PDA

View Full Version : What to Do..

eghi r20
7th Dec 2006, 08:16
:ugh: What to Do..

I got my PPL, IMC in 1998 and loved it. I signed up to go modular starting in Florida in Nov 2000 aged 27. Then ground school Jan 01 to July 01. I then went on to the CPL and then came Sept 11th. The job market crashed to the floor. So faced with doing an IR with no prospects I did an FI rating and got a job three days a week as an FI and went back to my old job another three days to pay the bills. Soon afterwards I found out I was going to be a dad so set up home etc. It was not till 2003 I felt more confident about the job market so did the IR and then the MCC, but I had to cut back the instructing to one day a week. I have had about one interview a year thus far, but on the first two I was unsuccessful. The third one I passed the interview and the sim ride, I have been in the hold pool for a year and three month so far. I am now 33 with about 1000hrs and got a voicemail request for an interview this week with a jet company. When I phoned back and had a quick chat they said that my one day a week instructing may mean that I am not that current and could not take the risk. So yet another opportunity sails past. IR’s and medicals come round quicker each year or so it would seem.

When do you say enough is enough and forget it ??

Gnirren
7th Dec 2006, 09:24
I would say it's time to make up your mind once and for all. Either go all out and consider some sort of self-sponsorship or a rating or call it quits and focus on the career you already have.

Gillespie
7th Dec 2006, 10:14
I feel for you. It seems you've gone through some tough times in your aviation career to date. You've come so far, my advice would be to not give up. Not yet. Keep going, leave no stone unturned. Get out there and sell yourself, sending seculative CVs won't do it. Make contacts, anything just to get that foot in the door. I'm aware that I'm preaching to the choir, but all I'm saying is don't give up.

jamestkirk
7th Dec 2006, 15:47
You've got it.

PREACHING

I am going to join the priesthood. Its a stable job, only work on sunday, get a roof over your head and people look up to you. And, you get to give advice on god, marraige, sex and the world in general. Although, I normally give that advice after a couple of bottles of Shiraz, seeing that after that much alcohol I AM an expert.

Or start a religion like that Hubbard- Scientology guy. Have people think your from another planet. Thetan's I think it is. Make millions and have loads of hollywood A listers think you are a living legend. Although, again agfetr the Shiraz, I convince myself of that too.

Let's face it. I have more chance of achieving the above that getting a RHS job.

Or I will just grow some tits, I will at least get an interview.

I feel better now, thanks everyone for listening.

God bless

JTK

mattd2k
7th Dec 2006, 17:00
Another slow day today JTK ? :ugh: Glad I had nothing booked in actually! :p

EGHI, my advice would be to quit your job and instruct full time for as long as you can. It will be tough but the rewards are there at the end. I have been instructing full time for nearly 18 months now and things are starting to move along nicely. To be honset when it comes to applying for jobs I have been really slack in the last 3 - 4 months as well, but still have had a couple of calls recently. GO FOR IT! :ok:

Oh, and don't worry about JTK, the weather has been crap here all day so he is probably just in a grouchy mood. He is certainly not someone I would ask for advice religion, marriage or sex as a) he ain't religious, b) he isn't married, and c) he hasn't had any since I've known him. :uhoh:

However, if you want to know anything about meteorology then he's your man. Apparently he is at One with nature. :}

It's a tough decision, Good Luck.

eghi r20
14th Dec 2006, 11:17
Hi All

Thanks for your thoughts. It’s a tuff one.

I am currently taking odd days holiday etc to cold call at airports where mates are already flying etc, hand delivering cv’s and keeping in touch with all the peeps I know in the game looking for a way in.

I never expected to walk into any flying job and felt lucky to get a job working as a FI. However after treading the boards for a few years to get a few hours, it looks like I am no further forward.

Perhaps I am disadvantaged as I have a family with children settled in school and a mortgage etc. Instructing full time would mean working all weekend as a taxi driver to pay the bills etc. To fund a ‘type’ would mean selling the house, so not that a great an idea.

I am hoping that just keeping it on the back burner may come good in the end. I am trying to avoid taking a backwards step for my family life etc, only to find I ‘STILL’ have no job at the end of it but another debt to honour.

Having been working 6 day weeks for the last 3 years or more, i am dreaming about a weekend off.

With no restraint……. you could end up taking a risk, on a risk, on a risk chasing that dream job.
:ugh: :confused: