PDA

View Full Version : Current CX pay scale?

makchunyinjohnny
8th Dec 2006, 19:24
Hi All,

I’m taking flying lesson and I can see myself obtaining a frozen ATPL in the near future. I’d like to work for Cathay someday, but I can’t help thinking whether I should join the cadet program or work a couple of years and get the experience needed to join as an expatriate (I have HK/British dual nationality).

I did a bit of research in this forum and apparently someone offered advice like “Don’t join as a local pilot if you have the option.” I understand that expat gets a better package, but what other difference is there? Could someone please enlighten me with the current local and expat pay scale? What is “A” scale, “B” scale and so? Any information would be very much appreciated, as my knowledge of the professional business in as deep as a pond!

Cheers,
Johnny

Numero Crunchero
9th Dec 2006, 05:23
As an LEP(locally employed pilot) you get similar medical and travel benefits. Expat ones I think are slightly better. the HUGE difference is the housing.
first 2 years about $22.5month, next 6years about $45K per month, then about $55K till command then about $73K...the numbers change every month as they are indexed to local prices.
As an LEP you get $0 till command then you get $24K per month after.

Forgot to mention, if you decide to buy a place in HKG, as an expat, you get the $45K (but it is taxed at 16%) per month.

Same salary whether LEP or expat. You can take a basing as LEP or expat. Forget A scales...we are a dieing breed. Salary as SO starts around $35K per month and you get PF contribution of 15.5%.
Hope the gets you going...get experience outside CX...will help you better survive the 'CX experience' ;-)

makchunyinjohnny
12th Dec 2006, 14:51
Numero Crunchero,

Thank you very much for your advice and information, they are very useful and I really appreciate it! Also, thanks for being straight forward and just laying down figures. You don't really see this style in the forum!

Johnny

Numero Crunchero
12th Dec 2006, 18:27
makchunyinjohnny
you are most welcome....unlike my ex wife you seem to appreciate straight up honesty. Jokes aside, PPRUNE can be useful as long as you know what to filter out. I post under the assumption that everyone knows who I am(and I have had 2 mates already identify me-yess 404, you are one of them) but what that does is stop me from being inflamatory or argumentative just for the hell of it.
By the way, I will always try to present facts, not opinion, but being a pilot that can be dificult.
I still believe PPRUNE can be an incredibly useful exchange or info as long as we dont get into personal slagging matches.

If you want to know anything extra just private message me, cheers

Hugh Gorgen
15th Dec 2006, 08:38
NC,

Please allow me to say that your frank, factual comments are a godsend to pilots with ambitions to join Cathay.
Along with members such as 404, SF etc, you have provided me with vasts amounts of relevant information. Armed with such information, I was recently offered a position with Cathay.

I sincerely thankyou for your efforts and strongly encourage you to maintain the "rage" to the benefit of future Cathay applicants.

Cheers,

HG;)

Kane Toed
16th Dec 2006, 09:30
And anything else that might come up between them?

Numero Crunchero
20th Dec 2006, 17:13
Hmmmm Kane toed
dont worry...if we fly together I promise not to be this nice to you nor will it ever be my shout!
You must be on the 400....those of us on the tupperware plane are much nicer to each other.!!!!

It is kinda funny that on a forum such as this, read mostly by Type A personalities, there is zero tolerance of the niceities. We are all supposed to be rude and interogative...no help or support allowed!!!!!

Anyway, makchunyinjohnny and Hugh Gorgen, good luck with it all and you are welcome. Most of CX people are far less cynical than mr froggie etc ;-)