PDA

View Full Version : Are all PPL holders arrogant, ignorant pompous trolls?

Juud
8th Dec 2006, 13:51
link (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255307) ;)

BRL
8th Dec 2006, 14:13
Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, next time I see you I will be cross..... :D

Juud
8th Dec 2006, 17:28
Just a wee joke L :)

Thanks for not deleting it right away mate. :ok:

aluminium persuader
8th Dec 2006, 19:06
Mrs Persuader certainly thinks I am! ;)

Flyin'Dutch'
8th Dec 2006, 19:43
[COLOR="Magenta"]Are all PPL holders arrogant, ignorant pompous trolls?

Yes, can't you tell?

:}

eharding
8th Dec 2006, 20:17
Are all PPL holders arrogant, ignorant pompous trolls? link (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255307) ;)

Milk and two sugars please, pet.

Nipper2
8th Dec 2006, 20:50
I find that if you address the cabin crew as 'Maid' or 'Wench' it calms their nerves nicely....

Re-Heat
9th Dec 2006, 08:30
Many are unfortunately. Makes my life dangerous at weekends as a fellow PPL, when some sky god thinks a non-standard circuit join is fine, as he wants to do it.

Can't understand why these people don't relax on a commercial flight, shut up and enjoy the ride. I do. Not all PPLs are like that.

Juud
9th Dec 2006, 12:04
eharding & Nipper2, you obviously have the talent, but you need WAY more practice.
Now let me show you how the big boys do it:

Flight's 35 mins blocks to blocks, 180 pax of whom 52 in business class, (all of whom will need to be fed & watered and served coffee after that) there's 3 FAs and the FSB sign has been switched off 3 secs ago. (that is 7 mins of the 35 GONE!)
DING DONG!!
"Jude here"
"Jude could you step into the cockpit pet?"
frantic look at watch
"Sure Captain, on my way"
"Ah there you are darling, everything OK in the cabin, lovely morning isn't it?"
feckit, get on with it mate, that's 9 minutes gone
"Anything I can do for you guys, tea, coffee, a snack?"
"Oooh we have snacks do we, what kind my dear?"
"The usual Captn, same we've been having for the past 6 months, scampi salad or blueberry pancakes"
11 minutes gone
"Well I'm not sure, John would you like the scampi?"
"No no no Captn, YOU have the scampi, I don't mind at all"
"No need to be so formal John, YOU have it"
"Eeermm guys, I'm in a bit of a hurry here, why don't I bring you both and then you decide in your own good time?"
12 minutes gone, nervous tension is now getting to me, starting to break a sweat
"Excellent idea pet, that's what we'll do! Oh and please, John, what would you like to drink? Coffee, tea?"
"I'll have coke-light please, do we have a slice of lemon Jude?"
"Sure mate, nurries. How about you Captn?"
"Coffee's fresh is it?"
of course it's fecking fresh, it's 0645 in the frigging morning, you think I saved it from last night???
"Yes Captain, coffee's fresh, just brewed it myself"
"Oh well, I think I'll have a nice cuppa tea then. Any Earl Grey about?"
"No Captn, just regular I'm afraid"
where the hell does he think he is? The fecking Ritz?? :confused:
"Oh well, mustn't keep you, I'm sure you're busy"
no sh!t Sherlock
"Please could I havere regular milk, I really don't like the powdered stuff, and my wife's telling me to watch my weight so could I have one sweetener and half a sugar please?"
"Coming up guys, and could you please just open the door when I knock so I won't have to call again?"
"Sure Jude, just one thing though sweetheart; as Purser you really should learn to relax a bit, you seem a tad tense there"

Guys, THAT'S how it's done! ;)

Chesty Morgan
9th Dec 2006, 12:15
:D :D :D :D ahhh I can't wait to get back to work!:}

Coffee black one please, milk no sugar:E

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
9th Dec 2006, 23:16
"Are all PPL holders arrogant, ignorant pompous trolls?"

Speaking as a former air traffic controller and holder of a PPL dated 1971; in many cases, yes. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. When they die, it's often unfortunate that others get tainted.

Ronald Jeremy
10th Dec 2006, 16:04
Perhaps a member of the cabin crew sisterhood who holds a PPL would like to comment ? Oops, sorry, perhaps there aren't any :O

acuba 290
10th Dec 2006, 16:14
"Are all PPL holders arrogant, ignorant pompous trolls?"

Speaking as a former air traffic controller and holder of a PPL dated 1971; in many cases, yes. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. When they die, it's often unfortunate that others get tainted.

typical to hear from professionals...;) :ok:

Sleeve Wing
10th Dec 2006, 16:26
Perhaps a member of the cabin crew sisterhood who holds a PPL would like to comment ? Oops, sorry, perhaps there aren't any :O

Oops, careful, RJ !
There are quite a few(and some who are also FATPL and/or FIs, just waiting patiently for a job at the pointy end.)
The ones I knew were bl**dy good too.
I'm sure one would be glad to take you to task............

SW

Norfolk Newbie
10th Dec 2006, 18:19
Are all PPL holders arrogant, ignorant pompous trolls?

What!

Another test I have to pass before I get my PPL? :p

eharding
10th Dec 2006, 18:30
What!

Another test I have to pass before I get my PPL? :p

Steady there, NN - you only have to get 80%, and it's multi-choice. The Confuser has a few sample questions; for example.

Q) You are a newly minted PPL on a commercial flight - will upbraiding the cabin crew over safety matters result in:

a) Instant recognition of your superior status, and an immediate seat upgrade.

b) An invitation to the flight deck, and the opportunity dispense tips and guidance to the Captain and FO.

c) Optrex in your coffee.

Easy peasy.

VORTIME
10th Dec 2006, 21:06
Yes - every pilot thinks they're better than the next one, they would have made a better decision if faces with the facts preceding an accident. It the same reason eejits buy shares/bonds - they KNOW for a fact Mastercard is a big company and everyone has one so therefore they MUST go up... The fact is, like stock markets, the true experts (ATPLs) know a lot more than PPLs and then burnt less often... it's really rather simple (I know better than all the other posters, because I'm human....errr...)

VT

Flying Lawyer
10th Dec 2006, 22:43
What happened to the PPRuNe principles of not making personal attacks on other posters and playing the ball not the player? :confused:

If I over-reacted in such a petulant way every time someone said something critical about a lawyer or lawyers in general, I'd have no time left to post anything else.

fernytickles
10th Dec 2006, 22:58
Juud,

Great little description :ok:

Wholigan
11th Dec 2006, 17:04
Hmmmmmm. Herein I see a response to a thread title of "Are all stewardesses airheads?” with a jocular title of “Are all PPL holders arrogant, ignorant pompous trolls?" (Please note the “wink” icon behind the “link”.)

I personally found it quite amusing to see “addressing like with like”, especially when the rest of the contributors seemed to see the joke (well almost the rest), and joined in with some good natured banter themselves (vis “milk and two sugars please, pet” and “I find that if you address the cabin crew as 'Maid' or 'Wench' it calms their nerves nicely....” and even “coffee black one please, milk no sugar”). Well maybe they and I have a weird sense of humour. Furthermore, the subsequent responses from the thread starter seemed to continue in the same light-hearted vein.

Having perused the thread from start to finish, I am really sorry but I seem to be unable to find any traces of “making personal attacks on other posters and playing the ball not the player”. I must be getting blind and/or confused in my old age.

And as for “If I over-reacted in such a petulant way ……”, all I can say is ------- well, actually, words fail me.

Ronald Jeremy
11th Dec 2006, 21:23
What takes longer, a witty riposte from a PPL CC or a gin and tonic ?

Good to see you back Jude, now where's my G&T ? :ok:

G-AWZK
12th Dec 2006, 06:22
Flying Lawyer, when someone recognises himself in the description "arrogant, ignorant pompous troll", it is logical that he feels offended. Funny how nobody else has taken offence eh?

Flying Lawyer
12th Dec 2006, 07:49
G-AWZK

If you read the link, you'll see the target of "arrogant, ignorant and pompous" is bigelz1214, a PPL who posted in another forum.
The originator of this thread has already suggested there that he has 'limited brains' which are 'firmly stuck up his bum' and also accused him of being 'a disgrace to his licence' for some reason.

This thread is 'jocular' only in the sense that the originator isn't really suggesting that all PPLs fit the description and, in contrast to the thread in the other forum, people here have responded in good humour. Thankfully, we very rarely have personal attacks in this forum.

You, and those who agree with you, are entitled to your view. Mine is that describing another poster in those terms is a personal attack. If we all held the same opinions about everything, PPRuNe would be a very dull place.

Feel free to think what you wish of me.

rustle
12th Dec 2006, 07:59
FWIW I agree with you Flying Lawyer. :ok:

Wholigan
12th Dec 2006, 09:32
Flying Lawyer, although your comments seem mainly to be addressed to G-AWZK, I should like to place it on the record that I do – of course – agree totally and wholeheartedly with your basic premise that describing another poster in these terms is a personal attack and – naturally – should not be tolerated on PPRuNe. But then you are, of course, fully aware that my opinion of personal attacks (from wherever they may issue), is that they are intolerable.

As far as you'll see the target of "arrogant, ignorant and pompous" is bigelz1214 (sic), a PPL who posted in another forum is concerned, I have to admit that it does seem odd that you would post a criticism of said poster in an entirely different thread, indeed another forum entirely (without making it clear that bigelz1215 was indeed the target), rather than in the thread to which your criticism of personal attacks should apply. Most unlike a lawyer to leave anything open to misinterpretation, but I suppose we all have moments when we make untypical and unlikely errors. I certainly do.

However, your statement that the originator of this thread has already suggested there that he has his 'limited brains firmly stuck up his bum’ could perhaps be interpreted as only a partially correct version of the actual situation. Even though you carefully use the word “suggested”, your chosen phraseology does imply that you do actually think that bigelz1215 was specifically being told that he had limited brains and that they were stuck firmly up his bum, whereas what the originator of this thread said is Extrapolating from bigelz1215's post and using his brand of logic, should we infer that all PPL holders are arrogant, ignorant pompous trolls with their limited brains firmly stuck up their bums? This is a slight but significant difference as I am sure you will agree, merely being a suggestion by association that the individual himself indeed has that particular brain/bum interface situation.

However, I do agree that the originator of this thread did say bigelz1215, you're a disgrace to your licence.[QUOTE]

I believe (perhaps erroneously) that this is merely an opinion which she is entitled to state and does not constitute a personal attack.

For example, if I were to say that someone was a pompous, arrogant, self-important, pretentious, haughty, conceited, egotistical, superior, supercilious, condescending, vindictive, spiteful, malicious, cruel, mean, hurtful, nasty, unkind, malevolent, wicked, mean-spirited, heartless, revengeful, resentful, bitter, ruthless, uncharitable, ingratiating, sycophantic, obsequious, fawning, toadying, slimy, smarmy, greasy, oily, slippery, creepy, unctuous, foul, offensive, nauseating, sickening, vile, ghastly, unpleasant, dangerous prat, then that would be a personal attack for which I should be tied to the mast and given 20 lashes.

However, if I were to see an RAF officer strolling down the street in uniform with a fag on, jacket undone, hat in hand and other hand in pocket, I might well say to him “you are a disgrace to your uniform” and I would be entitled to so give my opinion, and that would not – in my view – constitute a personal attack, but rather be my opinion of how he is representing the RAF. There are – naturally – subtle nuances which mean that each and every case will always be adjudged differently by various people, but – as you yourself say - [QUOTE]If we all held the same opinions about everything, PPRuNe would be a very dull place.

A merry Christmas and a happy new year.

flybywire
12th Dec 2006, 09:43

Hahahahahaha!!! You are so wrong mate.....there are many more cabin crew who hold a PPL than you can imagine...!! :D

flybywire
12th Dec 2006, 09:50
Just a wee joke L :)

Juud....as I have said in the sister thread on the SLF forum sometimes radio frequencies transmit pure simple comedies :E does that mean all Private Pilots are airheads then ;) :}

Wholigan
12th Dec 2006, 09:58
flybywire - there are many more cabin crew who hold a PPL than you can imagine...!!

Indeed! Plus those who hold CPLs and frozen ATPLs.

:ok:

flybywire
12th Dec 2006, 11:10
[B]

Indeed! Plus those who hold CPLs and frozen ATPLs.

:ok:

So, according to our friend in the SLF forum it would be a serious case of being both airheads and arrogant ignorant pompuous trolls :E ;) :}

Ronald Jeremy
13th Dec 2006, 21:53
there are many more cabin crew who hold a PPL than you can imagine...!! :D

If you have a frozen ATPL then be a poppet and fetch some ice for my G&T. :ok:

Wholigan,

Unctuous is such a rich and satisfying word, thank you for the entertaining post.

DX Wombat
14th Dec 2006, 22:23
Flying Lawyer you do seem to be taking this rather personally when, to my mind at least, it doesn't appear to be a personal attack. Now, if the poster had said "Bigelz is ...etc" then it would be.
An interesting thought has just occurred to me, Bigelz isn't by any chance an alter ego of yours is he? :hmm: IF he is,(and I stress "IF"), then all I can say is you should know better than to have started the original post which is offensive to Cabin Crew and therefore you would deserve all that has been said which you, and apparently only you, finds offensive.

Flying Lawyer
15th Dec 2006, 00:57
No, not taking it personally and no, I'm not Bigelz. :)
It was just an observation with which people were free to agree, disagree or, as most have done, read it and not comment either way.

I think he was very unwise to choose the title he did, but I don't agree he deserved all that has been said. Perhaps that's because, as a member of the most unpopular and most criticised profession in the world, I've got used to reading far more offensive comments about lawyers. I admit I find some comments frustrating at times, but they're aimed at a 'group' not me personally so I'm not offended by them and have never tried to defend all lawyers - there are good and bad in all jobs.

I happen to disagree with every point Wholigan made, including those which began "you are, of course, fully aware" and "as I am sure you will agree." NB: That's not a criticism of him. It's a fairly standard debating tactic which I've used many times myself - and politicians use daily.
I saw no point in responding, partly because it was obvious we were never going to agree and partly because the discussion didn't seem to me to be important enough to pursue. I was, and am, content to agree to differ.

FL

flybywire
16th Dec 2006, 11:46
If you have a frozen ATPL then be a poppet and fetch some ice for my G&T. :ok:

Hahahahaha!! Thanks for that!! It is a brand new joke, I had never heard that before :rolleyes:

:E :E :E

Keef
17th Dec 2006, 12:13
What tickles my kinky sense of humour is that a troll makes one posting in one forum, is never heard from again, yet two threads in two fora seem to be flourishing from that seed.

I know several cabin crew, and wouldn't dare say a bad word about them ;)
I know lots of PPLs, and while a very few are plonqueurs, most are good friends and excellent people.

Which proves ... nobody's perfect.

That's my excuse when I screw up.

xraf
18th Dec 2006, 10:28
I for one am disappointed that Flying Lawyer didn't manage to get "mutatis mutandis" into his post.

I've never seen a legal opinion worth reading without that in it.

Good Point! :D

But dont forget the ever popular inter alia that tends to get a laugh at parties and who can forget the universally pleasing without prejudice.:E

Happy Xmas all
Xraf:ok:

MichaelR
18th Dec 2006, 12:49
Res ipsa loquitur!!

Merry christmas everyone.

Flying Lawyer
18th Dec 2006, 14:57
the ever popular inter alia that tends to get a laugh at parties
Latin phrases tend to get a laugh in court too, and have for some years - accompanied by eyes rolled Heavenwards and barely muffled groans from judges and other counsel. :)