 12:53
Hey guys,

Wonder if you can help me. I have just completed my CPL IR/ Frozen ATPL course at a well known UKFTO. My course and I have all recieved a letter from the Royal Navy that states they are well under manned in their pilot numbers at the moment and they have offered us an opportunity to apply. They say that if we pass some computer tests with the RAF and if our medical standards are acceptable we will pass to basic training at a place called Linton-on-Rouse. They say we will avoid the first stage of training due to our previous qualifications. My first question is, why is it called Basic Training if we are being invited to go on to something called a Tuncaner at Linton on Rouse and not the Bulldogs which I know the military learn to fly on. Secondly, they say we will be paid on the Major equivalent scale to allow us to repay our previous training debts. This will last for five years. How much will this salary be?

Many thanks,

Hope you can help.

GE

Kitbag
13th Dec 2006, 12:59
Either you are on a wind up, or you are being wound up.

Anyone else care to comment?

Tombstone
13th Dec 2006, 13:07
Hey guys,

Wonder if you can help me. I have just completed my CPL IR/ Frozen ATPL course at a well known UKFTO. My course and I have all recieved a letter from the Royal Navy that states they are well under manned in their pilot numbers at the moment and they have offered us an opportunity to apply. They say that if we pass some computer tests with the RAF and if our medical standards are acceptable we will pass to basic training at a place called Linton-on-Rouse. They say we will avoid the first stage of training due to our previous qualifications. My first question is, why is it called Basic Training if we are being invited to go on to something called a Tuncaner at Linton on Rouse and not the Bulldogs which I know the military learn to fly on. Secondly, they say we will be paid on the Major equivalent scale to allow us to repay our previous training debts. This will last for five years. How much will this salary be?

Many thanks,

Hope you can help.

GE

That'll be Linton on Ouse, flying the Tucano on Lt Cdrs pay.

Pull the other one, it's got bell on it.:rolleyes:

airborne_artist
13th Dec 2006, 13:25
I had to check the calendar just to make sure it's not April 1.

C for effort, D for execution.

anotherthing
13th Dec 2006, 13:27
it's a wind up... Linton on Rouse (Ruse)

diginagain
13th Dec 2006, 13:28
Hang about. I've 1000 hours Lynx in my logbook, and I'm dunker-current - who do I write to?

airborne_artist
13th Dec 2006, 13:32
From a conversation I had with the man in the know in the Dark Blue College of Knowledge, part of our man's wind up is true - the RN is having problems recruiting potential pilots, so much so that the holds between courses have almost entirely gone, due to the lower throughput.

newt
13th Dec 2006, 13:49
Sorry Chaps I just have to ask!!

"Why should the Navy need pilots when they dont have any aeroplanes?"

airborne_artist
13th Dec 2006, 14:02
Surely everyone knows that pilots are the guys that bring ships into harbour? The RN teaches them to fly just in case they might need to, if the RAF can't turn up, for example.

ORAC
13th Dec 2006, 14:05
The RN teaches them to fly Where do they do that then? :}

airborne_artist
13th Dec 2006, 14:08
Orac - I think you'll find that 705 (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.2249) is still officially an RN unit, though really it's purple underneath.

Widger
13th Dec 2006, 14:14
With his standard of spelling/knowledge, he obviously won't pass the "RAF" tests.

On the subject of what to fly, the RN is short of Harrier Pilots...sorry to break it to you all but the J in JFH means JOINT and 800 and 801 sqns are to be predominantly dark blue. Unfortunately, despite the offer of a life in Lincolnshire and very generous FRIs, most of the Sea Harrier fraternity have done a bunk!

Interesting that they are offering 2 and 1/2 pay, even the doctors and dentists and the Bishes, don't get that straight away!

FJJP
13th Dec 2006, 14:56
What would a Lt(RN), seasoned and fully-trained [Dartmouth, et al] have to say if a wet-nose pitched up on the Sqn getting Lt Cdr pay?

I don't think so.

I find it difficult to buy that this individual [with CPL/frozen ATPL] is unaware that the Bulldog has been out of service for some years now, or that it's Linton-on-Ouse, or that it's a Tucano.

And straight to Basic without doing Dartmouth?

A poor attempt at a wind-up, I fear.

Fake Sealion
13th Dec 2006, 15:16
Mr Easty

A bizarre attempt at a wind up.:= ....me thinks your name Gash Easty is an anagram???

Anyone any ideas??

althenick
13th Dec 2006, 15:37
Sorry Chaps I just have to ask!!
"Why should the Navy need pilots when they dont have any aeroplanes?"
Because the Navy will be flying ex-Air Force Aircraft in the future since the RAF is supposedly in Meltdown :O

FOBiggles
13th Dec 2006, 16:07
Hey Easty

If this is the same deal that was discussed shortly before I too recently graduated from a UK FTO (the premier one, might I add) then the Ground Instructor who discussed it with you may be a little peeved to know that the discretion that he asked you to show in considering it, involved you going straight on to an internet forum to discuss it with the whole world!

To clarify the offer that was discussed with us.. This is only an invite to apply.. not a guaranteed place!

If successful at the usual boarding process, your reports from the FTO will be considered and may allow you to bypass Elementary Training Only (That's the single engine GH phase of your FTO course) in the military training system which would see you go on to Basic training. We were told our flying records would have to be at least the standard that would see you put forward to BA because the RN is looking from this scheme for FJ pilots.

The deal with a higher than normal starting pay is for a limited period (No set number of years was discussed with us but when I looked into it about five years would be correct!!) which was justified by the reduction in training costs expended upon you. The additional pay was intended to help you pay off your self funded training costs and bridge the gap between an FO's starting salary with the civil carriers and the starting salary in the military.

The deal with the reference to a Major's rank was only so that you could look up and compare pay scales. The pay is the same as an Army major would receive and will increase in line with an Army major's pay scale increases year by year. It does not involve you getting the same rank as an Army Major!

Before everybody shoots me down and criticiszes(sic) my spelling, I didn't invent this scheme and unfortunately could not take part in it as I was on a part sponsored scheme with my now employer (although I would have liked to, I think the Navy do a fantastic job and get some awesome flying!!!) only aiming to answer his questions and clarify some of his inaccuracies.

RETDPI
13th Dec 2006, 16:12
Hang about. I've 1000 hours Lynx in my logbook, and I'm dunker-current - who do I write to?
Perhaps you could try DUREX ?

anotherthing
13th Dec 2006, 17:20
Fake Sealion

Gash Easty - "Has Eaty Gas??"

Very Very poor attempt at anagram.

I'll get me coat, and dictionary

Gash Easty
13th Dec 2006, 17:46
Hey guys,

can i appologise for my severe lack of knowledge regards the Navy thanks to all the replys to put me right.

GE

vecvechookattack
13th Dec 2006, 17:59
And straight to Basic without doing Dartmouth?There was a chap very recently who passed through the Basic Observer Course at Culdrose having not completed BRNC. Think he was a chopped Crab or something and the RN offered him a place and he went straight to Culdrose...

Whllst Im on the subject...has anyone heard a buzz that the RN are overborne with people and are going to stop promotions to SO1 and also stop transfers to the longer career commissions?

airborne_artist
13th Dec 2006, 18:41
VVCA - I think all three services recognise the others' IOT - within reason, though I suspect that the ex-crab you refer to may have had to do 4 weeks at BRNC alongside the docs and vicars.

Bertie Thruster
13th Dec 2006, 18:51
Mr Easty
A bizarre attempt at a wind up.:= ....me thinks your name Gash Easty is an anagram???
Anyone any ideas??

"Gash Easty"....................."The Gay Ass"

Might be quite good in the Navy?

Widger
14th Dec 2006, 07:46
VecVec...Yes, there should be a global message circulating VLN/CUL.

bad livin'
14th Dec 2006, 09:19
Good luck ever being considered a Naval Officer...something that some of us would claim with some pride.

Mr Rotorvator
14th Dec 2006, 14:22
Bertie,

"Gash Easty"....................."The Gay Ass"

Might be quite good in the Navy?

I get "Gash Easty" = "Hates Gays"

He may have some snags with the Dark Blue...

Army Mover
14th Dec 2006, 14:53
I'm a dab hand on Microsoft's Flight Sim; I can land it and everyfing! If I promise to eat lots of pies could I get a job on 10 Sqn?:E
I had a "go" in the Harrier sim at Wittering recently. I was really impressed, especially when the proper pilot stepped out at 20k feet and handed it over to the next driver. :uhoh:

WE Branch Fanatic
15th Dec 2006, 13:09
Unfortunately, despite the offer of a life in Lincolnshire and very generous FRIs, most of the Sea Harrier fraternity have done a bunk!

But the MOD insisted that the move to Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire and being lodgers at RAF Cott/Witt would not result in the loss of pilots, despite the warnings. Surveys of personnel, warnings in the media of increased PVR numbers........

Likewise the loss of the Sea Jet (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=98152) itself, and the change from fighter to attack roles.

The Ministry of Defence doesn't seem terribly good at responding to things, does it?

So where did the Sea Harrier people go?

MightyGem
17th Dec 2006, 15:44
Hang about. I've 1000 hours Lynx in my logbook, and I'm dunker-current - who do I write to
I think they might be after someone a bit younger, Andy.

diginagain
17th Dec 2006, 16:02
It was just a thought.........:(

Mmmmnice
17th Dec 2006, 18:03
Nice one Bertie - do I know you? multiple rodents?
Must say the whole idea of some johnny-come-lately turning up virtually 'straight' off the street will certainly revitalise the crewroom banter! Presumably he/she will have been carefully briefed about the possible differences between the robustly PC approach on the outside and the, occasionally, slightly less understanding/forgiving military direct approach. Does this influx of new aviators mean I can leave the grey funnel line to deliver its own troops from the deck? - no more O boat........oh bliss oh joy! Of course not - its more pilots, not more/better a/c.....oh well never mind

RRAAMJET
17th Dec 2006, 20:03
anotherthing: "Teasy shag" methinks...

or "gay's haste" perhaps.....:uhoh: