PDA

View Full Version : Getting Aus Special Pilot Licence

hooligan88b
7th Dec 2006, 09:46
Does anyone have any experience with getting hold of one of these based on a UK Licence?
I'm planning a trip down under in Feb and would like to rent while out there - but I'm having trouble understanding the requirements stated on the CASA web page http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/overbr.htm#special which specifies that to rent a complex requires log book evidence - fair enough - but then says "Certification of documents can only be made by a Notary Public or a CASA DAME in your home country" - but doesn't specify what's required to certificated - I'm assuming some sort of cover note from an NP or DAME.

Has anyone has been through this process succesfully?

FlugWeasel
7th Dec 2006, 10:21
A friend of mine went through this some time ago. I *believe* that this is the situation - but I do not claim to have any official or expert knowledge.

You need to submit copies of:
1. licence
2. medical
3. logbook

All three need to be certified as true copies and submitted to CASA.

The Australian legal requirement is that these documents need to be cited by an individual with the same requirements to certify a Statutory Declaration:
http://www.ag.gov.au/statdec has links to details.

You can try a DAME, Notary or an Embassy official - or anyone on the list. Some are easier to find outside of Australia.

Also, dont forget the security requirements and the associated forms ....

hooligan88b
7th Dec 2006, 10:41
That's brilliant, thanks for the info. I've got copies of the other forms and UK CAA form 1160. I think going to an NP probably the easiest/quickest.

helicopter-redeye
7th Dec 2006, 11:07
I did this a while ago, turned up at HQ CASA in Mascot (Sydney airport) with license, log book and about $100AUD (and a smile, remember they are a CAA..).

More recently VETFLYER from these pages has been there so could give more in depth commentary on how big the smile (or dollars pile) need to be...

h-r;)

NB, hint, sort out the place you are hiring from from the UK before going so they can help with the process and advise on any local procedures. Enjoy.

Cessna Boy
8th Dec 2006, 04:35
Hi
When I emigrated out here in 2003 I went and got a special licence to fly on. As previous posts say, rock on up to any CASA office with medical, log book and UK licence. You will also be provided with an ARN number. CASA will also give you a form (if memory serves me correct) for you to take away, fill out and sent to CAA in UK, allowing them to release any info they have on you (basically verifying your licence is legit). They will not issue the special licence until the CAA have given them this info, which in my case was within a week.
Also not entirely sure about ASIC situations for overseas pilots, but as far as I am aware "every" person needing airside access at airfields with RPT traffic must have a current ASIC card. Now given that some people have been waiting months for these to be proccessed, you may find yourself flying into a lot of small uncontrolled aerodromes until you get your card.
Still saying all that, it great place to fly with some fantastic scenery! And cheap. Currently flying a new 172 for cheaper than what I rented a 30 year old 150 for in the UK!
One last tip also, practice your navigation skills, cause its pretty barren as soon as you head inland!
Good luck with it all!

FlugWeasel
8th Dec 2006, 08:17
Hi
When I emigrated out here in 2003 I went and got a special licence to fly on.

Also not entirely sure about ASIC situations for overseas pilots, but as far as I am aware "every" person needing airside access at airfields with RPT traffic must have a current ASIC card. Now given that some people have been waiting months for these to be proccessed, you may find yourself flying into a lot of small uncontrolled aerodromes until you get your card.

Things got a lot more stringent down here in 2005. Lead times imposed by security checks and new forms of ID are significantly longer.

The security check requirements are covered by form 639. I would recommend submitting the paperwork to CASA as soon as possible. Your application will be security cleared and a Photo ID (either AVID or ASIC) will be required.

Details on ASIC requirements are at:

http://www.dotars.gov.au/transport/security/aviation/factsheet/fact13.aspx

If you dont need an ASIC card, you will still need to submit the forms for security checks and the issue of an AVID, the CASA photo ID.

On the 639 form you can also apply for an ASIC which has a more stringent security check and effectively supercedes the AVID as a photo ID.

As Cessna Boy points out, the ASIC can take a long time to be issued by CASA. Something that isnt made clear is CASA is not the only authority that can issue ASICs. One alternative is http://www.aviationidaustralia.net.au/ That may be an alternative and may be issued more quickly.

Also, be aware that CASA shuts down over the Xmas break (22 Dec to 2 Jan).

Hope that helps shed a little more light. I would hate to see you miss out on flying in Feb for the sake of the paperwork! PM me if you need further help.

hooligan88b
8th Dec 2006, 12:14
Thanks for all the info - most of it's on the CASA web site, where it also mentions the time delay in getting an AVID, so I'm going to get those forms in ASAP. I'm planning to avoid any airports that require an ASIC anyway :}