PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what this is from?

bloggs99
12th Dec 2006, 11:58
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/cliver320/07122006693.jpgMy Brother owns a stretch of beach in Sussex and had this (believed to be a drop tank) wash up after storms the other night.

It has been checked out by police and Bomb disposal (before anyone starts getting dramatic) and it is now his property by rights of salvage.

Does anyone know what aircraft it is from? Is it one of ours or French?

Also any ideas who might be interested in giving some cash to have it back? I'm sure he wont refuse any decent offer.

airborne_artist
12th Dec 2006, 12:06
I'll give him a fiver for it. We'll put it on the wall at the Air Cadets' centre.

spectre150
12th Dec 2006, 12:24
How long is it - hard to judge against shingle. My first thought was a Jaguar under wing tank but I could be completely mistaken. If it isnt a UWT it could be a travel pod.

oo ah cantona
12th Dec 2006, 12:44
It looks to me to be a French UWT. I have seen them under a Mirage 2000 before, though I stand to be corrected.:8

airborne_artist
12th Dec 2006, 12:51
There must be some markings/stock numbers/text on it somewhere, surely?

mightymouse111
12th Dec 2006, 12:53
Looks like something my ex-girlfriend used to use when I was away. :eek:

Kitbag
12th Dec 2006, 13:52
Its a Jaguar external fuel tank. There have been several instances of them being jettisoned over the years. The fins do break off on impact with the water- they have also been washed up occasionally. As for the length of it you can just see the ERU mounting shackles near the shingle. The oval just to the rear is the Fuel/Air connection.
There should be a warning stencil stating that the thing is made of or contains phenolic asbestos, which I think means don't set fire to it 'cos it gives off v. nasty fumes.

MM 111- you must be one big guy if your g/f can handle one of these.

JagRigger
12th Dec 2006, 14:12
and it's made of asbestos phenolic by the way before he decides whether he really wants it.

=- don't you hate it when you post and reitterate somthing being posted at h same time

Pontius Navigator
12th Dec 2006, 15:00
The MOD may offer a reward. They certainly do for torpedoes and the like provided you are not a Crown servant; hint, if YOU find a torpedo tell the wife/gf to report it.

pigsinspace
12th Dec 2006, 15:21
I know thats Shoreham Harbour and is owned by Adur district council