13th Dec 2006, 10:53
Hi
Does any of you have overall information in difference between 365N and N2

many thanks
Baze

Hummingfrog
13th Dec 2006, 11:24
Hi

They are not that different to fly. CAA considers them as the same type for licensing and OPC/LPC/IR purposes and I can fly a N straight after a N2 and vice versa. The take off profiles are basically the same with just a variation on using the rotor beep trim.

The main difference is in what you can carry as the N has a MTOW of 4000Kg while the N2 has a MTOW of 4250Kg. In the N Sea config this usually means that a N2 gives approx 150Kg better payload as the N2 APS is about 100Kg heavier than a N.

I would always choose to fly the N2, as in my company it is better equiped in the navigation department with a RNAV2 display superimposed onto the radar.

HF

Farmer 1
13th Dec 2006, 11:41
A few more bells and whistles on the N2: digital avionics, more advanced autopilot, nav system etc.

anjouan
13th Dec 2006, 17:34
Avionics and things really depends what was specified as the fit when the aircraft was ordered and the autopilots on both are identical, unless specified with something else when purchased (usually a SFIM 155D autopilot with the optional CDV 85 coupler).

Both aircraft have the same fuel capacity (though most N2s have the twin booster pump system and no cross-feed). This means that, despite the marginal increase in cruise speed of the N2, it has slightly less range as the fuel burn is around 15kg/hr more.

Both have Arriel 1 series engines, the N has the 1C and the N2, the 1C2. The N has a 2.5 minute OEI rating of 522 kW and the N2 575 kW, whilst 5 minute take-off power on the N is 492 kW and on the N2 551 kW. On the N2 a Delta N1 guage replaces the normal N1 guage. This basically takes P0, T0 and true Ng signals and generates a maximum take-off power curve signal corresponding to the actual atmospheric signals. Thus when the guage reads zero it corresponds to the max Ng at computed take-off power. This is better than the old system for operators in hot and high conditions where the engines are Ng limited as instead od using just e.g 100% Ng for take-off, one can pull to 0 delta Ng (which may be more than 100% on the built-in digital Ng indicator).

Although both have dual hydraulic systems, the N has only a single tail servo system, whilst the N2 has a dual tail servo, with a cut-out on one system in case of e leak in the feed line.

Most N2s have the optional power assisted wheel brakes and the high-back height and reach adjustable pilot seats (reach only in the N), though I find the N seats more comfortable for long flights.

The N2 has a larger asymmetrical tail fin (without a fin stabiliser, though some Ns were also built without the stabiliser) made mostly of epoxy resin impregnated kevlar. The N has an 11 bladed, 0.9 metre diameter aluminium fenestron, but the N2 was originally fitted with a 1.1 metre diameter, 11 bladed fenestron with composite blades, which have suffered numerous (some fatal) problems. Because of this some operators are now retrofitting the 10 bladed asymetrically spaced fenestron as fitted to the 365N3.

The N2 is .27 metres longer and 0.12 metres higher.

There are probably numerous other things which I have forgotten. As HF says the N2 is a bit nicer to fly, but the higher basic weight means that additional payload is not that much greater.

If you have the money, I'd set my sights even higher and go for the N3 as it's a quantum jump better than the N2. It's my favourite of all the Dauphins (including the EC155, which is really just an N4 :E )

Aser
13th Dec 2006, 17:41
If you want to talk about the N3 vs N4 we'll be pleased to read. :E

anjouan
13th Dec 2006, 18:54
If you fly hot/high, N3 same engines, lower max gross, great single and twin engine power. N4 wouldn't lift the skin off a bowl of custard OEI when the temperature goes up :{ . Yes, fast, lots of nice electronic toys, proper FADEC, but I'd rather have the performance thanks - it's what's saved my bacon on numerous occasions in hot climates. N3 is my favourite twin of all the Eurocopter mediums. Must say, I'd quite like to try an EC225, NH90 and AW139, but don't suppose I'll get the chance now :\

212man
14th Dec 2006, 14:22
N4?

wash your mouths out with soap and water!!! Cent Cinquante Cinq if you please;)

rotorspeed
14th Dec 2006, 17:44
Any offers on high speed cruise difference beween N, N1, N2, N3? Fuel burn too would be interesting. How does 109E compare, cruise & fuel burn?

rotorspeed
14th Dec 2006, 18:57
Um, ...er, thanks.

The reason one might compare the 365 with the 109 is that if you want to transport 4 - 6 people fast, they are broadly comparable in acquisition cost, assuming not new. I think you'll find that in the corporate world both are sometimes considered.

anjouan
15th Dec 2006, 12:27
The main difference with the 109E compared with the 365 is that the cabin is incredibly cramped for 4 - 6 people and with that number on board you can carry about enough fuel to get to the end of your garden :{ :E