PDA

View Full Version : North Pole on Stockholm - Seattle route?

Irishwingz
4th Dec 2006, 06:50
Hi Folks

Flying this route on Wednesday, any idea if it goes over the top?

Just curious;)

WHBM
4th Dec 2006, 13:12
Dependent on winds of course but typically cuts across mid-Greenland and top of Baffin Island. Westbound often further north than Eastbound due to winds.

You really need to do something like Stockholm to Anchorage to come close to the pole.

Swedish Steve
5th Dec 2006, 08:39
Who are you flying Stockholm-Seattle with?
The only scheduled routes at the moment from ARN are to ORD and EWR.

Irishwingz
6th Dec 2006, 12:17
Doh! :ugh: actually flying Copenhagen - Seattle not Stockholm. awaiting my flight now actually.

Thanks WHBM, guess I'll be a bit further south of Greenland now!

PS. on the SAS A321 from LHR they displayed a landing gear cam on take off and approach, way cool. never seen that before though I hear some other airlines do it.

forget
6th Dec 2006, 13:14
If you fly in a 'straight line', which you won't - nowhere near the Pole.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/route.jpg

howflytrg
7th Dec 2006, 15:41
oooo Google earth does great circle tracks. :D Of course there are the airways to contend with. Would a track over the top be a 'random' NAT style track or is there an organised track stucture up there?

Middle Seat
7th Dec 2006, 19:07
I've done this trip a couple of times this year (I see OY-KBD in your future), and it doesn't pass over the true north pole, the line posted by forget wasn't too far off from my last trip back in November. We did pass north of iceland, and flew over the west side of Hudson bay, and then over Edmonton (where percieved time will slow waaaay down).

The landing gear cams are on the 340 fleet as well. There are parts of the flight where the forward cam is pointed towards the sun, and if the skies are clear, you'll not need a window seat.

Bon voyaggie.

PaperTiger
7th Dec 2006, 19:43
I've done this trip a couple of times this year (I see OY-KBD in your future), and it doesn't pass over the true north pole, the line posted by forget wasn't too far off from my last trip back in November. We did pass north of iceland, and flew over the west side of Hudson bay, and then over Edmonton (where percieved time will slow waaaay down).Pretty much what he did yesterday: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SAS937

Left Coaster
7th Dec 2006, 23:04
There are a number of fixed tracks up over he Great White North (Canada) called NCA tracks, they are "lettered" i.e. NCA "C" "B" etc. When you hit 90 degrees west (around Baker Lake) going westbound, time actually STOPS! Well maybe for those based in the west who are working on the usual ****ty sleep in Europe between flights! Polar tracks really only work for USA/Canada to Asia. Check it out on your Google Earth.