PDA

View Full Version : JAR PPL (H) to FAA (H)

PENNINE BOY
6th Dec 2006, 07:20
Can I get my JAR PPL H converted to FAA PPL H in the UK? or does it require a visit to the USA?
Is there a FAA instructor in the UK that can do a 206 type rating ?

Cheers
P.B. :ok:

md 600 driver
6th Dec 2006, 07:53
you will need to do the ground exams ,complete a minium 3 hrs with a faa instructor maybe more if you dont have a night rating ,and a check ride with a faa examiner , and some 9/11 security items all can be done in the uk
i know a few people that have done it one on a J/R

there is a examiner at coventry and a faa cfi in yorkshire pm if you want more details send a pm i dont want to advertise

HillerBee
6th Dec 2006, 08:13
The FAA doesn't have a type rating for the 206. You can fly most helicopters without.

Type ratings are only for the larger helicopters like S76, S61.

thecontroller
6th Dec 2006, 17:42
i think the FAA only validate it for 6 months, or a year

tomotomp
6th Dec 2006, 17:48
It is valid as long as your main licence is valid(med etc)

tomotomp
6th Dec 2006, 18:01
ah do you now have the plastic card, you are correct that the bit of paper only lasts 6 months, until the card arrives.:ok:

Lightning_Boy
6th Dec 2006, 19:09
Paper certificate is only valid for 120 days, not sure if the plastic licence makes a difference, I know people who went to the USA training and already held a JAA PPL(H). They were issued a temp cert and even after passing an IR checkride, the licence was still only valid for 6/12 months. From what I can remember they had to either sit the PPL or CPL checkride within that time or get the temp FAA licence revalidated. Dont know if theres a limit on the amount of times it can be revalidated but I'm sure if its a permanent FAA licence you want, you need to sit the checkride. Temp licence are exactly what they say, Temporary.

LB :ok:

Gordy
6th Dec 2006, 19:57
It is valid as long as your main licence is valid(med etc)
You are correct---The license is valid indefinitely as long as you maintain the license on which it is based.
FAR 61.75 (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=72e9f8acec05ba7829233e98ce2c577d&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.2.1.10&idno=14)
The temporary piece of paper is valid for 120 days until you receive the plastic copy.

Gordy
6th Dec 2006, 20:02
Paper certificate is only valid for 120 days, not sure if the plastic licence makes a difference, I know people who went to the USA training and already held a JAA PPL(H). They were issued a temp cert and even after passing an IR checkride, the licence was still only valid for 6/12 months. From what I can remember they had to either sit the PPL or CPL checkride within that time or get the temp FAA licence re validated. Dont know if theres a limit on the amount of times it can be re validated but I'm sure if its a permanent FAA licence you want, you need to sit the checkride. Temp licence are exactly what they say, Temporary.
This is where it can get real tricky---adding a "US test passed instrument rating" to a "private license based upon a foreign license". I would never recommend anyone to do this. In this situation, what you need to do to avoid complications is this: Obtain a US private based upon foreign license. This allows you to act as PIC of a US aircraft in order to train for example. Then start training for the IR but also in this time take the private written test and checkride. Then you can do the IR and have it placed on an "unrestricted" US private license. Complicated I know, but it saves so many problems later.

Gordy
6th Dec 2006, 20:05
thats what the FAR says, but... when i did it, i had to revalidate after 6 months. i am POSITIVE you get a letter [from the FAA Oklahoma] AS WELL AS the plastic licence saying that the validation is only valid for 6 months.
i had to revalidate because 6 months had passed between my original validation and my FAA CPL checkride.
I beleive you are talking about the validation letter that validates your foreign license. Yes this letter does expire after 6 months but NOT the license.

Gordy
6th Dec 2006, 20:08
it was easy to get an IR added to a 'validated' FAA PPL.
once i sat the FAA CPL checkride i recieved a standard FAA CPL/IR licence

Which FSDO?---they all have their own interpretations as I'm sure you know.

thecontroller
6th Dec 2006, 20:10
orlando FSDO

Gordy
6th Dec 2006, 20:12
orlando FSDO
Then you have the different inspectors who read it differently....
RS or SW? It is my understanding that once you have the FAA license, it never expires whether it is US test passed or based upon a foreign. As I said, different FSDO's and inspectors are free to interpret the rules as they see fit. The validation letter was something that came about after 9/11, by which time I was long out of the flight instruction scene and not fully converse with the intricacies of the regulations. My brief one year stint back in that field is obviously not enough to answer every question. I did just place a call to Sam--an authority in the field, but she is out of town for a week, so I guess we will know next week.

Lightning_Boy
6th Dec 2006, 20:25
I beleive you are talking about the validation letter that validates your foreign license. Yes this letter does expire after 6 months but NOT the license.

So the foreign licence we are talking about would be the FAA one. So even if the licence (certificate) does not expire, you cannot use it after 6 months as the validation letter has expired? This letter would need to be revalidated to enable you to fly, so from what I can make of that is, your flying rights are only valid for 6 months??

Gordy
6th Dec 2006, 20:35
So the foreign licence we are talking about would be the FAA one. So even if the licence (certificate) does not expire, you cannot use it after 6 months as the validation letter has expired? This letter would need to be revalidated to enable you to fly, so from what I can make of that is, your flying rights are only valid for 6 months??

OK, this is getting confusing----The regulation I posted was FAR 61.75, for obtaining a US license based upon a "Foreign" license, i.e. the CAA is the foreign license. In order to get the FAA license, you are required to have a letter which validates your CAA license---this letter is the one that is valid for 6 months. If you take the letter, BEFORE it expires, to an FAA office along with your CAA license and a form 8710 (FAA airman application form), they will issue you with an FAA private license valid as long as you maintain the CAA license. If your CAA license expires---so does your FAA license. As i stated in my previous post---this could be subject to change---we will find out Monday.

Lightning_Boy
6th Dec 2006, 20:59
OK Gordy, I'm not as 100% certain as you sound so I'll take your word on that one, however, I do remember having this discussion with you in your office once about a student of mine (ours) but the outcome wasn't in his favour. As you said though, it could depend on the FSDO.

Thank god the JAA system is so much more simple :ugh:

Gordy
6th Dec 2006, 21:10
OK Gordy, I'm not as 100% certain as you sound so I'll take your word on that one, however, I do remember having this discussion with you in your office once about a student of mine (ours) but the outcome wasn't in his favour. As you said though, it could depend on the FSDO.
Thank god the JAA system is so much more simple :ugh:

I hear you---I think there are so many variables here, and on top of all that--these rules are all still relatively new. Would be nice if someone would write some instructions to be followed by all FSDO's---I will see if I can find something.

perfrej
6th Dec 2006, 21:12
I can vouch for the near infinite validity. I validated a Swedish PPL(H) in 1999, got a paper certificate (I guess they have plastic ones nowadays) and it's indefinate. I searched the FAA and got :

CertIficates
1 of 1
DOI :04/12/1999CertIficate:PRIVATE PILOT (FOREIGN BASED)
Rating(s): PRIVATE PILOT (Foreign Based)
ROTORCRAFT-HELICOPTER

Limits

ISSUED ON BASIS OF AND VALID ONLY WHEN ACCOMPANIED BY SWEDEN PILOT LICENSE NUMBER(S) AH4654564564564. ALL LIMITATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS ON THE SWEDEN PILOT LICENSE APPLY.

rudestuff
7th Dec 2006, 22:58
Did I hear someone say the JAA system is simple?!!

Take your licence and validation letter to the FAA, and you'll recieve a foreign based private pilots certificate - valid as long as your JAA one is.

An FAA certificate is valid for life - you simply need to have a flight review within the preceeding 24 months to be legal - and you can fly anything below 12,500lbs - no type ratings. No fees to take an FAA checkride. No fees to get a license. No fees to land away (or phonecalls to make!). No 500ft rule. About as simple as it gets.
Do people still go to the US to get a JAA PPL? - Yes
Why? No idea...

md 600 driver
8th Dec 2006, 06:44
Rudestuff
as your post refers to validated licences
**and you can fly anything below 12,500lbs** it is not entirely correct
a faa licence based on a uk licence only alows the holder to exercise the privilages of their uk licence [only the types that the person has passed a test and is also current on] and you have to obey the rules of the country you are flying in ie in the uk you have the 500 ft rules

it is however correct if you have a full faa ppl for a single engine but i think you need something for a twin dont you