PDA

View Full Version : Paying Respects

Akrotiri bad boy
4th Dec 2006, 12:04
Just a quick one here, I'd be grateful for some thoughts on this:

Is it ethically correct to pay respects to fallen airmen of an erstwhile foe?

Thanks in anticipation.

Wader2
4th Dec 2006, 12:14
Yes .

brickhistory
4th Dec 2006, 12:25
Yes .

What he said.

Tigs2
4th Dec 2006, 12:28
Yes. They were just like all of us. They had Mums and Dads and kids, and died for their country, because some politician sent them into harms way.

SASless
4th Dec 2006, 13:29
One of the most memorable events of my life was touring France in the area where so much of the trench warfare took place during WWI. Standing in cemeteries filled with gravestones of all the different armies, whether friend or foe, filled me with emotion. One cannot be a soldier, having experienced combat, and not feel the loss all those graves portray. Each one marks a family's loss felt just as much no matter who they are.

airborne_artist
4th Dec 2006, 13:36
Treat others as you would like you (and yours) to be treated.

NoseGunner
4th Dec 2006, 13:46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wader2
Yes .

What he said.

What he said.

MaxReheat
4th Dec 2006, 15:43
IF you are both an officer and a gentleman I am surprised that the question should ever occur to you.

Pontius Navigator
4th Dec 2006, 16:28
IF you are both an officer and a gentleman I am surprised that the question should ever occur to you.

Read the profile. Was a car mechanic, now a boat mechanic :}

Llademos
4th Dec 2006, 17:00
I led a squadron of cadets who laid crosses on war graves with the British Legion. I insisted that all graves were visited, crosses laid and salutes offered, regardless of nationality. The parents thought it was correct, as did the cadets and RBL.

Ll

oik
4th Dec 2006, 17:32
I am not an officer. I am an oik. But I am a gentleman and I agree with what he said too.
:)

Jackonicko
4th Dec 2006, 17:40
As a generality, of course the answer is yes.

But are there not exceptions?

Herman Göring, for example. Hans Ulrich Rudel? Some of the lads who quite cheerfully shot at our boys in their parachutes? Who strafed columns of women and children?

I don't know the answer - I'm just asking the question.

Data-Lynx
4th Dec 2006, 17:41
Some of them attended the same school and enjoyed comradeship that might have endured, before different countries called them to battle. I have supported my son's school Remembrance Day and we saluted them all.

Safety_Helmut
4th Dec 2006, 18:11
Interesting that you equate being an officer to being a gentleman :suspect:

S_H

Without Care
4th Dec 2006, 18:24
Quote:
Interesting that you equate being an officer to being a gentleman :suspect:

S_H

SH, far from it. I think , by implication, the comment suggests that there may be Officers, there may be Gentlemen, there may be those that are both and there may be those that are neither.

A bit like sexual orientation really

WC

airborne_artist
4th Dec 2006, 18:27
Jacko - clearly war criminals are not included - but everyone who went into battle and "fought fair" must be respected, regardless of cap badge.

Brian Abraham
5th Dec 2006, 00:36
Definately yes.
Manfred von Richthofen (the Red Baron)
The commanding officer of 3 Sqn, Major David Blake suggested initially that Richthofen had been killed by the crew of one of his squadron's RE8s, which had also fought Richthofen's unit that afternoon. However, following an autopsy that he witnessed, Blake became a strong proponent of the view that an AA machine gunner had killed Richthofen.

In common with most Allied air officers, Blake regarded Manfred von Richthofen with great respect, and he organized a full military funeral. Richthofen was buried in the cemetery at the village of Bertangles near Amiens on 22 April 1918. Six airmen with the rank of captain — the same rank as Richthofen — served as pallbearers, and a guard of honor of six Australian soldiers fired a salute. Other Allied squadrons presented memorial wreaths.

vecvechookattack
5th Dec 2006, 07:27
I generally agree with the thrust of this thread although it is difficult to understand how anyone can be forced to pay respects. Respect is something you have to earn...A concept many of our lords and masters fail to grasp.

However, any person who wears the uniform of his/her country and is prepared to die to protect the freedom of their country gains my respect.

Samuel
5th Dec 2006, 08:29
I think you need to look no further than the American Civil War. There were officers on both sides who had attended the same courses at West Point, and were in many battles, Gettysburg being one, but on opposing sides. They treated each other with the utmost respect.

Yeah, I know, it was a tragedy anyway......

Tigs2
5th Dec 2006, 10:52
Jacko

As a generality, of course the answer is yes.

But are there not exceptions?
Herman Göring, for example. Hans Ulrich Rudel? Some of the lads who quite cheerfully shot at our boys in their parachutes? Who strafed columns of women and children?
I don't know the answer - I'm just asking the question.

War by its very nature makes bad guys out of all of us. I think that had the mainland UK been invaded by thousands of military parachutists our boys would have been out shooting them as they descended as well. War criminals only exist on the loosing side. Had we lost WW II you good bet 100% that Harris would have been hung by the Germans as a war criminal. Our boys new during the fire bombing of Dresden that 60% of the population beneath them were women and children.

There are atrocities committed by every side in every war, and i dont pretend to understand why. War releases the animal within. Maybe those at the top of the tree should be held accountable, but the normal Soldier,Sailor, airman dies doing their 'job'.

I dont know the answer either.

Wader2
5th Dec 2006, 10:53
Removing the banter for a moment.

One issue is a general respect for the dead - any human dead on the assumption that there was some good in there somewhere.

The other issue might be the 'heat of battle' which might be a number of years later and indeed might be related to a different perception of the other person's point of view or culture.

Some people still refuse to buy Japanese products. People refused to shake hands when they surrendered.

How do you treat someone who has stuffed a comrades penis and testicles in their mouth?

How do you treat someone who has caged his captives in bamboo cages immersed in rivers or swamps?

At some point we buy Japanese products, we go to Kenya on holiday, world leaders wear funny costumes at world summits. At some point we forgive the living. How soon should we forgive the dead?

It is a Christian ethic to salute the fallen even if their deeds be out and out evil in our culture.

Maple 01
5th Dec 2006, 10:54
All except the SS :mad: :mad: