PDA

View Full Version : C172 emergency landing in egypt

hghazoly
8th Dec 2006, 18:31
this is some how something egyptians think it is top secret :) , the well know M.F.I ( the onlyflight school in egypt) ( Misr flying institue ), the C172 SU-BKL owned and operated by the MFI had engine failure just few minutes after take off from AL-Arish (HEAR) airport runway 16, the very high trained Cap Akmal and 1 student were onboard when they had the engine failure at 1800 feet, the X airforce Cap Akmal managed to land the aircraft safely in the desert with no damage to the aircraft, the problem is that the MFI is no longer operating the Cessna 172 since that engine failure, i hope you could tell me if you heared of any TAE engine failures, i think Mercedes Benz failed with that engine, this engine is a real problem with the very bad FADEC system.

ATC Watcher
8th Dec 2006, 18:51
I think this post is best for private flying forum, and I am sure you will find in there plenty of cases where the Thielert Diesels failed .( just do a search ) But to Thieler's credit you will find that most cases, being unrelated, are being quicly addressed by the manufacturer, and rectifications are found. You have just to remember that it is a brand new Engine combination for General aviation, and that theeting problems are not uncommon.

Winter operation is also another problem, especially if you use car Diesel instead of JETA1 , although I will not think in Egypt you had negative temperatures when this hapened .

Trentino
8th Dec 2006, 19:34
I have 2500 hours in a cessna, does that qualify me as a captain too?

engine failures in a 172 are a total non event, anyone worth the oxygen they consume should get the thing down relativly well.

I had one quit on me at just above 1000agl and made a 180, good thing the 737 behind me heard me and stopped his t/o roll

deeceethree
8th Dec 2006, 20:20
Trentino, my impression is that the instructor was ex-airforce of the rank of Captain.

And no, that does not make you a captain!

BRUpax
8th Dec 2006, 20:42
I had one quit on me at just above 1000agl and made a 180

With single engined a/c I always thought doing a 180 was supposed to be a no-no with an engine failure?

Baron Von Mildred
8th Dec 2006, 21:52
A 180 at 1000agl is at or above circuit height. Shouldn't be a problem assuming you're still within glide distance of a suitable landing site. Hot & high I suppose you could already be too far out, but at least you'll be nearer the emergency service (if there is any). A 180 at 200ft is another matter........

ATC Watcher
9th Dec 2006, 06:39
I have 2500 hours in a cessna, does that qualify me as a captain too?
engine failures in a 172 are a total non event, anyone worth the oxygen they consume should get the thing down relativly well.
I had one quit on me at just above 1000agl and made a 180, good thing the 737 behind me heard me and stopped his t/o roll

With 2500h on type you should know better than to do a 180 at 1000ft, and especially advertise it to perhaps no so experienced readers.:hmm:

The " captain " is possibly the translation from the local language . In French,for instance, any pilot in command is " commandant de bord" which is also a military rank. . Be a bit kinder to forgeiners.

But before trying to ridicule his post, the question about reliability of TAE engines he asked is a very interesting one, which is being heavily debated in many Clubs today when an engine replacement is due.

A friend of mine had one quit on him recently on a DA40 and the cause is still being investigated, beleived to be electric. As despite 2 FADEC and 2 batteries , if you lose electric power, the engine will stop.

Trentino
9th Dec 2006, 15:22
ATC watcher, I advertised facts, I made that 180 for some pretty good reasons. Winds aloft, terrain ahead, etc.

I wasnt ridiculing him, unfortunatly the internet inhibits one from seeing expressions and hearing conversational tones. It was a light hearted post at worst.

ATC Watcher
10th Dec 2006, 09:12
Sorry Trentino, I had read your post differently as you obviously meant it.
Agree also on your remark for the 180@1000ft , but too many tried this regardless of the wind and ended in a a stall , forgetting that at 45 degr bank with a windmilling prop your Vs is not the same.

Also a C172, of all aircraft, with a dead engine and 30 or even 40 deg flaps ( as recommended by Cessna !) is not known for his gliding abilities. :hmm: