PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best heli pilot in the world?

levo
3rd Dec 2006, 18:43
Who is the best heli pilot in the world .

recomend a pilot who is better than you and give a brief reason why they are the best.You could even recomend yourself.

levo
3rd Dec 2006, 18:56
no come on you must have had a mentor in the early days .

Perro Rojo
3rd Dec 2006, 19:14
I don't know about you but I am a HELICOPTER pilot. Where the H do you get a goofy name like helipilot.

P.S. I think Snoopy would have made the best helicopter pilot in the world, after all he did shoot down the Red Baron.

Semi Rigid
3rd Dec 2006, 19:21
beany from beany & cecil fame followed closely by muttley.tintin & the captain were pretty useful at steering as well.

bugdevheli
3rd Dec 2006, 19:24
Igor perhaps

NickLappos
3rd Dec 2006, 19:53
I have flown with lots from all over the world, and the best I have ever seen is between two:

Byron Graham, former Chief R&Dpilot for Sikorsky, and a Marine Corsair pilot in WWII. Civil engineer, and crackerjack TP in every way.

John Dixson, recently retired Chief Pilot for Sikorsky, and an Aero Engineer from Notre Dame, US Army combat veteran (he was at LZ X-Ray, if you saw the movie "We Were Soldiers") and the fellow who guided the S76, S92 and Black Hawk thru development and into production.

In the running, Gui Dabadie of EC. If there is someone on the planet better, I would get chills.

andTompkins
4th Dec 2006, 02:11
Any Bell guys past or present?

sarboy99
4th Dec 2006, 03:59
8 Posts and still no mention of John Prince?

Matthew Parsons
4th Dec 2006, 04:00
I didn't fly with all of the pilots at Canadian in Penticton, so can't comment on many that are probably deserving, but Ev Cameron definitely gets a vote! (I've heard good things about Jan, Bill, and others there)

Perro Rojo, surely you know it was a Canadian, not Snoopy :)

Ioan
4th Dec 2006, 22:33
All depends on what characteristics you think are needed by a good pilot I guess. I admire Quentin Smith for the flying he's done, but is he as good with regards to flying skills as others? Probably Not. Now that's not so say I'd like to organise a round the world flight! Arguably I suppose the all round skills needed to safely conduct a trip like that are far more important than the ability to hold a perfect hover or fly by the numbers.

Best (as in most accurate) flying I've seen though was Leon Smith out of Wycombe Air Park. Never seen someone hand-fly so accurately on instruments!

Aesir
4th Dec 2006, 23:04
Tony Bonham at Air Evac.

I have never seen anyone handle the R-22 like him :D

Bravo73
4th Dec 2006, 23:13
That accolade should probably go to any one of a number of pilots who have put their life on the line in order to save another's. :D

SASless
5th Dec 2006, 01:00
Flying Lawyer has as smooth a control touch I have ever seen....pity the way he earns his living however!

John Luedtke, God rest his soul, bounced a Chinook around a Fire Support Base in pursuit of a 175mm gun Captain like no one I ever saw. Almost got him too but the guy was able to dive into the Brigade TOC on the second lap about the perimeter.

Every British Army QHI I ever met.....legends in their own mind most of them.

Stan Switek
5th Dec 2006, 01:48
No question...... Race Bannon.....

Roger "Race" Bannon used to be a highly-placed government agent, but gave it up when his orders began to clash with his principles. He has been serving as Dr Quest's bodyguard and Operations Manager for several years and has come to regard the Quest family as his extended family.

Race can drive or pilot anything with - and without! - an engine, and has an extensive knowledge of weapons and security intelligence. During his years as a government agent, he constructed quite an elaborate network of contacts around the world - many of whom owe him favors that he collects on from time to time. A devoted father to Jessie, Race is fiercely protective of both his daughter and the Quest family. Despite his gruff exterior and cynical outlook on life, he is an idealist at heart. Race remains on civil terms with his ex-wife and Jessie's mother, South American archaeologist Estella Velasquez.

Race is also flight, driving and boating instructor to Jonny and Jessie - which can sometimes be more perilous than any situation to which he accompanies the Quests.

Although he has given up his government commission, Race is occasionally called upon by his former employers to carry out missions that require his specialized expertise. Nevertheless, his allegiances lie first with the Quests.

andTompkins
5th Dec 2006, 04:45
No question...... Race Bannon.....

And here I was all tied up between The Great Mort Ming and Stringfellow Hawk.

Bertie Thruster
5th Dec 2006, 07:37
Chuck and P.T.

verticalhold
5th Dec 2006, 08:07
Two, now both retired. Jake Jackson formerly of OATS now retired to France and Dave Humble ex manager flight training of BIH Aberdeen.

Jake was my first instructor and had the amazing knack of beating his incredible standards into people without their noticing the huge level of work he was putting them through.

Dave Humble appeared to have been born to fly and was the finest IF instructor I have ever seen at work. His demonstration of an ILS flown from DH to the hold in reverse left me agog (in a S61 sim).

Thanks to both of these men and many other instructors and training captains I have had a varied and thoroughly enjoyable career. I'd hate to have to get a job!

London Mil
5th Dec 2006, 08:27
I think there are some pretty good ones floating around Afghanistan right now.

HeliEng
5th Dec 2006, 12:24
I think that this question is very difficult.

To me, the best pilot in the world has a combination of skill, knowledge, ability and perhaps most importantly AIRMANSHIP!!!

I have read some of the suggestions with interest, and of the ones listed that I know, I would not consider any of them the best pilot in the world by a long way! :(

I'll keep thinking!!
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Rotor Driver
5th Dec 2006, 13:43
I am not so arrogant as to not believe that someone out there is my superior. I have yet to meet him, but he must exist!

skadi
5th Dec 2006, 14:34
I think, its not possible for anyone to determine and name the best helicopterpilot in the world. One essential point is, that nobody knows all of our worldwide collegues and there are many pilots, which are doing a very good job in their respective field. But who is the best overall?

I think, HeliEngs opinion about the combination of skills is absolutely correct.

skadi

MD900 Explorer
5th Dec 2006, 14:34
Well, i have to say, i can't come to a conclusion about who is best, but i have had the privilige of flying with some great pilots out there.

Steve76, 407Driver, Kissmysquirrel, Flingingwings, Flying Pencil, Decimal & Murray Cheslock-HTSC (Ca)

These people to me are inspirational, because they are thoroughly decent people and they are pilots of a noticble quality. It isn't because they have many thousands of hours or because they have flown the world round a few times setting world records, but because of their genuiness as people.

Thanks to you all and safe flying :D

MD :ok:

Bronx
6th Dec 2006, 15:54
I don't go along with the idea that making a mistake disqualifes someone. If it did that's gonna make it a short list. Anyways, even if the guy did screw up, he still got himself and the co-joe out of it alive. And he got back in the saddle and did it right the next time. Maybe its a cultural thing but Brits just love to focus on failure instead of success.

"because of their genuiness as people"?
Maybe that's an idea for another thread.

Anyways, maybe some folk are taking the question far too literal. Of course no one person can say who is 'the best' helicopter pilot in the world because no one person has flown with all the helo pilots in the world and even if they had maybe their not be qualified to judge.
There's no harm in asking if there's one pilot you've flown with who stands out as the best you've known. He or she may not literally be the best in the world but the best in the world that you know of.
Funny thing is while some folk are are criticizing suggestions and others are fussing about what the test should be, the guy here who's got the reputation of being one of the best helicopter pilots in the world modestly suggests the name of other pilots he's learnt from in his career. I reckon that's the right spirit to approach the question.

The Sultan
6th Dec 2006, 16:16
Floyd Carlson

the Sultan

SASless
6th Dec 2006, 16:18
Bronx,

I have learned from Instructors, Captains, Co-pilots, and Students. Sometimes it was to see how to do something, how to do something better, and in some cases on how never to do something.

Thus using "learning from others" as a criteria for them being the "best" might not cover all the bases.;)

ShyTorque
6th Dec 2006, 17:47
I find it safest to keep on reminding myself it's NOT me! ;)

elena
7th Dec 2006, 14:46
I am always shy before posting on pprune since my experience in aviation is limited to ultra lights and 2 flights on helis, but this question I can answer with no doubt...
The best pilot ever is Madame Valérie André, the first doctor to become a general in the French military, the first helicopter pilot too to become a general, and this being a lady...the first lady lieutenant general of course...
She started as a doctor during the Indochina war and because she had a bit of experience in fixed wing (I guess just a PPL and some gliding time...), she was designated to fly one of the first 2 helicopters delivered to the French military, a Hiller 360 on which she qualified in 1950.
She flew countless missions in Laos, Vietnam to rescue the wounded, sometimes she even parachuted from a DC3 in the middle of war zone.
She then flew Alouette 2, 3, Bell47, Djinn, Sikorsky 58 on which she was shot down during the Algerian war.
When I met her in 2000 at Le Bourget I was 15, she introduced herself as a retired military doctor and then gave me her book.
My dream then was to fly with Air France even though I was not too smart at school.
After reading all her stories written with such a humble style it's impossible to discern the danger, the fear, the doubts, my mind focused on just one thing: 1 day, fly helicopters for a living.
It's not because of all her achievements that she is the greatest but because she lighted that fire...

SASless
7th Dec 2006, 17:07
Elena,

Can you provide us the information on the book so that we might buy one....it would be interesting reading I bet. Makes one wonder if she crossed paths with Alan Bristow during his days with the French.

Rotor Driver
7th Dec 2006, 17:35
http://www.hiller.org/files/docs/2000Q2.pdf

I found references to her in "A Street Without Joy", but no books specifically about her. Too bad, she sounds like someone we should know more about.

elena
7th Dec 2006, 17:51
Glad to see my post created some interest, Madame Andre really deserves it...
SASLESS have a look there:
http://www.au.af.mil/au/goe/eaglebios/00bios/andre00.htm

She wrote 2 books, only in French unfortunatly:

"Ici ventilateur" in 1954, mostly about the Indochina war.
"Madame Le Général" in 1988 about all her life.

Both out of print...

kissmysquirrel
7th Dec 2006, 18:08
Sorry. How could a woman possibly be the best helicopter pilot? (ducks for incoming)

HeliEng is right in what he/she says. To be the best would require multiple skills and qualities. Anyone who has crashed due to pilot error can't possibly be up there with the best of them. IMHO.

O27PMR
7th Dec 2006, 18:35
Kissmysquirrel

Are you suggesting that a pilot who has been flying for 30 years and has clocked up 1000's of hours on numerous types, but who had a crash due to pilot error in their early years as a pliot couldn't be up there with the best of them:confused:

Surely everyone is entitled to a mistake and it is only a true reflection on a pilots ability if that mistake is repeated???

As for who the best is... well that depends on what 'best' means.

PR

Bitmonx
7th Dec 2006, 19:50
I think the best Helicopter Pilots are guys like Nick Lappos.

levo
7th Dec 2006, 20:12
Thanks for you replies .But there is a lot more pilots to be placed.

"BEST" we are looking for pilots that are an inspiration to helicopter pilots you may only of flown with a few but one of them will have left you in awe so name him or her.
the pilot i recomend is George Tippler he is so profesional in every aspect he is also very good trainer and teaches to a very high level

So in my tiny world G is the best and i think he deserves a mention.

Levo:D Well done George.

broottmeenoo
7th Dec 2006, 20:17
Valérie André, at the top for sure...
But this guy (Michel Anglade) is not bad either:
http://perso.orange.fr/cernicale/cv.htm

Another French...sorry...
But he is the one who found Mark Thatcher (and 18 others lost on that route) after 4 days in the desert, early 80s, Paris-Dakar Rally...

MarcK
7th Dec 2006, 21:51
To be the best would require multiple skills and qualities.
I guess that's what happens when Stanley Hiller is your instructor. She was also a neurosurgeon, does that count? When she visited the Hiller museum and gave a talk she described how she flew out to do the helicopter rescue (solo, because of weight restrictions), then flew back with the wounded soldier, then operated on him. I think she retired as Chief Air Surgeon of the French Air Force, with time in every aircraft in their inventory.

Head Turner
8th Dec 2006, 09:59
Andy Gutteridge, and yes he crashed a few times but a 100% great pilot and wonderful person with whom it was always a great pleasure to fly with.

Overt Auk
8th Dec 2006, 10:04
brootmeenoo.

Rescuing Mark Thatcher may have been a fine demonstation of skill, but it does display a certain lack of judgement.

OA

broottmeenoo
8th Dec 2006, 12:58
Well, actually this is what happened: on that faithful day, 18 cars and motorcycles were lost because of the tricky navigation (no GPS then) combined with a sand storm.
So Thierry Sabine asked his chief pilot (Michel Anglade) to stay behind and rescue them, bearing in mind some had very little water and could not last more than 1-2 days.
And it took Anglade 3 days, flying from sunrise to sunset, returning to base to refuel, and up in the air again, to find them all.:D
And about Mark Thatcher, his team mate was a French lady Charlotte Verney.
In the French press at this time, they said if they were lost , there might be some hidden reason;) , but after a couple of days, it became obvious they were in deep trouble.
Anyway, Anglade from his heli could not spot who was on the ground, so his job was first to send a radio call to give their position, then to land to give them some water, and then to take off again to find the rest.
So, it was no lack of good judgment since he did not know who was in the car when he spotted a vehicle at the time of the radio call, plus there was this charming lady to be saved;)

albatross
8th Dec 2006, 13:49
A number of years ago in a bar in Schefferville Quebec a number of hard working helicopter crew were undergoing social re-ajustment when one of the group was heard to say to an attractive lady: " I am one of the best helicopter pilots in Canada! In fact I am rated number six!"
Due to the fact that this "Gift to Aviation" had already planted one 206 on floats upside down in the trees during his short career and had a reputation for doing stupid albiet specactular moves I was quite surprised. He would go on to plant a couple of other machines for unsuspecting operators before leaving the industry.
I turned to the guy next to me - a grizzled old salt who was looking and listening with an amused expression - and said: "Geeze I didn't even know there was a contest!"
The grizzled veteran looked at me and said:"Neither did I. You gotta admit, however, that old number Six over there crashes very well! In fact, if I am not wrong, he is about to crash in flames in this very bar as he screws up his approach to the lovely lady. Too fast and too low, too stupid to overshoot. Same way he FUBARED the 206. The boy wonder just doesn't learn! I await more dispatches about his further exploits with great interest. Your round I think.":E
My point - if there is one - if you think you are a hotshot you probably aren't.:=

talkingbaggage
8th Dec 2006, 15:17
Dave Knight keeps telling us he is:ok: ... so he must be.

I believe everything he tells me.....:ugh:

Flying Lawyer
8th Dec 2006, 15:30
I think kissmysquirrel's proposition Anyone who has crashed due to pilot error can't possibly be up there with the best of them. IMHO. is extraordinary.

Being 'up there with the best of them' doesn't mean being infallible.
I don't believe anyone has ever existed, or ever will, who goes through an entire career (in any sphere) without ever making a mistake.
Flying is less forgiving of mistakes than many other professions, but the difference between an error of judgment resulting in a crash or just the need for a change of underwear is often a matter of luck.
Even the best, in any profession, make mistakes.

FL

TheFlyingSquirrel
8th Dec 2006, 15:41
case dismissed then KMS!:p

autosync
8th Dec 2006, 15:47
I think Dennis Kenyon, I could fly every day for the next 50 years and I don’t think that I would ever have the skill or the balls to maneuver a H300 the way he does.....

NickLappos
8th Dec 2006, 16:36
albatross said, "A number of years ago in a bar in Schefferville Quebec a number of hard working helicopter crew were undergoing social re-ajustment when one of the group was heard to say to an attractive lady: " I am one of the best helicopter pilots in Canada! In fact I am rated number six!""

You are right, this guy is guilty of under-bragging. I always told good looking women that I was #1.

Bravo73
8th Dec 2006, 17:08
the guy here who's got the reputation of being one of the best helicopter pilots in the world modestly suggests the name of other pilots he's learnt from in his career.

I always told good looking women that I was #1.

Ahhh, maybe not so modest after all...! ;) :p :)

But, so far, Madame André gets my vote. She'd certainly be in any 'Top 3'! :ok:

Devil 49
8th Dec 2006, 19:42
I'm the best pilot, definitely. I'm an excellent driver, er- pilot.

Actual, serious opinion and recommendation- Virgil Russell.
I flew with Virg when he was in the training department at PHI. Absolute master of the aircraft, consumate professional aviator and instructor pilot. No matter what shape I showed up in to fly that day- check ride nerves, whatever- he'd get the best out of me, teach me something new, and during the process I'd always forget I was being evaluated and taught.

Doc Cameron
9th Dec 2006, 02:33
Though I wouldn't normally leap to the defense of Mr Lappos; I think there may have been a tongue firmly planted in his cheek!

Best pilot: Gary Patterson - some may question this view, still the best I've flown with.

Cheers,

Doc

Bravo73
9th Dec 2006, 10:34
Though I wouldn't normally leap to the defense of Mr Lappos; I think there may have been a tongue firmly planted in his cheek!

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, Doc! And, yep, so was mine. (Hence the winking smiley thingy...) :ok:

ShyTorque
9th Dec 2006, 17:36
Doc

Whose tongue, though? ;)

Surely, a real lady should be more interested in a pilot's handling and button pushing on the ground rather than in the air? :E

What say the ladies around here?

Whirlygig
9th Dec 2006, 19:34
Air? Ground? Makes no difference to me as long as she's a good pilot! :} :p

Cheers

Whirls

topendtorque
9th Dec 2006, 22:22
as long as she's a good pilot! :} :p

Cheers

Whirls

cough :mad: beg yours there whirls - is that a blinder?

I guess there are always about three levels in any application, whether or not any of those applications measure against the others is a mute and or 'blind' point.

'Blind' to many of the practioners of the more bland varieties of application as they've never seen real dexterity in the truest sense of the word.

the bloke depicted below would consider himself only a 'useful' practioner of the second floor level, I know he reserves a lot of respect for what he calls top floor operators. He also has at least 15k+ hours in mainipulating machines in very close proximity to the ground.
http://www.outbackmag.com.au/home.asp?pageid=EBA73141ABF57D53&articleid=3C4CAC8740A0CDED

jayteeto
9th Dec 2006, 22:58
With great confidence I say it is not me, however I nominate any one from hundreds of pilots who have put it on the line in SAR or on operations. Some of my ex-students could not fly an accurate circuit in a million years, but they now have a chestfull of medals for operating under intense fire in Iraq and Afganistan. My best pilot is one who can continue to fly when there are other important things occupying their immediate attention....:eek:

LUXSTAR
11th Dec 2006, 19:53
A crop spraying speacialist,great teacher.....mike horrell at MFH

staticsource
11th Dec 2006, 20:13
Totally agree with the above - a true gent :ok:

kissmysquirrel
11th Dec 2006, 20:58
Poor Mike has me on his list of people who he trained to be an instructor!! I agree with above comments. A true gent. Probably has more R22 hours than most people in the UK I guess.

chester2005
11th Dec 2006, 22:11
IMHO My top 3 (not in order) would have to be Tim Tucker(USA) Guillaume Maillet(USA) and Bill Scarrett (UK)

All of these men must have been born with a collective in their hands.

Chester:ok:

Steam Chicken
12th Dec 2006, 02:03
I'm going to put my vote in for a fella named Duncan McNabb. 20 000 hours rotor and I think that he's done it all, including S61 Night IFR longline ops in the artic.

Duncan is very humble guy, but not to the point that he's wouldn't go out of his way to help a guy out. When I grow up, I want to be like Duncan.

IHL
13th Dec 2006, 00:19
I not sure who is the best, how ever I do have some possibilites on who was the best.

A couple of possibilities:

Carl Agar, operated the first Commercial Helicopter in Canada. He founded Okanagan Helicopters in 1951. An Industry pinoneer, Okanagan Helicopters has since evolved into CHC.

The Soviet Helicopter Pilots at Chernobyl that : “From 27 April to 4 May, 5000 tons of sand and other material were dropped "down the throat" of the smouldering reactors before the fire was contained.”

http://www.ocnus.net/cgi-bin/exec/view.cgi?archive=92&num=23919

Pope Marmalade th 2
13th Dec 2006, 05:14
lou finne, Of course, He is " SLMPLE" The Best.

Head Turner
13th Dec 2006, 15:39
I keep loking for my name but none of you have nominated me. That's just fine by me as I know my limitations. But one thing for sure Pope Marmalade th2 wont make it either, he/she can't even spell.

embrunman
13th Dec 2006, 18:58
Well hopefully, some guys will come up with better proposition than just naming another fellow telling stupidly "he is #1" without explanation or so little...
The 2 Frenchies above (Elena and Broottmeenoo) did an excellent job introducing fellows I never heard before and with quite interesting lives...
Sorry, not a rotor pilot so I have no one to suggest, but having some interest in this topic anyway.

anjouan
13th Dec 2006, 19:19
Valérie André, for all the reasons already mentioned; Alan Bristow for everything he achieved, and a company with his name is still going strong; all helicopter experimental test pilots; Dennis Kenyon.

plus expenses
13th Dec 2006, 19:25
How about Sikorsky - someone had to start without an instructor

Phone Wind
13th Dec 2006, 19:26
There must be hundreds, if not thousands of possible nominations. Who amongst us is fit to judge, and how many have we flown with?

In my totally biased, limited experience with no particular qualifications to be able to say why my opinion is worth anything, I'd say, Derek Jones, ex-CFI of the Bristow Helicopter Training School in Redhill, who was recently honoured by the GAPAN.

NickLappos
13th Dec 2006, 19:31
IHL,
I had the pleasure of meeting some of those Chernobyl pilots, especially Gorgen Karapetyan and Anatoly Greshenko. Quite likely the most heroic pilots I have ever met. And by heroic, I do mean that they simply gave their lives, knowingly, to try and save the lives of thousands. The Mil Bureau management team helped to load the helicopters, and was almost as heavily exposed by the dust they helos brought back. The airframes were buried after the event.

Gorgan described the look of the reactor area as he approached after dark, having been scrambled with his baby, the massive Mil 26. He saw a shimmering beam of blue light extending upward from the exposed reactor core playing on the low clouds like some eerie Hollywood opening. He told me that the radiation in the cockpit was so bad that the digital watches on their wrists stopped. Once he told his CP to turn off the TV tube in the center console because it was so very bright and his CP told him, "It has never been on!" On the first few missions, they got sunburned on the backs of their legs and derriers due to the radiation piercing the aluminum of the aircraft, so they sat on lead sheets afterward. Greschenko paid with his life, having succombed to Lukemia after a struggle with transplants and treatment in the US (organized by my friend Cap Parlier, the project pilot on the Apache.) Gorgan gave me a bottle of Russian Plum Brandy which was reputed to help flush the body of radiation - I still have it, in rememberance. It has a tiny cartoon of an atom on its inscrutable Russian label.

Gorgan wore his "Hero of the Soviet Union" badge on his suit jacket, an award that is not given lightly. As "Bomber" Harris said about the Victoria Cross, it is given for actions that "should not be repeated at frequent intervals."

dragman
13th Dec 2006, 20:16
I rekkon Temuera Morrison deserves a mention. He almost landed an iriquois on K2 in Vertical Limit. Respect to the iwi

PO dust devil
14th Dec 2006, 06:37
Hornsby - Helicopter Resources, Gent & mentor, helo-master.

Antarctic legend.

DD

Graviman
15th Dec 2006, 09:54
Gorgan described the look of the reactor area as he approached after dark, having been scrambled with his baby, the massive Mil 26. He saw a shimmering beam of blue light extending upward from the exposed reactor core playing on the low clouds like some eerie Hollywood opening. He told me that the radiation in the cockpit was so bad that the digital watches on their wrists stopped. Once he told his CP to turn off the TV tube in the center console because it was so very bright and his CP told him, "It has never been on!" On the first few missions, they got sunburned on the backs of their legs and derriers due to the radiation piercing the aluminum of the aircraft, so they sat on lead sheets afterward. Greschenko paid with his life, having succombed to Lukemia after a struggle with transplants and treatment in the US (organized by my friend Cap Parlier, the project pilot on the Apache.) Gorgan gave me a bottle of Russian Plum Brandy which was reputed to help flush the body of radiation - I still have it, in rememberance. It has a tiny cartoon of an atom on its inscrutable Russian label.

That is about the most humbling thing i have ever heard.

Mart

heli1
15th Dec 2006, 14:03
Sikorsky ?? Let's just remember that several Europeans were pioting helicopters around the skies well before Igor got the hang of it,.
So who has the most helo types in their logbook ?( not necessarily rated)Starting point 50 plus.

NickLappos
15th Dec 2006, 14:31
In 1973 a worker on a Dutch rig in the North Sea fell several stories onto a steel deck. The injuries were so severe that his brain was exposed, and he was in a deep coma. The rig called for emergency helicopter evacuation because the typical rig boat would surely kill him during the run to shore that would take several hours. WX was literally zero-zero, with no lift forecast until the next day. There was no breeze and the sea was relatively calm, with a long greasy swell.

Capt Hans Zeedyke launched a KLM S61 from Schiphol with its normal crew and a doctor who had been scrambled from an Amsterdam hospital. He found the rig on radar and identified it by passing overhead, using the ADF swing to be sure he had the right one. He lined up 5 miles out at 100 feet, using the radar and a steady 80 knots, 100 feet above the waves on the rad alt. He timed the range rings with a stop watch, so that he knew precisely how many seconds the last 1/2 mile ring would consume as the radar became unusable, and he had the rig launch a rig boat with a hand-held radio to sit and wait 1/4 mile out on his inbound bearing. The boat was to let him know when he passed overhead, so that he could flare to a hover in time to avoid the rig. He never saw the rig boat, but as he heard the boat's call, he raised the nose a few degrees and concentrated on the speed, altitude and heading, gradually beeping the cyclic into a trimmed hover. As the aircraft came nose down in a 15 knot running hover, the CP called out that one leg of the rig was in sight. He stabilized the hover on that leg - which was the only thing in sight besides the gray swells and the fog - and then raised the collective slowly to climb up to deck height. As the deck came past the windshield, he slowly tilted the nose a bit, came over the deck and then landed. He told me that his legs were shaking so badly, he had trouble setting the brakes.

The crew gathered the stretcher and patient, and they made an ITO off the rig within minutes. The ILS at Amsterdam and patient transfer were uneventful. The patient recovered, with a big plate in his head, of course.

All the crew were awarded the Sikorsky Winged S in a ceremony at KLM later that year.

Camp Freddie
15th Dec 2006, 15:51
I reckon your man Jean Boulet featured here: http://www.eurocopter.com/site/FO/img/1601g72.jpg looks pretty handy to me, for having the bottle to fly at almost 40000 ft (12442m) at -62c and autorotating down from 12100m when the engine flamed out and for the skill in making it safely through 4000m of cloud using only the sun halo as a reference and then making it to the airfield.

the best probably not, but very very handy !

regards

CF

demoman
16th Dec 2006, 15:48
And here I was all tied up between The Great Mort Ming and Stringfellow Hawk.

Thanks for the nomination.

Mort Meng

Overt Auk
16th Dec 2006, 18:07
It all depends on what you are looking for.

Someone with high, repeatable technical ability? It's got to be a test pilot with years of training and thousands of hours.

High skill and big balls? Military or maybe SAR. These guys (and gals) know that any day or night they can be called to fly to the extreme limit and have the judgement and guts to say no, when to carry on would put their own machine at unacceptable risk.

And then there are the guys out there that just once in their life get put in a position where they choose to, or have to perform with exceptional skill and get it right. Just for that one hour or day they are the best because they answer the call.

In the last category I would nominate Stuart Gregg for his rescue of the crew from a sinking rig back in 1988. He and his co- got HAI recognition in 1989 and more recently from BALPA. I can't find the citations but perhaps someone who does have access can remind us of the details.

OA

Matthew Parsons
17th Dec 2006, 00:09
Overt Auk,

Your post hit close to home, unfortunately I can't agree with much of it. I'm a test pilot with a couple thousand hours (not thousands, true) and I used to be a military SAR pilot with a good number of missions worth talking about. I do not think I belong on such a list, and I'm sure those with whom I fly would agree (yet they continue to fly with me). I think many of us have been put in uncomfortable positions and have completed the mission without (further) injuring people or damaging machines. Whether or not exceptional skill is involved depends so much on the stories that follow ;) I'm not saying you're wrong, just pointing out that even more criteria would be required to accurately populate the list.

I already posted on my choices. The people I mentioned understand their machines, have completed their work safely for many years and tens of thousands of hours, have shown exceptional skill, and pass the "if **** hits the fan, would I fly with them?" question.

Matthew.

IHL
17th Dec 2006, 03:50
Nick your story of Capt Hans Zeedyke brings to mind stories I’ve heard about a couple of legendary Okanagan pilots: Michel Durin and Pierre Looten. They may not be the greatest but they deserve honorable mention.

Flying 61s Off Shore out St. Johns Newfoundland (NFLD), in the worst weather the planet has to offer: high winds, rain, freezing rain, sleet, snow, ice, fog, freezing fog and all other forms of crap. (The cold Labrador Current meets with the warm Gulf Stream making it the foggiest place on earth.) These guys were Pioneers in Off Shore helicopter flying and developed procedures that are still used today.

Both these pilots came to Canada from France after the flying helicopters for the French Military in Algeria.

Michel is a no-nonsense man of superior intellect and integrity, I had the good fortune of having him as a Chief Pilot.

Pierre Looten passed away in 2003; unfortunately I never had the honor of meeting him. I have attached a link to his memoriam published in Transport Canada’s 2003 Vortex.

In Memoriam: Remembering Pierre Looten
http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/systemsafety/newsletters/tp202/1-03/V032.htm

Daft bat
17th Dec 2006, 17:31
Dave Knight keeps telling us he is ... so he must be.
How can somebody who used to be a " Pinger " be the best pilot, or am I mistaken was he a CRAB.;)
Also anybody that used to drive an Austin MAXI can't be a good decsion maker. Also when he parks his Austin MAXI he needs to reverse it into a post to let him know he is at the end of the parking bay,:ugh: is also a good reason.
My last point is does his take off's equel the same amount of controlled landing's ( ie the tigermoth incident):D

soggyboxers
17th Dec 2006, 18:18
Overt Auk,

I think the other pilot with Stuart was Roger Williams wasn't it?

I don't think you can generalise with test pilots, SAR or military pilots. I remember one former test pilot some years ago who managed to 'toast' the engine of a B206 because of a certain lack of skill. I have little more competence than the average Ukranian tractor driver despite being both ex military and SAR :E .

From the posts I've read here Valérie André seems to be a strong contender, but who really knows, and by what criteria is this pilot-amongst-pilots to be judged?

cptjim
19th Dec 2006, 00:05
I keep loking for my name but none of you have nominated me. That's just fine by me as I know my limitations. But one thing for sure Pope Marmalade th2 wont make it either, he/she can't even spell.

There I was just about to nominate you and I then realised you couldn't spell either!! :E

Jim :ok:

TheMonk
25th Dec 2006, 04:21
What's that BO-105's pilot's name? I think he's dead, but I nominate him, after Igor, who built and flew that yellow concentric thingy over the pool (at the age of 19). :eek: Wow! 19 years old, made his own chopper and flew it too!
Da Monk

blave
25th Dec 2006, 06:42
What's that BO-105's pilot's name? I think he's dead, but I nominate him, after Igor, who built and flew that yellow concentric thingy over the pool (at the age of 19). :eek: Wow! 19 years old, made his own chopper and flew it too!
Da Monk

Zimmerman.

he's the guy that came to mind for me as well.

another brief comment - the Russian guys that gave it all for the Chernobyl disaster are *heros* - but this thread is about "who's the best pilot" and to me that's a very different thing. I would suspect that many of the aviators that history regards as "heros" were average pilots, or worse.

Dave Blevins

topendtorque
25th Dec 2006, 22:56
I would suspect that many of the aviators that history regards as "heros" were average pilots, or worse.

Yes perhaps, often though that discerning 'moment' is one that is indicative of great capacity.

I personally know a pilot who has very much put himself in the catergory described above, another flying legal type without giving the game away too much, however he is a very humble person, told me, 'that he felt embarrassed and that many others were more deserving'.
I'm not so sure about that methinks.

IFMU
27th Dec 2006, 01:56
Carl Olson and Dave Zazzali. And honestly, I'm not trying to weasle my way into more stick time or anything! But I would take it if offered!

-- IFMU

RotorAdvance
10th Feb 2008, 13:01
New in this game (forum) but think for a long time, why not organize a World Tour - HO IS? the best heli pilot - what the moments should be is on the forum to decide;: ex. hover and absolute standing still! or fly slalom true sticks - or the best autorotation to the ground...

Help me out and let us find what it should be that ax;: the pilot skill to be the BEST of the BEST of the BEST...

Copy!!!

:=

Price Money 1 milj. USD... or more..................

RotorAdvance
12th Feb 2008, 12:02
Think I POST IT! in wrong forum - but here it is - I hope it right this time...

Why not organize a World Heli Tour - Ho is? - the best heli pilot in the world!
New in this game (forum) but think for a long time, why not organize a World Tour - HO IS? the best heli pilot - what the moments should be is on the forum to decide;: ex. hover and absolute standing still! or fly slalom true sticks - or the best autorotation to the ground...

Help me out and let us find what it should be that ax;: the pilot skill to be the BEST of the BEST of the BEST...

Copy!!!

:=

Price Money 1 milj. USD... or more..................

Whirlygig
12th Feb 2008, 12:11
I think that's the World Helicopter Championships? Except the prize is probably little more than nonour, recognition and glory!

Cheers

Whirls

Dan Reno
12th Feb 2008, 12:38
I still believe Igor Sikorsky's ability to control those early helicopters prior to understanding and mechanicaly correcting for gyroscopic precession makes him the winner hands-down.

Kruxl
14th Feb 2008, 22:56
The best pilots are the ones which are the safest!!!!!!!!!!

HELOFAN
15th Feb 2008, 14:09
Kruxl.....and the ones that are no longer with us that showed us the way.

HF

deadly encounter kid
29th Apr 2011, 18:37
You can take this oppinion however you want. My father told me that no one could be the best because there is always someone better.
My Father was the helicopter pilot in Deadly Encounter 1982.
In my oppinion he was the best.
YouTube - Helicopter stunts from "Deadly Encounter" ('82)

Larry Kirsch
1947-2000

500 Fan
30th Apr 2011, 11:21
The sequence in that video at 04:50 is just about the pinnacle of stunt flying and is an event that we will never see matched again. In theory, all he had to do while flying down the storm drain was keep it straight-and- level. Easy, except he had less than five feet of clearance on his rotor tips and even less clearance above and below. It is a pity CGI is taking over from real flying in movies these days.

Not sure if Mr. Kirsch is THE best, but he was certainly one of the most gifted (and bravest) pilots ever to strap on a helicopter.

500 Fan.

Vertical Freedom
30th Apr 2011, 13:51
Anyone know of a torrent download site for Deadly Encounter please? Cant seem to find it..hmmmmm Thanks :ok:

GGR
30th Apr 2011, 14:42
Crop spraying specialist

Would be hard pushed to find a better man than John Ridings at this game.

GGR

grumpytroll
30th Apr 2011, 18:03
Michael J. Novosel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_J._Novosel)

This man had a unimaginable aviation career. Please take a look at his bio.

Cheers

500e
30th Apr 2011, 18:09
SAS

some info but only snippet

All about Valerie Andre: Biography, Life facts, Information, Pictures, Timeline, Childhood « Info (http://pagerankstudio.com/Blog/2010/09/all-about-valerie-andre-biography-life-facts-information-pictures-timeline-childhood/)

Wiretensioner
1st May 2011, 19:44
All the D Flt, 202 Sqn pilots when I was there 1992-1998. Especially Basil, all round good guy and superb captain, and Tallsar who knew how to get the best out of the Sea King especially in the mountains. Thank you all for keeping me safe.

Wiretensioner

foxmead
1st May 2011, 19:52
Many Many years ago i remember front line fighter pilots transfering onto Pumas / Sioux, some excellent flying i witnessed particularly one guy who would fly in anything, sorry cannot recall his name, but those guys were excellent.

unmanned transport
2nd May 2011, 02:34
Rainer Wilke flying the BO-105 is worthy of mention.

YouTube - Red Bull Airrace - Lausitzring - BO-105 Rainer Wilke (HD)

Flying Bajan
14th May 2011, 16:08
Dave Forgie..... best BO 105 pilot on the planet :-)

MarcK
14th May 2011, 16:22
General Valerie Andre visited the Hiller Aviation Museum and gave a talk about her history with Mr. Hiller and the conflict in Viet Nam. She retired as the chief flight surgeon in France, and had flown every type of aircraft in the French inventory.

In Viet Nam she would pilot the evacuation flights, then move into the hospital to operate on the soldiers she had just flown.

Remarkable.

Tcabot113
5th Sep 2012, 22:37
Mort Meng (it is Dutch but we always called him "Chinese") has passed on today. He was one of the OH-58D introduction into service pilots, a solid production test pilot, Bell demo pilot, and by any standards the best stick I have ever seen.

TC

n5296s
6th Sep 2012, 05:52
How did I live all this time without having seen the Deadly Encounter flying scenes! Just absolutely amazing! The drain gully flying is good and the loop around the bridge isn't bad either - I know that in theory you can loop anything, but that doesn't mean you really can.

Thanks for posting! For sure a strong candidate for the best helicopter flying ever.

lamanated
17th May 2016, 12:00
I've seen 3 in 20 odd years. One was a backhoe operator, he could hover in his first Hr,and was smooth as Ive seen, another was from Quebec Canada, and had 3 fingers on his right hand I think.. and the third was an instructor at the 408 air reserves in Edmonton Canada who flies an air ambulance now.. he was super smooth as well.. only remember his name as Tom..

SASless
17th May 2016, 15:42
Certainly not me! I was just very lucky!

Hughes500
17th May 2016, 19:09
Deadly Encounter
Perhaps some of the most iconic helicopters ever Lama, Gazelle, 500, Jetbanger
Not sure the " loop" round the bridge is a loop looks more like a torque turn !

JerryG
17th May 2016, 19:41
I learned a great lesson on this topic a couple of decades back (actually 3.5 decades!).

I'd just left the SAR job and all the publicity that goes with that. For some years I would occasionally meet younger pilots who would say "Of course I know you by reputation" and I would nod gratefully and sagely.

Many years later the same thing happened again. I replied "Hang on a minute, you can barely have been wearing diapers at the time I was doing all that stuff"

"That's true" the young aviator responded "but I've just qualified as a QHI in the RN"
I must have looked suitably blank, so he continued "... and you're used as an example on that course"
"I'm used as an example of what?" I hesitantly enquired.
"You're used as an example of why instructors should persevere with idiots because they might turn out to be adequate in the end" :{ :{ :{

(And, just for the record ... David Voy and Uncle Dennis - For simultaneously being consummate gentlemen and consummate aviators)

Same again
17th May 2016, 22:07
The best pilots will never be mentioned on here. They simply do their job to the best of their ability day after day conscious of the fact that they will always be remembered by the last job they ever did.

griffothefog
19th May 2016, 17:16
Whisper mode...

the_flying_cop
19th May 2016, 18:20
The Bishop.

krypton_john
19th May 2016, 20:29
It's gotta be either Crab or AnFI.

Same again
19th May 2016, 22:52
Depends who you speak to. Most people who know Crab tell me that he tells them he is the best. I don't know anyone who knows AnFI.

Hughes500
20th May 2016, 10:44
The best ? The one who makes the correct decisions at the correct time even if that means unhappy punters when sitting in a field !

ShyTorque
20th May 2016, 12:57
I've known lots of helicopter pilots, quite a few of them made it obvious they thought they were better than everyone else.

Many of those are dead.

Ascend Charlie
22nd May 2016, 23:08
I knew a pilot who said:

"I am the SECOND best pilot in the world. There is possibly somebody out there who is better, but I haven't met him yet."

nellycopter
24th May 2016, 19:55
Me....... Every time I land the aircraft safely ......

Sir Niall Dementia
26th May 2016, 14:14
According to the C.V.s I get every week, every newly qualified CPL with 200 hours!

I still reckon the late Jake Jackson was one of the best, Dave Humble was an astonishing trainer and Uncle Dennis showed things I didn't know a helicopter could do!

SND