PDA

View Full Version : Cursor dropping off screen

NG708
3rd Dec 2006, 09:31
Can anyone help?

Just had to reinstall Windows after reformatting the hard disk due to problems.

However now the mouse cursor doesn't seem to stop at the edge of the screen but disappears off the edge when you move it. ie it's not bound by the screen limits.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Many thanks.

effortless
3rd Dec 2006, 09:57
Resize screen, your settings have changed. You can use your monitor to do this if you want to keep the settings.

d71146
3rd Dec 2006, 11:00
Can anyone help?
Just had to reinstall Windows after reformatting the hard disk due to problems.
However now the mouse cursor doesn't seem to stop at the edge of the screen but disappears off the edge when you move it. ie it's not bound by the screen limits.
Does anyone know how to solve this?
Many thanks.

I have suffered this irritating problem if you have an infrared mouse it could well be the batteries in the mouse they use batteries as if there is no tomorrow.
I did a while ago have a mouse that did this with alarming regularity it went out with the rubbish problem solved.

The mouse I now have was rather expensive and is working fine no problems.

Keef
3rd Dec 2006, 16:47
I think you're talking about a cordless mouse - a good idea, provided you have a good source of free batteries. A wired optical mouse is the way I'd go.

But NG708's problem isn't that. It's almost certainly a glitch in the screen settings. That may mean using the proprietary screen control software that came with the video card, or the standard Windows or Linux stuff, depending.

d71146
3rd Dec 2006, 19:14
I think you're talking about a cordless mouse - a good idea, provided you have a good source of free batteries. A wired optical mouse is the way I'd go.
But NG708's problem isn't that. It's almost certainly a glitch in the screen settings. That may mean using the proprietary screen control software that came with the video card, or the standard Windows or Linux stuff, depending.

Yes sorry that's what I meant a cordless mouse I now have a wired optical mouse no problems at all now.

NG708
5th Dec 2006, 13:02
Thanks -I've tried resizing the screen, both with the monitor controls and using 'Display' properties to no effect.

I've also reinstalled the Nvidia package that runs the graphics card and the mouse and screen drivers.

It seems that I need to redifine the screen area/boundary somehow as it only drops off the RH side or bottom.

Any thoughts again?

Saab Dastard
5th Dec 2006, 21:27
Just to check - are you seeing all of the desktop, or just a portion? If you maximise a window, do you see the minimise/restore down/close controls at the top RH corner, and the status bar at the bottom?

Do you see the whole task bar along the bottom - from the Start button to the clock in the system tray?

Do you have a flat-panel or CRT monitor?

Do you have the correct monitor driver (as distinct from the graphics card driver)?

Have you inadvertently set up a 2 screen display, with the mouse scrolling correctly to the 2nd monitor (that's missing)?

SD

effortless
6th Dec 2006, 08:56
Sorry I should have been more clear. You can try resizing the screen with>

Right click desktop> settings and change the resolution. You can also use the Nvidia tools.

NG708
9th Dec 2006, 08:31
Thanks all.

Saab got it right - I'd split the display over two monitors so it was dropping off onto the 'other' screen.

Resetting to a single display worked well.

Cheers
NG708