PDA

View Full Version : Bell 206 L3 Longranger - Why so few?

Fokkerwokker
7th Dec 2006, 17:00
Any idea why there are so few in the UK?

146 x 206s on the UK register but AFAIK only 4 x L3s.

Is there a gotcha?

Head Turner
8th Dec 2006, 09:47
Old technology and passengers prefer Squirrels as the ambiance level is higher. Agusta are in danger of getting left behind unless they upgrade the 109 to more modern mechanics, avionics and cockpit comforts

long box
9th Dec 2006, 08:03
There are actually 18 Long Rangers on the register, and I think you will find that that number is growing, passangers do not prefer the 350 or the 355 as the cabin of the Long Ranger has a corprate enviroment that is segrigated from the pilot with layout similar to larger VIP helicopters. The ride is far superiour to the 355. It is such a popular type that Bell has re-opened the production line due to popular demand.

Aesir
9th Dec 2006, 10:38
Old technology and passengers prefer Squirrels as the ambiance level is higher

In which Eurocopter sales brochure did you read that :hmm:

Seriously as both a passenger and pilot of both types I would rate the LongRanger higher in ride quality and with less interior noice. The 2 bladed rotor system when well balanced is far smoother than the high frequency vibration in the AS350 for example.

As far as the operator goes I think the parts support is much better for the Bell.

However the last 350 model I flew was the B3 and it is very user friendly and powerful for the pilot, however I would guess that the Bell417 is probably comparable.

Fokkerwokker
9th Dec 2006, 17:21
long box.

Thanks for that info about the number of Longrangers - think I have some research to do! I'll recount early next week when I have time..

The comments about the Longranger are appreciated.

Ta

MSP Aviation
9th Dec 2006, 20:18
there may be 18 longrangers, but i would assume that most are L-4s? i think he was asking specifically about L-3s

VeeAny
9th Dec 2006, 20:28
There seem to be 20 206Ls (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=60&pagetype=65&applicationid=1&mode=summary&aircrafttype=206l) of all variants at the moment, with 4 L3s (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=60&pagetype=65&applicationid=1&mode=summary&aircrafttype=206l-3), only 1 L4 (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=60&pagetype=65&applicationid=1&mode=summary&aircrafttype=206l-4) i am afraid, according to G-INFO anyway.

I've only flown L1s and L3s , the L3 is a fantastic machine for its class Vne straight and level at less than MCP even when heavy (in the uk climate at least).

V.

B Sousa
12th Dec 2006, 14:16
Dont forget the L1/C30P is the same as the L3 for the most part.

valve guide
12th Dec 2006, 21:33
Great to fly, good layout but yet to be in one that doesn't stink of Jet Fuel, come on lets be honest.....they stink! Perhaps there should be a new aftershave launched at Christmas where they simply bottle the Jet A1 and then we can tell the passengers its the captain's aftershave they smell.:yuk:

paco
13th Dec 2006, 01:45
You would have enjoyed the Alton Towers and the JCB Longrangers, then, as they didn't stink at all. Neither does the L3 we have in Dubai, or the ones I flew for several years in Canada. I certainly don't remember that, except when I spilled it myself!

In fact, it doesn't matter what I fly, my wife still thinks I use JET A1 as an aftershave.

A well setup L is a pleasure to fly, but it has limitations, of course. The main gotcha is the MAUW at 4050 lbs, or 4150 if you have the proper yoke installed. I think its best use is for corporate work where you have only 1-3 passengers to move about. The Alton Towers one had a full IFR fit, and with full fuel, you could only take two passengers. However, it can be a cost-effective (VFR) alternative to a basic 109 whose passenger compartment is not that much bigger anyway.

I have found that the main reason people prefer Squirrels is because of the lack of partitioning between the passenger and crew compartments, and they can see what the pilot is doing. You can also get an eight-foot pole in there (don't ask!). The shorter rundown time was also a factor, but ride quality wasn't one.

Phil

bullshitproof
13th Dec 2006, 11:48
Sounds to me like Long box is a long ranger owner ! !

Xavier Dosh
13th Dec 2006, 12:46
Hello Fokkerwokker,

Long Box is right - the CAA website is showing 20 G-Registered 206L's..

Why so few L-3's tho? To be honest, I don't know... I would be interested to know how many have been produced in relation to the earlier types.

I have worked with and flown in L1's and L3's. The Longranger is ok, but it is a dated aircraft now.

I'm not enitirely sure that Long Box has got it quite right by saying passengers prefer the Longranger....

I would suggest that given the 71 AS355s and 43 AS350s it is perhaps a little optimistic to suggest that the 206L is a more popular machine.

The Longranger still has it's place in the market, without a doubt. However, given the current level of demand for Single Engine Day VFR helicopters for charter in the UK, I think it is unlikely that we will see a significant increase in 206Ls arriving in the UK in the near future.

A Longranger fan? In Kent? You don't work for Helicharter do you Long Box?

XD

MBJ
13th Dec 2006, 14:48
The L3's were a bit more expensive than a comparable L-1 and you don't really need the extra power of the L3 in the UK so the L-1 made the logical step up from a Jetbox and were not hugely more expensive to run.

In the mountains though, the L3 was a way better machine. I've landed at 14,500ft in one in Ethiopia and even dared shut down. Doubt you'd even make it that high in a C28 L-1.

I loved the ride of the Longranger series and many corporate passengers prefered having their own cabin to themselves - A kind of poor man's 109?

One potential owner likened the rear of the Squirrel to sitting on the parcel shelf of a car! Cruel, perhaps, but each to their own.

As a driver, the Squirrel seat is 100% more comfortable and the Longranger fuel system still sucks (air, sometimes!)

plus expenses
13th Dec 2006, 19:20
As a rule of thump: Two blades normally mean a 1R bump in the seat of your pants all day and multi blades don't.

However, Long ranger has a the airframe suspended from sprag mount so very very smooth ride. Certainly the smoothest light turbine. (So smooth in fact that newly converted find it easy to pass Vne as no vibration in the airframe, especially if all alone and more than 70%).

All that said, squirrel seats are much more comfortable for the driver.

Take your pick both are great aircraft.