View Full Version : Helicopter Aerobatics

WASALOADIE
1st Dec 2006, 16:05
I've not seen this vid before.

a few flickering red captions!

http://www.glumbert.com/media/aerobatics

levo
1st Dec 2006, 21:33
That looks amazzzzing what is the best helicopter in the world to do these stunts bo105 gazzele lyxx looks like the military boys are good at it .

FH1100 Pilot
2nd Dec 2006, 01:52
Hey...isn't that the same guy who flew the German television host, flip-flopped him around a bit then made him puke?

fulldownauto
2nd Dec 2006, 02:51
I'm curious as to the limitations of the Bo105. Is there anything he could have done that would have induced a damaging or hazardous condition? He most certainly demonstrated Cyclic control during inverted flight, but does the helicopter maintain the same controlability in low G?

Also does the Bo105 have a mast moment limitation that this pilot would have to watch out for?

Does the governor maintain RPM during all these maneuvers or did the pilot have to be careful to load up the blades sufficently so as to not see an excessive RPM increase during accelerated maneuvers?

Thanks

skadi
2nd Dec 2006, 08:29
This has been posted already some time ago:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235061

There is a Mastmoment-Indicator, which should be watched carefully during such maneuvers, but if flown correctly, no problem. These Aerobatics were flown with the BO 105 since the late 70s.

skadi

spinwing
2nd Dec 2006, 09:20
All Civil Registered MBB Bo 105 have a flight manual restriction as follows ......

ALL INTENTIONAL AEROBATIC MANAUVERS ARE PROHIBITED !!!!!!! :eek:

Note : Governors will maintain Nr BUT Engines (Allison C20/B) May not maintain Oil pressure sufficiant to prevent internal damage.

rjtjrt
17th Aug 2011, 22:29
Mil Mi-34 Hermit Aerobatics - Video (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1109693/mil_mi_34_hermit_aerobatics/)

0hKVROWpix4

Scott C
17th Aug 2011, 23:15
That's just not right lol! :eek: :p

Aucky
10th Nov 2013, 21:58
HxAn4jAl9e0

Does the 500's manual explicitly prohibit aero's? What is the outcome of a display like this with clear full loops? Would the aircraft be grounded as it's gone outside it's flight envelope? I think that happened with the B407 that was looped and rolled at Virginia Airshow, South Africa in 2004/2005. Is there an EASA definition for heli aerobatics? I know similar has been had before here (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/194589-faa-definition-aerobatics.html) but just curious about all the G-REG civvy helicopters that display doing wingovers, stall turns, freestyle etc...

elro
10th Nov 2013, 22:21
That's Gunther Zimmerman in his 500 there.
Sadly that man passed away with a low loop.. He would have survived if there was no fire. The 500 is a well built airframe and can take a lot of punishment; hence why it was well proven in vietnam. I'd say that you can loop the 500 any amount of times, just make sure you have height!
5_hFSzOKTD8

obnoxio f*ckwit
10th Nov 2013, 22:58
RAF to EC: the Puma Flight Manual says "no aerobatics", what does EC mean by 'aerobatic' exactly?

EC: "Manoeuvres in which the pilot has received special training etc etcetera etc"

RAF: "so if we "specially" trained a Puma pilot to do a loop, that would be OK?

EC: "No, because that would be aerobatic"

RAF: "what does EC mean by 'aerobatic' exactly?"

EC: ""Manoeuvres in which the pilot has received special training etc etcetera etc"

RAF: "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhhhhhh!"

ShyTorque
10th Nov 2013, 23:27
It used to be universally understood on the squadrons that the aircraft should not be flown outside the envelope over which it had been tested. So if the test pilots hadn't done it, a squadron pilot shouldn't be doing it.

But then again, surely any less than 90 degrees nose up/down or 90 degrees isn't aerobatic....

My Puma HC1 display (where did those last two and a half decades go?) took the aircraft to slightly more than 90 degrees nose up and a bit more nose down. I'm certain I could have looped it because of the Puma's excellent pitch response. On the other hand, the aircraft was quite restricted in roll because of the shim box on the cyclic - you hit a physical stop in lateral movement. This also determined the lateral sloping ground limits because the aircraft could roll against full opposite cyclic on the ground.

Ascend Charlie
11th Nov 2013, 03:53
I believe the BO105 limitations are the same as the BK 117 :

Plus 3.5 g
Minus 1

Somewhat bigger than most helos at +2.7 and +0.5

The minus 1g is to cover big pushovers during terrain flight.

The German army used to regularly do a roll-over and pull-through from 2000' or less. May have even been 1000', it was hard to understand der Cherman Tezt Bilot ve vlew vit. But a -1g bunt raises a lot of dust off the floor and into the eyes - gotta keep a clean house.

obnoxio f*ckwit
11th Nov 2013, 07:13
ShyTorque, you're not the chap who managed to score the tail pylon with the tail rotor blades by any chance?:)
Yes, 90 deg roll and pitch, it was in the RTS etc but ISTR that was the UK mil definition of aerobatic manoeuvres. The 330 RFM also contained the no aerobatics restriction and we were interested in what EC thought it was, and whether it was more restrictive than ours.

We gave up trying in the end, after all, it was about to go out of service...

ShyTorque
11th Nov 2013, 08:59
ShyTorque, you're not the chap who managed to score the tail pylon with the rail rotor blades by any chance?

No, definitely not. My display season was completed without incident or damage to the aircraft.

Somewhere, there is a video of the display with my commentary overdubbed for the AOC's perusal but it had mysteriously gone AWOL from Odiham before I could obtain a copy for myself. :(

jayteeto
12th Nov 2013, 09:27
The OSLO made the tail rotor blades impact the pylon. Good display to watch :ooh:
I spoke to an EC senior engineer years ago and he said the Puma should not be bunted at all! He also said that the engine idle time for temp stabilisation should be minimum two minutes. EC reduced the time so that the customer would be happier.

MightyGem
12th Nov 2013, 21:55
EC: "Manoeuvres in which the pilot has received special training etc etcetera etc"
That's easy then. Just don't give the pilots special training. :E