PDA

View Full Version : BAC Express Airlines Ops

Old Bournemouthian
30th Nov 2006, 19:15
Hi, I'm new to this so not sure if this thread is in the correct forum. Mods, please feel free to move it if not.

I've been invited to attend an interview for Operations Officer with BAC Express next week and was wondering whether anyone has any info about the job itself and the company in general.

I've looked at their website and there is a little info about the fleet, but not much else. And i've also searched on here, but can't find anything about BAC themselves.

Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

HZ123
2nd Dec 2006, 19:13
I thought that thay had as good as gone bust some 6 months ago, but clearly not. Suggest you put thia up on cargo thread I am sure you learn.

HZ123
2nd Dec 2006, 19:15
I thought that thay had as good as gone bust some 6 months ago, but clearly not. Suggest you put thia up on freight dogs thread I am sure you learn.

VIKING9
3rd Dec 2006, 07:05
When I worked there some years back, we had a good team in OPS. The Ops Manager was a sound bloke and I'd work for him again anyday. There were problems, but no more I guess than any other small operator. I think I would have stayed had it not been for the fact I was offered a job with a loco and closer to home.

The company has gone through lots of changes over the last few years or so and has moved away from Air Contractors ownership. Now privately owned I believe and starting to expand which in the present climate, is good news.

I think it's time maybe for them to take a look at updating all their systems and go a bit more automated in terms of crewing, data recording etc. Costs have to be considered it's true, but in order to be more efficient, they need to change the way some things are done. IMHO you understand !!

Maybe look at more modern a/c too, like ATR's. Surely the sheds days are numbered ???

I wonder if there's any truth in the rumour of a move to Oxford, home of the new owners !!

GBALU53
3rd Dec 2006, 07:50
Viking9

BAC are starting to come back in a big way four of the ex Emerald Shorts 360 from what i understand are being ferried to Coventry to be made fit to fly again.

Two other 360s of Emerald still have currant C of As so they will not require much to get them airbourne flying commercially.

There were five 360s at Coventry two weeks ago, two look as though they will be scraped, two more had engines missing but one was locked away in a hangar this could be another one that still has a currant C of A.

With Air Contractors pulling out of Bournemouth from what i understand this could become a Base for several 360s.

There are a number of contracts comming up for renewal out of Bournemouth shortly from what i have heard and some by the look of it could be heading BACs way??:ok: :ok:

VIKING9
3rd Dec 2006, 08:06
Viking9
BAC are starting to come back in a big way four of the ex Emerald Shorts 360 from what i understand are being ferried to Coventry to be made fit to fly again.
Two other 360s of Emerald still have currant C of As so they will not require much to get them airbourne flying commercially.
There were five 360s at Coventry two weeks ago, two look as though they will be scraped, two more had engines missing but one was locked away in a hangar this could be another one that still has a currant C of A.
With Air Contractors pulling out of Bournemouth from what i understand this could become a Base for several 360s.
There are a number of contracts comming up for renewal out of Bournemouth shortly from what i have heard and some by the look of it could be heading BACs way??:ok: :ok:

All good news then. Lets hope the work does go their way. Will they find drivers for all these sheds ??

Richard Taylor
3rd Dec 2006, 08:07
BAC have one Shed up here doing ABZ-EMA mail flights, apparently having wrestled the contract from Benair's clutches. Benair continue to do ABZ-EDI, though I thought I read that BAC were going to do that one too...perhaps not.

Nice to see BAC on way back.

Bobby Z
4th Dec 2006, 06:30
As an ex-employee who deals with BAC on occasion I can tell you that a certain degree of uncertainty was caused when the old HQ was sold by Air Contractors as the 'new' BAC were merely tennants, it seemed at the time that it would be an option to move to the parent company location in Oxfordshire, but as the main AOC post holders all were LGW men, it was felt that new premises would be sought and the business would stay there.

BAC Express seem happy in their 'new' home so where your information comes from i'm not quite sure. Why would they advertise for Crawley based staff if they were moving ???????

As for the 'Ops Room' I think they will be looking forward to having an extra body around to lighten the load a bit most ex collegues I talk to seem settled and looking forward to the challenges that lie ahead, as most of them have been loyal to the company for many years through different owners and in good times and bad it certainly makes a refreshing change to see stability, particularly when a fair few others on this forum seem to have a different job/employer to critisise on a monthly basis:ok:

Rome wasn't built in day, but from a customers point of view (I am a broker) I guess that BAC use their resources on Customer Service and product rather than a profanity of gadgets to make the Ops guys life a tiny bit easier !

Old Bournemouthian
7th Dec 2006, 13:57
Thanks for all the info guys. Was very useful.

Had the interview yesterday and have been invited to a 2nd one at the parent company's head office in Oxfordshire next week.

Seems like a great company to work for and a really good bunch of people. Big expansion planned for the future, so some exciting times ahead for BAC Express.

OB