PDA

View Full Version : 20th Dec. BHX to Enontekio (Lapland)

robbie d
4th Dec 2006, 11:00
Flying to Enontekio (I think thats how you spell it) for a daytrip to lapland on the 20th December with Canterbury Travel.

Does ANYBODY know what time it departs, who is operating the flight, what time it returns and the aircraft type if possible.

Spoke to the travel agent today and they say it still hasn't been confirmed and the tickets haven't been printed yet!!! :ugh:

ANY info greatly appreciated.

Thanks from your fellow aviation professional,

robbie d

:eek: :eek: :eek:

TCX69
4th Dec 2006, 18:12
I know that MyTravel (at the mo) are the only ones flying from BHX-ENF but the flight departs on a Sunday at 08:00 MYT6073, returns at 22:15. As the 20th Dec is a Wed not sure who is operating that one?

robbie d
5th Dec 2006, 08:20
Thanks TCX69 :ok:

Does anyone else have anymore info?

Two weeks to go and travel agent has no flight times which is a little bit worrying!!

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

TightSlot
5th Dec 2006, 16:44
Can tell you that ENF is the best (IMHO) of the Santa destinations - I'm off (having volunteered) on Saturday out of Luton, and looking forward to it enormously - Christmas doesn't feel like Christmas until I've done a Santa flight!

Enjoy when you get there

Banzai Eagle
5th Dec 2006, 17:27
robbie
simple answer is ask canterbury travel. In my view they are the best firm to santaland and have a great reputation

Doors to Automatic
6th Dec 2006, 13:35
I booked a trip for this Saturday (departing BHX) and only got the tickets last Friday so there is nothing to worry about.

We are flying with Astreus and leaving at 0800, returning at 2130.

The only downer is the weather - it could well be colder at BHX on Satuirday night!!!!

MarcoFF
6th Dec 2006, 19:43
Here is Enontekiö airport internet pages if needed. http://www.finavia.fi/airport_enontekio?

Hmm, im really curios how much you paid for this kind of one day trip?

I lived in Lapland about 16 years, and i would personally recommed that you would stay there at least 3-6 days:ok: I mean distances are pretty long there. This silence and barren nature middle of nowhere, must see guys.

But one day is better than nothing:}

WHBM
7th Dec 2006, 10:04
Just a comment about the Lapland trips. It never fails to amuse me that there are always some less-informed pax who are astounded/disappointed that it is dark there throughout the trip. They go with cameras without flashes, etc.....

Um, it's on the Arctic Circle on midwinters day. What do you expect ?

Doors to Automatic
8th Dec 2006, 13:36
Um, it's on the Arctic Circle on midwinters day. What do you expect ?

I expect it to be -20c not +4c!!!! :ugh:

TightSlot
8th Dec 2006, 15:36
Trust me - you don' want -20C... Nobody does!!! What you want is what you are likely to get: Snow (Lots) snowy/icey crystal trees (Lots) Reindeer with steaming noses (Lots) and so on - in short, what you want is the -20C experience without the temperature. I'm not kidding - at -20C the kids get very very cold (yes they do feel it) and after a while, so will you.

The forecasts I'm looking at are all going around a HI of 0 degrees and a low of -5 degrees with some windchill to add: Sunrise and Sunset both occur simultaneously at what I expect is the notional time of midday
:)

TightSlot
10th Dec 2006, 00:03
Well, I'm back and having a G&T and a Silk Cut in the Garage with the dog. ENF was as advertsised in my last post. Inbound is always a giggle - kids eat and then fall asleep: Adults breathe sigh of relief and require intravenous G&T: Adults fall asleep. Nice people, nice day out.

On departure from LTN we were expecting a go-around and divert to Rovaniemi due lo viz @ EFN but fortunately this cleared just in time for our arrival (but then went out on viz again shorly after). We got blocked in on stand by an FCA 757 who arrived after us but left first as we couldn't clear them safely off stand (30 minute delay and a thousand curses upon them!). EFN is a short runway (2000m approx) and we got a full power take-off to add to the thrill.

After a long duty I'm pooped but happy - pls let us know how yours went when you're back!

WHBM
11th Dec 2006, 08:46
I expect it to be -20c not +4c!!!! :ugh:Reminds me of our flight to St Petersburg (where Mrs WHBMs :) family live) last New Year when the Pulkovo Airlines skipper said, on approach "Ladies and gentlemen, here is the St Petersburg weather, weather is good, temperature minus 25 ......".

Yes it is not cold this year, has been the trend in recent years for the really cold days to start later, and it does affect snow on ground. Wonder if it will affect the popularity of the Santa flights, which to the operators are such a useful fill-in in the weeks before the ski flights start.

scruggs
11th Dec 2006, 13:47
I went to Lapland for 2 nights last December with TCX. It was approx -10oC to -15oC during the day, and that was cold enough for me! It was worth it though - beautiful scenery. And most important of all - I got my RDL (reindeer driving license) certificate! Who wants an ATPL anyway! :}

eP

Doors to Automatic
13th Dec 2006, 13:41
pls let us know how yours went when you're back!

Had a superb day thanks - although it was 20 hours from leaving my house to getting back so a tad tired by the time we got home.

Weather was exactly as forecast - +4c and rain with very low viz. In fact (assuming you went on the same day - Saturday) I'm surprised you had Rovaniemi as your alternate. It was marginal CAT2 and we had to hold for 20 mins to wait for an improvement. The landing was exciting as the deck only appeared at the last second and the plane absolutely slammed in - presumably on purpose to prevent aquaplaning.

The place itself was magical, a really enjoyable day which would have been made better only by slightly colder weather and snow rather than rain. I'm keen to go back but this time for a 3 day break to experience all the outdoor activities more fully and to get some proper arctic weather.

People on the trip and there were all really nice and kids very well behaved. A VERY quiet flight on the way back with all kids asleep and a crystal clear approach to BHX which was, as predicted colder than Rovaniemi!!!

All in all a first rate day, we were looked after very well by both Astreaus and by the hosts in Lapland and I would recommend it to anyone with small kids or to big kids like me!! :)

WHBM
13th Dec 2006, 14:02
It was marginal CAT2 and we had to hold for 20 mins to wait for an improvement.
Standard northern weather half the time. The only Cat 3 I have ever knowingly been on was into Helsinki last December, had a window seat and Finnair A321s have their forward-facing TV on the cabin screens but saw absolutely nothing before touchdown. Then on with a Golden Air Saab 340 to upcountry Lappeenranta where it was nearly the same - and I don't think the Saabs are Cat 3.

The other half of the time in winter it's crystal clear.