PDA

View Full Version : 12 Year Old Proto-Pilot

Son of the Bottle
7th Dec 2006, 23:39
A colleague asked me today what would be the best way to get his son into flying. The lad in question is interested in become a paid pilot, civil or military, I don't know.

I suggested he get his son into one of the local gliding clubs, with a view to getting a scholarship later on, and mentioned that this was probably the cheapest way to start.

Is there any more advice ppruners would give?

Airbus38
8th Dec 2006, 00:50
Hi there,

13 is the minimum age to join the Air Cadets, generally there's a local squadron in each town. I'd definitely suggest that. He'll in all probability get at least a couple of flights a year to start with, more if he plays his cards right, with good quality (freebie!) flying/gliding scholarships becoming a possibility once he's 16.

It may also give him a little bit of a taster of the military side of things, with at least one, maybe two weeks per year spent at 'camp' on an RAF base. Might just help him decide which route he wants to take later on.

Couldn't recommend it highly enough. Hope this helps,
A38

PS - I'm only making the assumption that you're UK-based!

HR200
8th Dec 2006, 21:51
Please shout at me if u wish. I just have recently gained my PPL at 17 with a view to being a commercial pilot, getting into aviation was thanks to my mum just buying me a trial lesson, loved it soo much I knew thats what I was going to do.

However, at 12, do u REALLY SERIOUSLY know that thats what you want to do. When I was 12, I wanted to be all sorts, but now im older, that changed.

So, id be careful introducing aviation at young age as it may blind his choice of careers.

Apologies if this seems two-faced or unfair.

Whirlybird
9th Dec 2006, 07:00
Some 12 year olds DO know what they want to do. I certainly didn't, but that doesn't mean no-one does.

In any event, joining the air cadets is a great idea. Apart from giving him some flying, it'll give him an idea about life in the forces, teach him about discipline, and he'll learn a whole lot of useful stuff. And from what I gather from younger friends, it's tremendous fun. I even know of a romance that started in the ATC...and I hope a certain prooner won't mind my mentioning it (don't worry, no names, mate ;) )

But if as a result he decides to do something else, no harm done.

If I was a 12 year old aviation addict (I wish!) that's what I'd do.

HS125
9th Dec 2006, 10:28
However, at 12, do u REALLY SERIOUSLY know that thats what you want to do.

I did, but im not going to shout at you; most of my peers thought I was a freak! I thought more fool them, and now so do they!

I kknew I wanted to be a pilot before this but My Dad brought me a trial lesson when we were mon holiday when I was 12. I was an addict from that moment on and used to take lessons about once a week in the holidays.

This enabled me to solo on my 17th Birthday (the legal minimum at the time) and the prior knowledge I had accumulated proved useful when I did my Commercial licences when I left School.

Feel free to PM me or whatever for any further advice on the rout I took.

WilliamOK
9th Dec 2006, 10:40
I knew I was going to be a pilot when I was 8.... I'm now sixteen and it has never changed, I'm working on my ppl now....

Airbus38
10th Dec 2006, 21:23
...So, id be careful introducing aviation at young age as it may blind his choice of careers.

So you, at 17, have not gone through the same 'blinding' process? Never knock somebody's ambition, it's fantastic that someone has any ambition at all while they're young. Just imagine somebody saying to YOU that you're too young to want to fly, and you should do your A-Levels first and go nowhere near an aircraft.

Fair play to the lad, I hope he becomes the next big thing. Saves him going through that process of getting his degree in American Studies or similar so that he can head off to work in a call centre for the rest of his life, big time in debt having spent all his money on girls/cars/beer without realising he could be saving for something else.

HR200, I applaud you getting a license and having ambition, and so I think it would be fair to let this lad have his chance.

A38

Genghis the Engineer
10th Dec 2006, 22:45
As above + air scouts & aeromodelling.

G

spitfire
10th Dec 2006, 22:53
In addition to the good ideas already mentioned, you could also sign up for the Aeroscholars online education course www.aeroscholars.org - which is designed to help a young person with their science, maths and technology education, while simultaneously building their knowledge of aviation. It will get you roughly to the point of being ready to take the PPL written exams. Although the course is based in the USA there are Aeroscholars taking the course throughout the English-speaking world.

Son of the Bottle
12th Dec 2006, 16:56
Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I'll pass them on.

Wholigan
12th Dec 2006, 17:20
I can't recommend the Air Training Corps enough. It's a terrific organization and the lad will get an enormous amount out of it, provided he is prepared to put something in. The amount of flying he would get in the ATC very much depends on the squadron he joins and how keen they are to "push the limits". Officially, each cadet is meant to get one air experience flight per year. However, in practice, there are many units who do not bother to try to attend and several cadets on each unit who are not that interested in flying. What then happens is the keen squadrons, and the keen cadets in those squadrons, get the lion's share of whatever flying is available. I have many cadets who seem to get between 5 and 10 flights per year. I have no problem with flying them as they are keen and deserve the extra flights that others don't seem to want. You do have to be 13 ¼ to fly air experience though.

As has been said, there is also gliding available. Furthermore, you can do adventure training, go on camps at RAF stations, sport of all sorts, the Duke of Edinburgh Award, canoeing/sailing etc and even join a band and learn to play an instrument.

If you are good and keen and your squadron pushes the wing HQ, there is a lot more flying available in the form of the Air Cadet Pilot Navigation Scheme, full flying scholarships and the Air Cadet Air Experience Scheme (sadly I’m getting old and can’t remember if that is the correct title and the web site won't load tonight for some reason) that gives about 10 ½ hours of flying in one course.

Incidentally, I knew at the age of 7 that I wanted to fly Hunters in the RAF and nothing else would do. Luckily it worked.

AlphaMale
12th Dec 2006, 17:44
However, at 12, do u REALLY SERIOUSLY know that thats what you want to do.

Wanted to be a pilot ever since I was 6 years old on a flight to Miami :} ... I studied Maths and Physics as I thought it would help with my flying and decided to take IT as a backup as I was good at it. I then studied Multimedia Tech in Uni after hearing I'd be no better off with a 'Aviation' degree when applying to airlines :rolleyes:

So here I am nearly 20 years older with a load of qualifications, flying experience and a job that will pay enough for me to do my training aswell as serving as a back up plan should anything like 9/11 happen again or I lose my job.

I agree with everybody else - join the ATC and get some flying experience under his belt :ok:

airborne_artist
12th Dec 2006, 17:46
I have two daughters just off out for the night to their ATC squadron. The elder one has had plenty of flying (the younger one only joined v recently) in the Grob, as well as a short gliding course, and through the ATC she spent a week of her work experience at RAF Benson.

I can't recommend it highly enough. A very nice bunch of lads/lasses who know how to behave, look smart, and love challenges.

bingoboy
12th Dec 2006, 18:13
Totally agree with the ATC, my daughter is in it, but as with any organisation you have to put something in, be interested and drive yourself.

I've seen too many who just turn up and expect everything to happen for them :( and also lots who've gained many hours, many experiences and good friendships.:ok:

wbryce
24th Dec 2006, 12:26
Like a few others have mentioned, Ive wanted to be a pilot from my first memories, started with XMas and aviation related presents...I unofficially joined the ATC at the age of 12, left when I was 18 and im 3 yrs into modular fATPL training still with the same goal.

I would recommend the ATC route and maybe get 1 lesson a month towards his PPL. Providing he completes his home work of course! :)

Speed Twelve
24th Dec 2006, 18:17
Another recommendation here for the Air Cadets. I probably wouldn't be flying for a living today if I hadn't gone the ATC route. I too wanted to be a pilot from a very young age and focussed on it. It's a very good environment, particularly if planning to go for a military flying career.

If the lad joins, once he has a little age and experience under his belt in the ATC there are loads of opportunities available if he pushes for them. I ended up a gliding school staff cadet, flying every weekend, and was lucky enough to complete both the pilot navigation and flying scholarship courses, not to mention a free 2 week trip to the USA on exchange. It's all there if he wants it badly enough!

Without sounding like an old git it is also 'character building'. Adventure training, shooting, drill, all of these promote self-confidence, and the camaraderie on a good ATC Sqn can be great.

If I had my time again I wouldn't have done it any differently.

Halfbaked_Boy
25th Dec 2006, 00:17
big time in debt having spent all his money on girls/cars/beer without realising he could be saving for something else.

Haha, you have just summarised the last 12 months of my life! But I have also managed to save a large amount of money on top of that to be able to apply to and fund myself through an excellent flight training programme.

Everybody needs to have fun as well,

Cheers, Jack.

squirrel350
25th Dec 2006, 07:43
Totally agree with what everyone else has said I did ATC and Army Cadets both extremely worthwhile I was very young when I realised I wanted to fly Helicopters it starter when we always had RNZAF Iroquois land at our school since one of the ex-pupils was the pilot so we had frequent visits and rally time brought helicopter city.

We had the local Air Ambulance land o n our orchard one night when there was a motor vehicle accident about 100m from our house that was it for me I was hooked and I now do part-time voluntary work with the same machine but I lost interest for awhile and it wasnt till I got my first free trial-flight that I realised it really was what I wanted to do as my chosen career.

So ATC or even Army Corps are great worthwhile orgs to be with not only flying but survival skills are taught.

Good Luck

SQ350

flyboyike
25th Dec 2006, 23:01
However, at 12, do u REALLY SERIOUSLY know that thats what you want to do. When I was 12, I wanted to be all sorts, but now im older, that changed.

I've wanted to fly since I was 3. Now that I'm older, it doesn't look like anything's changed.