PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Jobs

speaker
6th Dec 2006, 12:01
Guys/Galls just wondering does anyone have any advice, sorry if im asking old questions...I know nobody in the industry so not sure where to turn.

Im bored out of my mind with my job, looking for something new in sales/business/IT but cant get my mind off aviation. Ive loved planes and everything to do with them sicne I was a boy but because of night blindness and crap eyesight I'll never be in the pilots seat.

Im just wondering of what other aviation careers people have heard of apart from pilots, cabin staff and mechanics, none of which i could do. How do you get into despatching or airline management? Is there anyone who works in a good job at any airport that has any advice how to get in there? Are there other careers that involve working for airlines or airplane manufacturers I cant think of? Where do I start and what courses could I do....I keep an eye on Ryanair, Aer Lingus and Aer Arran's job sites but never see anything coming up, is there a better way to look?

Before I settle on a new job I just wnated to see what the options were, problem is its very hard find someone to ask! I live in a crap small town in Ireland so havnt been able to find anyone in the industry to chat to....thanks if anyone can help!

Leiden81
6th Dec 2006, 12:28
Speaker

If you don't mind relocating, central Europe (Germany or Switzerland) is an option I have recently seen advertised, Operations for various aircraft operators, but not airlines. Airlines tend to be closed shops, with job specific oportunities. If you don't mind cutting your teeth in the corporate or charter world, it can be a useful training ground as you would learn all aspects of operating an aircraft, not just crewing or flight planning, as in an airline.
Anyway, I know a start up company called Jetair in Zweibrucken which is looking for new people, assistant level upwards. I was in touch, seemed nice people but would prefer a German speaker, maybe worth a look. Their tel is +4963325686810. Another company I saw was TAG in Geneve - again wanted French but again may accept English only.

Anyway, I'd say if a late starter in aviation, as close to the operation as you can get, the private charter companies are worth a look. Some well known website are out there to help find jobs.

cheers and good luck.

ManfredvonRichthofen
6th Dec 2006, 12:33
If you are Ireland based, which your profile suggests you are, why not look at leasing companies, aviation finance businesses, banks dealing with aviation capital etc which are located in Dublin (some major players there eg RBS Aerospace)

speaker
6th Dec 2006, 13:15
Thats a good idea allright, I havnt been able to find any aviation recruitment agencies over here but I might see can I find a few of those companies and apply direct.

Relocation would be no problem, the irish midlands dont offer any possabilities for aviation :)

ManfredvonRichthofen
6th Dec 2006, 14:42
i can't give you details of the kind of places i mentioned off the top of my head but dublin is actually a world centre for this kind of thing (tax, legal reasons)

you could try getting yourself a temp password to the Airfinance Journal (google it) and seeing if you can get details of any places from there

good luck