PDA

View Full Version : Daily Telegraph

insty66
9th Dec 2006, 09:13
Apologies if this has been posted before but I think it is worth a read.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml;jsessionid=ADSENBIWKP25XQFIQMFSFGGAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/opinion/2006/12/09/do0901.xml

regards

I66

Olly O'Leg
9th Dec 2006, 09:27
I did a Remembrance Day parade at our adopted city in Canada about 6 or 7 years ago. Afterwards, we all popped into a local juicer for a pint or 2, in our No 1s, and were welcomed with open arms. The Old Boys had also gone in there for a drink and we all got totally smashed up together - they were ex-Canadian Forces and we were RAF. Some of them even shed a tear because they hadn't seen the uniform in a fair while. We had a German officer with us who was on exchange at the time. When he came into the pub in his parade uniform there was a few minutes of unease until he came in with a tray of whiskies and gave a tear-rendering speech about how we're all on the same side now and friends etc etc. We spent the entire evening in our uniforms (even went to an Ice Hockey game later on) and never had one single problem.

Try it over here and the looks you get........ :eek:

Rev I. Tin
9th Dec 2006, 09:49
Correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember in the dim and distant past that QRs forbids the wearing of uniform in a pub!!

Probably one of those old rules like underpants inspections, saluting for your pay etc

PPRuNeUser0211
9th Dec 2006, 11:54
Rev- you are correct "except where part of official duties"

Rev I. Tin
9th Dec 2006, 13:39
pba, thanks for the clarification

What about me free underpants check, officially of course:ouch:

revik
9th Dec 2006, 14:15
Recall several moons ago (the Wall was possibly just being dismantled) all decant post BoB CP at West Drayton to the Bee Hive at WWaltham. Glorious evening, pint mugs in hands, all in No 1s - could have been 1940. Superb!

Faithless
9th Dec 2006, 14:26
Correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember in the dim and distant past that QRs forbids the wearing of uniform in a pub!!

Probably one of those old rules like underpants inspections, saluting for your pay etc

When you have just buried one of your muckers who gives a flying fcuk about QRs? Not me thats for sure......Because your mate now 6 foot under was that man following the rules.......You tell me where the rules are quoted to thoses arseholes slotting our lads and lasses on daily basis?

Rev I. Tin
9th Dec 2006, 14:29
When you have just buried one of your muckers who gives a flying fcuk about QRs? Not me thats for sure......Because your mate now 6 foot under was that man following the rules.......You tell me where the rules are quoted to thoses arseholes slotting our lads and lasses on daily basis?

Chill your herbs chum. Never said I agreed with it.

soddim
9th Dec 2006, 14:51
Perhaps it is time that serving military who use public transport in jobs such as MOD wore uniform to work in order to remind people that service men and women are part of our society - an important part.

bongof4
9th Dec 2006, 14:57
Rev I Tin
Nonsense, how many emabassy/dipo tours have you done?

Rev I. Tin
9th Dec 2006, 15:01
Bong,

You are getting me mixed up with my brother.

SASless
9th Dec 2006, 16:04
Ah, the good ol' days.....the Pub would not have past issues with us! The entire unit would have shown up the next night and there would be current issues! The OC would have been there with transport waiting and promised dire punishment to each of the guilty involved. Said punishment would have consisted of crates of cold beer in the wagons for the ride back to barracks.:ugh:

toddbabe
9th Dec 2006, 19:40
Perhaps it is time that serving military who use public transport in jobs such as MOD wore uniform to work in order to remind people that service men and women are part of our society - an important part.
Yes that will do it why don't you just paint a big red cross on the side of the train or bus whilst your at it!

MReyn24050
9th Dec 2006, 20:35
Yes that will do it why don't you just paint a big red cross on the side of the train or bus whilst your at it!

Back in the 1960s Servicemen and woman would wear uniform when travelling home on leave but the Northern Ireland situation put a stop to that for obvious reasons but today I do not understand the reasoning behind your post. Why should they not travel in uniform today?

vecvechookattack
10th Dec 2006, 17:02
Thats very true but nowadays its not only allowed but the wearing of uniform in public is positively encouraged....

philrigger
11th Dec 2006, 07:49

;)
Read the article - If I had just been to my mates funeral - "fkuc QRs". !!

'We knew how to whinge but we kept it in the NAAFI bar.'

GPMG
11th Dec 2006, 08:35
This was posted on a Royal Marine website and has a few details that may be of interest.

"******* ******* is a former Bootneck, resident in Liverpool, supplier of Doormen to most establishments, but not the Walkabout.

At the funeral there were 100+ Bootnecks. Including the bearer party there were 20 - 30 in Blues and white gear. 40 or 50 were in civvies.

****** has said that he has never seen a better time in the city at night. All the pubs were throbbing, women were draping themselves over Royal and departing pubs in squadrons for establishments where bronzed young gods were holding sway. Royal could not buy a drink. They were being handed ale all night. Nobody caused any problems.

At one pub they closed the doors, two lads got up and promised a full monty if their kit was bought for charity, (we know the charity http://s3.images.proboards.com/wink.gif)
Every button and badge was bought, raising approx £3000.

Apparently every Royal in Blues had most of his buttons and badges removed by females of the species, I'm sure Royal removed more for his own enjoyment.

Therefore it is possible that the doormen at the Walkabout were confronted by Bootnecks and birds in civvies with two lads in half blues. Their closure policy and the previously mentioned uniform policy were invoked.

Bars have similar dress codes for civvies, I agree with ******, anywhere with a uniform bar these days, is out of touch with public sentiment. What I would emphasise is that this was a funeral, the wake that followed was by all accounts a monumental success and I'm certain that Cpl Nowacks family and friends were as proud of Royal, and their behaviour as we are. I'm also certain that Cpl Nowack would have been at the front of the queue to get his kit off, being a PTI. http://s3.images.proboards.com/wink.gif

RIP Mate, you definitely won't be forgotten. "

Faithless
11th Dec 2006, 19:09
This was posted on a Royal Marine website and has a few details that may be of interest.

"******* ******* is a former Bootneck, resident in Liverpool, supplier of Doormen to most establishments, but not the Walkabout.

At the funeral there were 100+ Bootnecks. Including the bearer party there were 20 - 30 in Blues and white gear. 40 or 50 were in civvies.

****** has said that he has never seen a better time in the city at night. All the pubs were throbbing, women were draping themselves over Royal and departing pubs in squadrons for establishments where bronzed young gods were holding sway. Royal could not buy a drink. They were being handed ale all night. Nobody caused any problems.

At one pub they closed the doors, two lads got up and promised a full monty if their kit was bought for charity, (we know the charity http://s3.images.proboards.com/wink.gif)
Every button and badge was bought, raising approx £3000.

Apparently every Royal in Blues had most of his buttons and badges removed by females of the species, I'm sure Royal removed more for his own enjoyment.

Therefore it is possible that the doormen at the Walkabout were confronted by Bootnecks and birds in civvies with two lads in half blues. Their closure policy and the previously mentioned uniform policy were invoked.

Bars have similar dress codes for civvies, I agree with ******, anywhere with a uniform bar these days, is out of touch with public sentiment. What I would emphasise is that this was a funeral, the wake that followed was by all accounts a monumental success and I'm certain that Cpl Nowacks family and friends were as proud of Royal, and their behaviour as we are. I'm also certain that Cpl Nowack would have been at the front of the queue to get his kit off, being a PTI. http://s3.images.proboards.com/wink.gif

RIP Mate, you definitely won't be forgotten. "

Great stuff....God Bless ya mate.