PDA

View Full Version : moving a/c by road ?

tangovictor
8th Dec 2006, 00:08
I wonder, how do people transport a/c by road, if the wings are not removable ?, obviously, a wide load transporter could be used, but an expensive option, ?

A and C
8th Dec 2006, 08:04
I don't know of a light aircraft that can't have the wings removed, Aircraft like the DR400 have a "one piece" wing so are a little more trouble to move but this is usualy from a loading point of view.

pistongone
8th Dec 2006, 08:33
Basic rule of engineering. If it whent together, you will be able to take it apart! Wings included.

sir.pratt
8th Dec 2006, 08:50
the dr400 has a whopping dihedral in it - seems the obvious place to pull 4 bolts and 2 aileron cables, plus the nav light wiring. should take about 30 mins a side......

shortstripper
8th Dec 2006, 09:47
As others have said, all aircraft can usually have their wings removed. I've not yet come across on that can't but if one existed I suppose it could be stood on its nose on a low loader .... Just watch out for low bridges :E

SS

A and C
8th Dec 2006, 09:50
The DR400 wing structure is a 28 ft long "box spar" that in effect the fuselarge sits on and is secured to with three bolts and two straps.

It is the simplicity of the structure that keeps the weight down and gives the DR400 one of the best payloads in the business.

buzzc152
8th Dec 2006, 10:23
I saw a King Air driving up the M1 the other day (minus the wings).

tangovictor
8th Dec 2006, 11:34
As others have said, all aircraft can usually have their wings removed. I've not yet come across on that can't but if one existed I suppose it could be stood on its nose on a low loader .... Just watch out for low bridges :E
SS

Its strange you should mention this, I went to the NEC with a non flying mate, last weekend, and it was he, who mentioned how some of the a/c
got to and from the NEC show, the wing removal was the obvious answer
however I wondered about other a/c who's wings seemed more permenant
riveted etc.
My mate then said, why not drain the fluids, remove the prop, and stand it
nose up !, after laughing for a while, I wondered ???

smarthawke
8th Dec 2006, 12:29
The original SR20 Cirrus wing was bonded on to the fuselage so if it landed in a field (by normal means or beneath its parachute) it would be a game to recover. Having said that, if the BRS system had been used, the chances are it was pretty much written off when it came back to earth...

Most light aircraft are 25 ft plus long so standing it on the nose is going to play havoc with the bridges!

Cessna singles are a lot easier to move by road than Pipers which fall over when you take the wings off because of where the undercarriage attaches. That said the track on a 172 is around 8 ft which is more than your average flat bed. Tailplanes are 10 ft plus and to take the tailplane off you have to take the fin and rudder off etc etc.

There'll be alot of happy engineers now that Fly! London is Fly! Silverstone. An advantage of AeroExpo at Booker last year. Aircraft fly in, sit on a stand and fly out (even the diesel powered ones, although they weren't great at following the noise abatement turns on 06....).

bingoboy
8th Dec 2006, 17:56
I have seen a photograph of Piper Cubs stored on their noses in the factory. Saved a lot of groundspace. (also have seen/used this method to clean underneath one - but would not think it ideal for travel unless well secured in some form of cradle)