PDA

View Full Version : Trojan 'ruin'

pzu
1st Dec 2006, 22:32
HELP

Have been infected with a Trojan - Spyware Doctor calls it 'RUIN'

It got past McAfee and symptoms are that on start up the Home page appears blank and then a pseudo search engine appears listing top ten searches - primarily ADULT in nature

On selecting a 'Favourite' it either comes up as Server not available or goes to a Top Shelf type page
Ran McAfee and nothing detected, downloaded Spyware Doctor and Trojan Ruin found - purchased and ran the fix seemed OK all gone but within an hour its back with a vengeance and neither McAfee or Spyware can detect anything

Only way I can get a clean NET connection is cia a link from an embedded URL in an e-mail

Any suggestions:confused: :ugh: :O

PZU - Out of Africa

PS Think I've sussed the original source - a corrupted HOTMAIL e-mail from a Chinese guy in Pakistan - the guy himself is reliable but I know his company had a load of trouble in the past

Tarq57
1st Dec 2006, 22:46
This trojan has been around a while, unless it's changed it's spots.
Try downloading AVG antispyware. http://free.grisoft.com/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5 update it, and run it. Select clean for everything it finds.
Boot into safe made and run it again. This will take longer. You may have to delete all restore points after the 2nd clean, and run a 3rd.
AVG antispyware, formerly Ewido, is pretty good at trojans and a lot of spyware. From memory that download gives you a 30day trial, then it reverts to an on-demand scanner.
Consider getting a realtime antispyware application. And maybe an av that's a bit better than MacAfee.

pzu
5th Dec 2006, 09:52
This trojan has been around a while, unless it's changed it's spots.
Try downloading AVG antispyware. http://free.grisoft.com/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5 update it, and run it. Select clean for everything it finds.
Boot into safe made and run it again. This will take longer. You may have to delete all restore points after the 2nd clean, and run a 3rd.
AVG antispyware, formerly Ewido, is pretty good at trojans and a lot of spyware. From memory that download gives you a 30day trial, then it reverts to an on-demand scanner.
Consider getting a realtime antispyware application. And maybe an av that's a bit better than MacAfee.

Thanks

PZU - Out of Africa:ok:

Tarq57
5th Dec 2006, 09:55
Killed it?