PDA

View Full Version : Small printers

A and C
10th Dec 2006, 13:01
I am looking for a small printer that is compact enough to be able to be used with my laptop when "on the road"

The aim is to leave the Jepps at home and just print what I need when I need it.

I have looked at using the jepveiw in the air on a tablet but I dont think that the system is reliable enough so a small printer seems to be the answer.

Any advice ?

IO540
11th Dec 2006, 08:28
I have the Canon Pixma IP90 colour inkjet, c. £180 - excellent for this type of application; occassional printing. You wouldn't want it as your home printer, due to the tiny cartridges and consequent cost per page.

There is the Pentax Pocketjet (http://www.pentaxtech.com/)which is B&W and which I have seen the output of, and the 300dpi version looks excellent for approach plates. Uses special paper but not the super expensive printer used by the dye sub photo printers. This printer costs a fair bit too, about £400.

Given that one has to carry a laptop anyway, a charger for it, various other bits, I don't consider the IP90 a problem. It's very lightweight. I believe it's available with bluetooth (fairly pointless since a cable is so simple and far more likely to work) and an external battery pack. I didn't buy the battery pack since in any situation where I wanted to print plates I also had a mains supply for the laptop.

There is very little else out there, as far as I can see, which will product big enough paper. There are several other printers, Canon I believe, which look very nice but are only A7.

gizmocat
11th Dec 2006, 17:24
Canon is certainly the way to go imho. Been using them with laptops for years. Very reliable, both colour and b&w.

IO540
13th Dec 2006, 06:04
Which Canons?

gizmocat
13th Dec 2006, 07:36
BJC-80 is the colour one I use. Not sure if they are still available though, mine is about six years old.

A and C
13th Dec 2006, 08:00
Thanx for the comments guys.

IO540
13th Dec 2006, 08:31
This is most annoying... :) I have been looking for small printers for a while but completely missed this one. However, having just downloaded the user manual from Canon, it talks about win3.1 and win95 so it's about 10 years old. It doesn't appear to be openly sold anymore but there are some going on Ebay.

It is also only IR or parallel Centronics, not USB, and that will be a hassle since IR is flakey and centronics uses a thick cable. I guess this is why people looking at Canon will go for the IP90 instead.

Keef
13th Dec 2006, 17:11
I bought a BJC80 on Ebay five or so years ago. I think I paid about £40. It works very well with my laptop using IR. I only put a black cartridge in it (being a cheapskate). I got a box of ten cartridges for about a tenner.

It's been on several US trips and is invaluable for printing out plogs after I've done all the planning and plotting. It needs its jets cleaned out once in a while, but nowhere near as often as the Epson I used to use.

All in all, an excellent little printer. Not having to cart around a lead is in its favour.

IO540
13th Dec 2006, 19:03
How are you powering it, Keef?

seacue
13th Dec 2006, 23:23
I use a USB to parallel adapter cable on my old HP laser printer. The cable is very thin. It works fine. Cost was about US$30.

I think USB to Centronics adapter cables are also available.

For example: https://www.cablesforless.com/ProductImages/usb/ATN-UC1284B1.jpg
I have never bought from these people and include the URL just to give you an idea of what is available. Absolutely no endorsement is intended.

seacue