PDA

View Full Version : Up to 8Mb

Cheerio
11th Dec 2006, 09:06
I recently gave in to one of those offers for a free upgrade from a 2Mb ADSL connection to an 'up to 8Mb' connection.

Unimpressed is an understatement. I used to get consistently good data rates on the 2Mb connection, but now, sometimes I would be better with a 28Kb dial-up. I have waited a month or so for it to settle down, but for me at least, I feel I have ended up worse off than before. The fastest I have seen is 3.5Mb, so it has got the legs, but more often than not during the evenings, it slows right down to a modem like crawl.

Maybe it is 'up to 8Mb' but more often than not it is substantially 'below 2Mb'

I'd like to go back to my old connection if I could, as I was very happy with its reliability. Does anyone else have a similar experience, or is 'up to 8Mb' more normally a good thing?

Saab Dastard
11th Dec 2006, 09:52
I think the advertising slogan for this should be:

"I upped my connection speed, up yours"!

:}

SD

Selfloading
11th Dec 2006, 16:16
Who is your ISP, I was with NTL/Virgin until a couple of weeks ago, but the bandwidth in the evenings became so bad that i gave them the flick, with Newnet now and so far so good, hasn't dropped below 3 meg.

Cheerio
11th Dec 2006, 16:29
Yep, its Virgin / NTL...............

Selfloading
11th Dec 2006, 16:52
Had a feeling it might be :ugh:

Cheerio
11th Dec 2006, 17:27
I just did a bit of googling, it looks like they have bad contention problems on the 8M ADSL Max service, I've just requested to downgrade back to 2M Datastream which ought to be more consistent. They did it with no problem. The guy agreed it ought to be better.

Selfloading
11th Dec 2006, 17:38
Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Daysleeper
13th Dec 2006, 07:26
Speed Down 6535.77 Kbps ( 6.4 Mbps )
Speed Up 371.92 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps )

Thats with zen.co.uk pretty consistent but it did take a long time to settle down after first switching over.

there's a lot of stuff on thinkbroadband.com

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/a1234567890.jpg