PDA

View Full Version : Rotorheads Bash at Heli-Expo: Anyone up for it?

SASless
11th Dec 2006, 16:19
Several folks have indicated a willingness to attend a pprune bash somewhere in the Southeast USA.....suggestions for a location to meet at...would be welcome. Planned time of the bash is late January....early February.

If you are interested...leave a post here and suggest the location and weekend that fits you best.

After we figure out the best weekend...we can decide on the location. (I vote we trash Nick's place!)

Darren999
11th Dec 2006, 17:28
My hitch finishes on the 25th Jan in the gulf. Would like to get together if that's going to be possible...:ok:

Gordy
11th Dec 2006, 17:34
Seems to me like Heli expo might be the time and place:
Late Feb, early March, Orlando!!!!!

430EMSpilot
11th Dec 2006, 20:43
Last weekend in January or 2nd/4th weekend in February are possibilities for me! Looking forward to it already.:ok:

chester2005
11th Dec 2006, 21:48
This sounds like a good idea , i am planning a little break around then after ATPLs at start of Feb.
Count me in .

Wouldn't the weather be better in California though?????????

Chester :ok: :ok:

CVR
12th Dec 2006, 11:55
Heli-expo seems a perfect time to have it folks, if so count me in:ok:

B Sousa
12th Dec 2006, 14:19
You folks always seem to slither into Florida and them disappear............Heli-Expo seems to be the most logical for most, financially.
But dont EVER forget Vega$ as a fun place for parties.
Im waiting to see if SASless is really as old as he claims.

Gerhardt
12th Dec 2006, 19:54
I'm not going unless at least one of the Whirlygirls attends.

Darren999
14th Dec 2006, 00:41
Have spoken with kisssmysquirrel who says if there's enough interest he will dress up like a women, he does only usually do this on the weekends, but will make an exception..:ok:

Good on ya kiss!!!!! Just let him know

TheFlyingSquirrel
14th Dec 2006, 02:49
seriously though folks, when it's Darren's turn to get 'em in - don't let him pull the old wallet in the car routine ! Jeez ! :E

Tweedles
14th Dec 2006, 17:53
Please sign me up. I'm always good for "one." HeliExpo time works best for me.

Tweedles
3rd Jan 2007, 14:11
The sound of crickets permeates the still air...

What's the latest? Since I posted...nothing. It wouldn't be the first time my effervescent personality scared people away!:hmm:

SASless
3rd Jan 2007, 14:16
It sounds as if the HAI Convention is the choice so far.

rotorrookie
3rd Jan 2007, 18:44
how about to attach it to heli-expo?? 1-3 march ...... just a thought

SirVivr
6th Jan 2007, 01:37
SAS:
Just purchased my tickets to Orlando for Heli-Expo.
We should be able to have a pprune gathering somewhere protected from PC, FAA, CAA, DCA, JAROPS and Disney. We can get them to lock us in somewhere, and give each a key.
Fantasyworld?
Chas A

chester2005
6th Jan 2007, 03:37
Firstly do you have to book to get into HeliExpo?

How much does it cost?

Any good hotels ( reasonably priced) near the venue?

Is there going to be a certain time or place or day for Ppruners to all meet?

How will we know each other (all wear pink carnations?):rolleyes:

Just about to book the flight and trying to tie the trip in with some Boatpix time so it would be good if i knew what to expect over there.

Thanks in advance

Chester:ok:

SirVivr
7th Jan 2007, 23:47
Chester2005:

Yes, they want money to enter the Convention Center. I suppose we should pay to see their new aircraft.

The Job Fair is usually outside the entrance. No admittance fee for the new blood or those looking for the ultimate promise.

Cynical but still flying,

Chas A

Dis-Mystery of Lift
12th Jan 2007, 00:57
Whats happening Team?:sad: Is anyone going to grab the Bull by the Horns and get this thing up and running?I'm keen to catch up, drink a few cold ones and talk some :mad: I would help but abit hard from way down here...I had to look on a map to find out where Florida was:ok:

rotorbrent
12th Jan 2007, 02:42
Since I am from Tampa and fly into Orlando 4-5 times a week I will see what kind of deals I can find. And get some hotel contacts and meeting ideas. And list them on here.

faded one side
12th Jan 2007, 03:43
Sounds good, count me in also. Darren make mine a guiness. Will be good to put faces to the handles.

SASless
12th Jan 2007, 04:31
Sirvivr,

"Fantasy Land".....by that you mean the HR Office in Redhill?

TheFlyingSquirrel
12th Jan 2007, 12:44
The convention centre is located near the intersection of 4 and 528, the beach line, on International Drive. If someone can recommend somewhere to host this proposed melee, then go for it. Otherwise, I will be in Orlando this weekend, and can scout for locations. Presume restaurant/bar would be ideal ?

Darren999
12th Jan 2007, 16:36
Excellent Squirrel meet you in the bar!!!:ok: Mines a large one. How will I recognise you? Are you still 270lbs, bald, with that fake hair piece? and stick on hairy chest wig!! :ok:

TheFlyingSquirrel
14th Jan 2007, 21:15
as promised, I dodged the bullets and the harrasment at the traffic lights, and drove the short half mile up International drive, just by the conference centre. Within crawling/walking/stumbling distance of the conference centre - corporate USA take your pick from the list below. Most look like they are restaurants with bars attached - listed in order of looking the most likely suitable. If anyone else can suggest - bring it on. Which day suits best - Thurs/Fri or Sat ?

Bennigans
Steak and Ale House
Red Lobster
Tony Bahama's
Silzzler's
Houlihans
Thai Thani
Ming Court
Bahama Breeze

chester2005
14th Jan 2007, 21:59
TFS

Well done for the foot work,

Has anyone got any idea on the best day for the get together?

Heli expo is from the Thursday thru to the Saturday which day will be the best for everyone?

SirVivr
15th Jan 2007, 00:41
SAS:

Since we are now truely international, right, it is indeed a fantasy world.

chester2005:

Bell usually has a party for the exhibitors the night before the opening, Sikorsky and Eurocopter usually compete for the party attendees on the first night, so how about the 2nd or 3rd of March.

SAS:

Almost forgot. A Boat Show the same weekend in Orlando. A chance to spend much more money than on causing the higher brain facilities of pilots to succumb to alcohol, and possibly tell stories. Sorry, probably.

I have my stories prepared.

Chas A

TheFlyingSquirrel
16th Jan 2007, 22:46
So what's happening with this. Nice to see Kissmysquirrel will be in attendance. We can make fun of him after his first beer !:p

Shall we say the Saturday at the Steak and Ale house 7pm ? Anway wanna input ??

chester2005
16th Jan 2007, 23:35
Saturday at the Steak and Ale house at 7pm sounds good,

anyone else agree or disagree?

Darren999
17th Jan 2007, 00:30
The steak place sounds good to me at 7pm, 1 silly question the saturday date will be? I'm looking at my hitch calendar and can't remember dates discussed. Its a age thing.....:{ :ugh:

SASless
17th Jan 2007, 02:20
Sirvivr,
The Fisher 37 got sold....as did the Baba 35 but I am onto a 45 foot CSY in Florida....being a helicopter pilot I have no money....have given up drink....and would never stoop to telling a "Lie". A bit of prevarication while taking some Snow Snake anti-venom perhaps but yarning and drinking....never. With Nick Lappos as my witness....am now living at the foot of the Cross.

B Sousa
17th Jan 2007, 02:26
Hey, I just tuned in on this. Would love to trade stories with Scasless and may have some contract work in Floridia around then........

Must I go back and read or are there firm dates and places?

chester2005
17th Jan 2007, 08:50
Bert

At the moment it looks like "the Steak and Ale House" at 7pm on Saturday the 3rd of March,

How does that sound ?

B Sousa
17th Jan 2007, 16:16
Snake and Tail...........My favorite place......
Should I be in town, I will dispense a few brewskis for my friends and dodge the Beer Bottles from those who cant handle my postings...

chopper-wrench
18th Jan 2007, 03:25
We may get to share one yet Bert, see you all there if I make it back from CT on time.:)

Jed A1
18th Jan 2007, 04:08
Count me in.

See you all there.

22clipper
18th Jan 2007, 05:07
Is Lynne Austin going to be there?

B Sousa
20th Jan 2007, 04:11
INNKEEPER, Another round of drinks and fresh horses for my men..........We ride at dawn.
Hotel.......Booked
Flight.......Booked
Car..........Booked.
HAI Membership..........Yes, but it hurts.
Registration Tomorrow.
Things to pack.
South African Wine.......Check
Rum ( Virgin Islands) ...Check
Bombay Saphire Gin......Check
Excedrin......................Check
Clean Underwear and Helicopter Pilot sunglasses...... Check
Rolex Watch ( for posting bail).....Check
Lets Party

NickLappos
20th Jan 2007, 13:08
I will be there with the non-fiction account of all of SASless's war stories!

Am I right, this is it:

"the Steak and Ale House" at 7pm on Saturday the 3rd of March

B Sousa
20th Jan 2007, 14:05
Maybe if we all show an interest in Sikorsky Aircraft, Nick would buy dinner..

I still have my first tail wheel locking pin from the CH-34 days. Will that at least get me a free drink??

NickLappos
20th Jan 2007, 14:07
Bsousa,

Nix on the free dinner, I will get the free peanuts from the bar for you, though.......

Is the tail wheel lock pin still straight? If so, you get the free drink!

Nick

SASless
20th Jan 2007, 14:14
Ah war stories.....add beer to a fairy tale and presto....one each war story!

Perhaps it is the owner that is "bent" and not the pin?

B Sousa
20th Jan 2007, 20:34
Is the tail wheel lock pin still straight? If so, you get the free drink!

It is straight, but sheared off where its supposed to when one forgets to unlock it...........

I will accept any and all free alochol.

NickLappos
20th Jan 2007, 21:04
b sousa,

Unless that other piece of the lock pin (now hundreds of miles separated) is perfectly aligned with the piece you have, the lock pin ain't straight, so no drink!

PS, in my boxes in my garage, I have a very, very, very slightly bent one......a prize from the test pilots after my first solo in an H-34!

SASless
20th Jan 2007, 21:48
Well I'll be.....who would be silly enough to break a tail wheel lock on a 58/58T/34?

Errrrr....Nick....they did not think you could solo a current aircraft and had to drag one out of the back corner of the hanger for your use?

NickLappos
20th Jan 2007, 22:05
Back then, both the H-34 and I were current....

SirVivr
22nd Jan 2007, 01:53
Sandyhelmet:

Current flight has me arriving MCO at 2:40 PM, on the 27th. I just learned about the Goodrich Hoist and Winch Seminar starting on the 26th. Tomorrow, I will try switching to the 25th. Schedule change again, so I must check with DH. Nothing changes, except changes. SH may appear, sans black fishnet stockings, for the Heli-Expo part, but I would have to do some serious talking for her to spend more than 15 minutes at the planned melee.

I will keep you advised of changes.

Chas A

chester2005
22nd Jan 2007, 20:44
TFS

I am trying to find the address for the "steak and ale house" and according to google is about 7 miles away from the convention centre.

Is there another one?

The one i've found is on Westwood Blvd is this the right one .

I don't want to be in the wrong one!!!!!

Thanks Chester:ok:

chester2005
22nd Jan 2007, 20:57
TFS

Thanks more questions if poss?

What hotels are people staying at????

I am looking at the Extended stay America on Westwood Blvd is it far from everywhere????? and is the hotel any good or can people suggest others (not the Hilton) my budget doesn't go that far.

B Sousa
23rd Jan 2007, 00:05
http://www.steakandale.com

Orlando, FL 407-445-6409
7320 W. Colonial Dr., Orlando, FL 32818

Orlando, FL 407-352-0526
6115 Westwood Blvd., Orlando, FL 32821

There are two more close by,but not in "Orlando"
So which is it.............

TheFlyingSquirrel
28th Jan 2007, 20:53
Steak and Ale House
6115 Westwood Blvd
Orlando
FL 32821
407-352-0526

On the corner with International Drive.

I took a nose inside and it looks perfectly suited for the purpose. A large bar area with draft beers and a wall full of booze. Two private rooms are available which may not need a reservation. The bar area can probably accommodate 50 or more, sideways and or standing !:rolleyes:

helimutt
28th Jan 2007, 22:04
is that near west palm beach?

Phil77
28th Jan 2007, 23:31
http://www.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=west+palm+beach,+fl&daddr=6115+Westwood+Blvd,+Orlando,+FL+32821&sll=27.62209,-80.749881&sspn=2.010018,3.15033&ie=UTF8&z=9&ll=27.569156,-80.757751&spn=2.011,3.15033&om=1

...depends if you call 164 miles (264 km) "near"!? :rolleyes:

chester2005
29th Jan 2007, 03:24
TFS

Well done and thanks for looking into all that :ok:

I have just spent an hour googling hotels nearby .

Can anyone recommend one ?????

I much prefer personal recommendation than hoping that hotel feedback is true/accurate on their website.

Anyone staying close to the convention center

Anyone care to enlighten me to a half decent hotel PLEASE:ok:

Regards Chester:confused: :ok:

SASless
29th Jan 2007, 14:38
All are within a one half mile of the Steak and Ale:
Sheraton World Resort
Wynfield Inn
Days Inn
Howard Johnson
Red Roof Inn
Omni-Rosen Hotel
Country Hearth Inn
If one goes to a two mile distance.....literally dozens of places

March being a non-tourist season hotel accomodations should be no problem.

aspinwing
10th Feb 2007, 17:32
I am registered for Saturday and will be at the S&A with Mrs A on Saturday night. Not certain where we are staying yet.
Arriving on Friday afternoon by car from the Great White North :ok: via Macon on Thursday night.
See y'all

B Sousa
11th Feb 2007, 00:06
The next big question is how will one recognize a used pruner.???

B Sousa
11th Feb 2007, 00:12
So you think none will show, or as a good Squirell, you'll just be at the bar lickin your nuts.

Seems a post disappeared............

SASless
11th Feb 2007, 00:50
Aye Lads,

Big meeting at the Vietnam Memorial at Dawn, March 17th. Veterans and other concerned citizens will be protecting the Vietnam Memorial as well as the WWII Memorial and Korean War Memorials. An Anti-War protest is scheduled to form up at the Vietnam Memorial and march on the Pentagon.

The last time they did this, radicals within the protest defaced the Capital Building with spray painted anti-war grafitti. The Capital Police made no arrests and allowed the vandals to do their thing.

Veterans, Rolling Thunder, American Legion Riders, The Patriot Guards (motorcycle group similar to Rolling Thunder) and lots of ordinary citzens are joining together to guard the War Memorials to prevent any desecration from being done.

We plan to meet at the Vietnam Memorial at Sunrise on Saturday morning and stay until the protesters leave. Sunday, some of us will go to the Smithsonian Museum at Dulles to tour the Aviation museum there.

We don't mind the protest but we have decided they can paint us but they are not going to do that to the Memorial as they did to the Capital Building.

Anyone care to join me at the Wall?

How about you Nick?

B Sousa
11th Feb 2007, 15:01
"we have decided they can paint us "

Au Contrare, thats where some of us switch to Boots. Gonna bring my best pointy toes cowboy boots, give them turd$ a taste of real Horsesh1t. SASLESS, just in case my boot gets stuck in one of them heffers, dont let her drag me too far.

HELOFAN
11th Feb 2007, 17:18
Is it ok for all PPruners that are going to the Heli expo to catch up for that drink?
Time & place for sure ?

I would like to meet you all.

Also I understand its Heli Adventures 20th Aniversary as well and have a bash being held, anyone else head for that, see you there for a drink too.

HF

Aesir
12th Feb 2007, 17:29
the Steak and Ale House" at 7pm on Saturday the 3rd of March

I will be there, looking forward to meet you guy´s.

AESIR.
aka. Walter Ehrat.

md 600 driver
12th Feb 2007, 18:09
see you there 7 pm ish from 3 of us from yorkshire
steve

Darren999
16th Feb 2007, 00:24
I'm all booked. Job fair 1st! Then looking forward to flying Squirrel getting the 1st round in!! Good on ya mate!!! see you at 7pm!!:ok: :D

rotorgirl
25th Feb 2007, 22:06
Hi there, just joined this forum... never posted before. I'll see what I'm doing Sat 7pm - maybe I'll just crash your bash? I'm sure I'll run into you guys there! :)

Darren999
25th Feb 2007, 23:03
Welcome. Hope to see you at the bash. Look for a chap named 'the flying squirrel', the 1st rounds on him!!:ok:

rotorgirl
26th Feb 2007, 20:23
lol! I hope "the flying squirrel" knows he will be very broke at the end of the night! ;) All the rounds will be "the first round"

Stinger
26th Feb 2007, 20:30
Looking forward to meeting the rotorhead 'gods' in the hallowed halls of the S&A

Shawn Coyle
26th Feb 2007, 22:11
I'll be at the Aerosimulators booth - studiously avoiding a tan by staying inside the sim, it seems.
Also giving a talk sponsored by Enstrom and Airsure on the 1st. Love to meet anyone who can come to the Aerosimulators booth.

chester2005
26th Feb 2007, 22:21
Well i am being picked up to go to the airport at 05.30 so i'll be in Orlando by this time tomorrow .:) :)

If anyone wants to meet up in Orlando for a drink or chat before Saturday Feel free to PM me , my schedule is fairly quiet apart from Thursday:cool:

See you soon

SASless
26th Feb 2007, 23:22
Shawn....I suppose dinner and the bottle of Grouse is still on!:)

NickLappos
27th Feb 2007, 02:07
Count me in, I will be in the Hall thurs and Friday, mostly around the HeliOps/HeliTac booth, but also wandering, and then saturday Night even SASLess's jokes can't keep me away from the pprune bash!

B Sousa
27th Feb 2007, 05:11
"saturday Night even SASLess's jokes can't keep me away from the pprune bash!"
Hear that SAS?? Nicks buyin...........

"maybe I'll just crash your bash? I'm sure I'll run into you guys there!"

Rotorgirl. The Helicopter Pilots will be the easy ones to Identify. They will be the gentlemen in suit and tie. sipping drinks in quiet conversation..........................................NOT

Shawn Coyle
27th Feb 2007, 13:29
SASless - I'd be pleased to do that.
See me at the booth.
Shawn

aspinwing
27th Feb 2007, 17:12
Much regret having to cancel two for Saturday night. Mrs. A and I were due to start driving south yesterday; however, 15 y.o. A Jr is in the cardiac section of the childrens' hospital in Toronto haveing a pacemaker implanted today or tomorrow and five days of pre-op testing prior to heart transplant.:ugh: as soon as a suitable donor is found.
Sign your donor cards.
Please hoist one for him on Saturday.

B Sousa
27th Feb 2007, 19:44
Our Thoughts are with you..........
Email me a name and address, I have a couple Helicopter hats.
[email protected]

I will bet some others here do also.

Bert

rotorrookie
28th Feb 2007, 00:42
Can't come over due to work :{ :{ :{ :{ :{ life is a bi**h and I was gonna check out bikeweek in Daytona as well:{ :{ :{ :{

chester2005
28th Feb 2007, 00:52
Arrived at last.

Staying within staggering distance from the Steak and Ale and the Convention Centre, good plaanning!!!

Day of leisure tomorrow, might try and find an airboat anyone any suggestions?

Aspinwing likewise my thoughts are with you i'm sure we'll all raise a glass for you on Saturday.

B Sousa
1st Mar 2007, 00:47
Off to the Airport. LAS/MCO Direct......See ya all there..............

vaqueroaero
1st Mar 2007, 19:34
I shan't be there - my son is 6 weeks old today, so I'll be looking at stuff with him. Maybe next time. Enjoy!!

SASless
1st Mar 2007, 22:16
Bring yer check book Nick....I am going to take a peeky poo at the 40' Baba I told yuz about in St. Pete! If I consume enough adult malt beverage I can probably be drunk and silly enough to put a deposit on the thing.

Gerhardt
2nd Mar 2007, 18:16
Good choice keeping VaqueroJr. away from this crowd. They'd have him dressed in nomex onsies and most would probably be spitting up right along side him.

Six weeks is a good age and it just keeps getting better.

vaqueroaero
2nd Mar 2007, 19:56
Who's to say that doesn't happen at home already?!!:}

B Sousa
3rd Mar 2007, 00:59
Had a pre-prune dinner and the Snake and Tail last night. Other than its close to the Convention center, the food and service sucked......too late now.

See ya there tomorrow night. How will we recognize each other.....ha ha

SASless
3rd Mar 2007, 02:15
Just look for a cotton bale with the center tie busted!

That will be the Sassy fellow.....the one with no hair and a beard....Nick will be the one with hair and no beard.

Bert dear lad....we will be able to hear your flat feet flopping as you plod your way into the bar......we'll have the bar tender wave a couple of doughnuts about the place to lure you in.

Gephardt will be flashing photos of his kids and looking out for Gold Lame Go-Go boots and a bee hive hairdo as Fair Whirls has offered to see him have a premature demise.

Knowing how bad our hearing is....we'll be the loudest bunch in the bar.

cyclicmick
3rd Mar 2007, 13:56
For the benefit of those of us who can't make the bash,:{ I hope that photographic evidence will be posted in due course!!;)

aspinwing
4th Mar 2007, 01:02
I hope that you are all well 'in to it' by now.
For those whose responded so kindly and generously, here and via e-mail and pm's I will respond in the next twenty-four hours. Of course you lot may not be able to read anything.
I have posted much more detail at: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3159167#post3159167
More to follow.
Thank you all again.

B Sousa
4th Mar 2007, 03:14
Nick was not around but according to Sasless, he bought a round. thanks Nick.
A rather quiet evening and conversation for some of the Wrinkled Plum Society.
Three days of Convention/conference took its toll on many , but it was a sucess for HAI. (and me) three bags of pens and misc advertising material plus more baggage tags than I will need in the next two lietimes.
Watch out for the A119, its gonna kick some serious butt in the next year or so......
Also interesting to shake hands with Mr Sergi Sikorsky and of course get the autographed DVD.