PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan To The Sky Project

blodwyn
5th Dec 2006, 16:51
After a flurry of last minute funding activity and PR, it all seems to have gone quiet !

Have they got what they want and now cant be bothered to keep us all informed on progress ?

What is the latest and why the lack of further information flow ?

BEagle
5th Dec 2006, 17:34
If you go to http://www.tvoc.co.uk/cgi-local/board/ikonboard.cgi and look at the appropriate message board forum, you will find that work is going well.

I hope that everyone reading this has redeemed their pledge?

And we're ALL looking forward to Tombstone's performance with the rose clenched between his cheeks........ I'm sure that Joanna will be there to film it for posterior posterity!

Tombstone
5th Dec 2006, 17:36
If you go to http://www.tvoc.co.uk/cgi-local/board/ikonboard.cgi and look at the appropriate message board forum, you will find that work is going well.

I hope that everyone reading this has redeemed their pledge?

And we're ALL looking forward to Tombstone's performance with the rose clenched between his cheeks........ I'm sure that Joanna will be there to film it for posterior posterity!

I'll be there.:{

speeddial
30th Dec 2006, 19:19
Have just read that they're looking for more money!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/6219251.stm

Lucy Lastic
30th Dec 2006, 19:36
I made a pledge back along but they said to wait until they asked for the money. So far I haven't heard anything from them.

BEagle
30th Dec 2006, 20:00
You should have been contacted by now.

Someone needs to kick ar$e. There hasn't been much feedback concerning funding since the roll-out; this is hardly a way to win support!

Hot Charlie
30th Dec 2006, 22:54
I made a pledge back along but they said to wait until they asked for the money. So far I haven't heard anything from them.
You should have received a letter back in September or October - I did. You can honour the pledge electronically via the website shop - you just state the money is honouring your pledge.

flipflopman RB199
31st Dec 2006, 14:19
Hi Blodwyn,

Without wishing to set myself up as any kind of 'official spokesman', may I apologise for the lack of updates recently on the websites. This has been mainly due to the fact that a new single website, which covers both the old TVOC and Vulcan To The Sky Club websites, has been in the process of development. This is now all in place and thankfully now gives the staff at Bruntingthorpe control over website content and updates, meaning that we, the engineers can now directly update the site as to the current progress of 558's restoration. This was an aspect that was sadly lacking in both the previous versions of the website.

On an engineering progress front, as BEags says, work is progressing very well, despite some minor setbacks with obtaining components and spares which were previously sent away to the OEM's for refurbishment. Unfortunately, the work going on at the minute is of a very 'non glamorous' nature and really quite repetitive. Although the aircraft looks externally identical, it is worth remembering that under the skin, she is practically brand new, with around 80% of her system pipework (Hyds, Oxy, Pneumatic, Air Con, Fire Ext) having been replaced with brand new parts. Also, there is a vast amount of electrical cabling which has required replacement with many new looms having to be made and fitted.

Since Roll-Out, the aircraft has been returned to the hangar, whereupon the undercarriage, canopy and radome were again removed for access, and work could begin. Mod 2222, the 'beefing up' of the rear spar, is now physically complete and the associated trestling will be removed in the first weeks of Jan. This will then permit us unrestricted access to the engine bays, to prepare for engine fitment. This should happen around the middle of February, once all work has been completed in the actual engine bay itself. The fuel tanks are being fitted as they return to the hangar, with No's 2, 5, and 7: Port and Stb'd, now installed. We are quite literally waiting on FPT to return the remainder, so we can wrap up the fuel system.

Corrosion control has been a fairly large part of our work to date, with a large number of repairs having been necessary to remove it. We are now, happily, on the last phase of this, with the removal of corrosion from the upper wing stringers, in the area of the U/C bays. This has required the de-skinning of parts of the upper wing surface and the replacement of a stringer itself. Hopefully this work should be finally complete around the end of February.

On an Electrical front, Enhanced Wiring Inspections are now complete for both wings. Re-Wiring has also progressed well, with the Port Undercarriage Bay now complete, and the Starboard Undercarriage Bay around 2/3 complete. The AAPP is re-wired and the leckies are in the process of tidying the looms. Cockpit work continues, with the final layout of the instruments now approaching a decision!!

Overall, this has been an incredibly busy time, for what has been of late a very small team of engineers. The workload is set to get even higher in the coming New Year, as the deadlines for the Falklands Parade and the 2007 Display season approaches, however, it is a time that we are all very much looking forward to, as we all have a burning desire to get the aircraft in the air, in time to lead the parade down the Mall on 17th June.

Unfortunately, any queries or issues with Pledges, or admin aspects of the project are well outside my remit as an engineer, however, I am more than happy to try and answer any questions you may have, and keep you all as up to speed as possible. Hopefully this will be made easier by the fact that we are now able to update the website ourselves, http://www.tvoc.co.uk

Flipflopman

Polikarpov
31st Dec 2006, 14:40
I made a pledge back along but they said to wait until they asked for the money. So far I haven't heard anything from them.For straw poll purposes, I'll add that I also hadn't received anything from them until the start of December, when I received a form addressed to me but with someone else's name on it. Duly returned it with my modest pledge and an explanatory note, hopefully the other chap hadn't promised them a million quid or something.

spekesoftly
31st Dec 2006, 15:56
Flipflopman,

Thank you for an excellent and very informative post. Your enthusiasm and dedication shines through every sentence. When you have time, more of the same, please. :ok:

BEagle
31st Dec 2006, 16:26
And it seems that Tombstone will most definitely have that appointment with a rose to look forward to......

flash8
1st Jan 2007, 22:40
>we all have a burning desire to get the aircraft in the air, in time to lead the parade down the Mall on 17th June.

Abso bloody fantastic if you can. Good luck. Donation on its way.

Tim McLelland
2nd Jan 2007, 10:55
Good luck with the work - we're all waiting with fingers firmly crossed!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/Shefftim/Vulcan.jpg

Wader2
3rd Jan 2007, 12:01
Flipflopman, did you get any RAF Engineerstohelp with the rewiring?

flipflopman RB199
3rd Jan 2007, 17:44
Wader2,

Yes, we currently have five SAC (T) Fairies/Leckies helping us out with the rewire and an enormous benefit they have been to the project also. I believe that they will be helping out until March this year, before returning to their previous posts.

A bunch of all round good eggs, even if some of them are rubbish at drinking :E

Flipflopman