PDA

View Full Version : Heli College in Langley BC

JRDriver
8th Dec 2006, 02:04
Hi guys,

any feedback on this school for NZ/Aust CPL(H) conversions.

Anyone that has actually converted their license thanks.

Anyone stayed in Langley, BC??

Cheers

JRD

HeliDriverNZ
8th Dec 2006, 03:55
Had a few mates go through there last season and they reckon they drag it out longer than is nessecary but they do an ok job apparently.
Every one I have talked to says Chinook is the one to go to they get you sorted quick smart, The other thing is get a medical in NZ/Aus before you go get copies of your Ecg and associated tests stamped by your medical examiner and sent to Transport Canada and they will validate it so you hit the ground running because you cant sit a flight test without one.
Hope this helps might see you there next year:)

JRDriver
8th Dec 2006, 06:16
good intel. thanks mate

JRD

paco
8th Dec 2006, 12:55
langley's a nice little town!

phil

Rotorhead77
8th Dec 2006, 16:46
Chinook is a good place to go. Also check out BC Helicopters across the airfield. (both are in Abbotsford) They tend to have a slightly lower student to instructor ratio. Less time waiting to go flying.

tony 1969
10th Dec 2006, 09:58
I can thoroughly recommend BC Heli at Abbotsford, I trained there a few years ago, if poss try and visit the schools before you start training then you can pick the best one for you, best of luck, Tony

paul abersynth
10th Dec 2006, 23:30
One of the most regrettable decisions in my life to go to HCC. All they cared about was the bottom line.....$$$$$ and had little practical knowledge whatsoever.Cost me about $5K more than the closest alternative. Highly experienced R22 pilot available, but very little commercial exposure short of depositing bank slips at TD Canada Bank. Steer clear guys. Con Con Con.

Go to Abbotsford and see Chinook. Real people real helicopters and real life.

Sorry HCC but you are a disaster.

PA

Darren999
11th Dec 2006, 00:50
JR Driver
A friend of mine trained at langley and really enjoyed his time there, he would recommend it. We pssed through there while ferrying AS350's to Alaska. Seemed a good place, just my 2 pennies worth for you

Darren

JRDriver
13th Dec 2006, 16:22
Have had some interesting posts lately prompting me to move this back to the top

CaptDean
13th Dec 2006, 16:55
I trained at Heli-Collage Canada. I found the Staff to be great and the Chief pilot is excellent.

There is no doubt that they do not hurry or push you though, but that is a good thing.

HCC has been running for decades, has produced, and converted thousands of pilots. I am sure they are as concerned about the dollars coming in as any other business is but calling them as scam is just wrong.

I know of the other two centers as well, BC Helicopters and Chinook. Both are well thought of.

HCC trains on R-22's, BC Heli uses Schweizer 300 and Chinook is Bell 47G2

I am partial to HCC because I know and trust them, having dealt with them for over 5 years. I still go back there for more training every year. I do not think you would go wrong with any of them.

cows'n'fish
14th Dec 2006, 18:14
I did my conversion back in March at Chinook Helicopters. I can say they do conversions very well. They have some very experienced instructors. Who if they like you, will help you sort through the vast array of companies to find the best job suitable. Kathy and Lyn are great and will get you all sorted out asap.

No, I don't have shares in the company.

As far as work 1500TT (accident free) is the magic number, particularly if you want to work in the oil and gas industry. Mountain courses are not mandatory unless you have to work for BC Forestry.

Hope this helps.

skippers
15th Dec 2006, 01:03
Hi there cows'n'fish

I am looking at heading out there, and will be converting from a auissie and nz cpl. Any suggestions on study material before heading out?

cows'n'fish
15th Dec 2006, 03:07
G'day skippers - You don't need anything, the gang at Chinook will hand it all to you. 2-3 weeks and you'll be all done. They have a really good program that is designed for you to learn and pass as quickly as possible.

Then all you have to do is get all the company exams done. Whimis, DG, Type exams, winter ops., H2S, IRP16, etc. (The last couple are oil industry ones) and then a PPC and your good to start earning some cash. You may not the oil and gas ones need but most AB and Northern BC companies need you to have these.

I've never seen so much training (in Oz) since my CPL theory.

It's a great country to work in, far ahead of the Oz industry. Pay is good, plus per diems (food allowance), plus truck or rental car at most jobs if needed, plus crew houses or motels, tours (between 3-6 weeks and paid time off- usually 2 weeks) plus, plus, plus.

I know some of the old hard heads will say that the Oz industry is good, but really have a look around. When will they start to give pilots what they deserve. It's a job, not a privilege to fly.

I should add that I did about 6000 hours flying in Oz and I plan to go back, someday.

Got abit off track there, sorry.

All the best in the great white north.

skippers
15th Dec 2006, 03:35
Thanks very much for that cows,
Any suggestions on were to look for work once the licence is in hand?
I know a few ppl who have worked at GSH and have had good things to say about them.
The OZ industry is not to bad. Much better than the NZ one anyway!

Might see you up there next year!

cows'n'fish
15th Dec 2006, 04:46
Depends abit on what you have. If you no turbine time, but at least 1500TT you could try GSH, Mustang, Bailey, Quest, Airborne Energy. Prisim is good but you need either longline time or at least H500 time. I know guys at all these companies and they all hire foreigners. All these companies will put you straight in a 206 then probably an Astar (Squirrel). I am assuming that you have 1500+, most companies will offer you something as they are really short of experienced drivers at present.

Less than 1500TT and it will be hard to find a job, because they have plenty of Canucks with that.

Most work 4 on 2 off, but 6 on 2 off is common as well. Just tell them what you want to fly and what schedule when you start, all they can say is "no"

skippers
16th Dec 2006, 20:37
Gidday again
I have over 1500tt so no dramas there. I also have some 206 and 500 time.
Thanks again for your info

Hughesy
16th Dec 2006, 21:25
I did mine at BC Helicopters. Having done a fair bit in the 300's it was why I chose them. Everything went smoothly and I had no real issues.
I got work with GSHL, and i found them pretty good to work for. I will be back up there for sure.
Canada is well worth doing for some good experience and seeing other ways of doing things.
If you go there, enjoy:ok:
Hughesy

skippers
17th Dec 2006, 00:38
Cheers Hughesy,

I hope to catch up and have a beer with u before you go back to. Hear u are down south at the moment.
Keep up the good work!