PDA

View Full Version : Transfer of iPod tunes from PC to MacBook

unconcerned
30th Nov 2006, 14:06
Did a search with no result so sorry if this has been covered before.

I did the deed and bought a MacBook :) Steep learning curve for a PC diehard, but I love the integrated software and I’m slowly getting to grips with video editing (much to my Daughter’s dismay!). :ok:

I plugged my iPod into the laptop but it told me that I couldn’t have two machines authorised at the same time and that I couldn’t import PC format iTunes.

No big deal to carry on using my PC desktop to run iTunes, but is there an easy way to switch it to my MacBook without re-loading all the hundreds of tracks from my CD collection? (I have no downloaded tunes from the internet, but may well do so in the future now I have 16 Meg broadband).

Thanks all :)

Jet II
30th Nov 2006, 14:14
Have you tried Apples tutorial on how to move your itunes library from a PC to your Mac?
Apple tutorial (http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/tutorial/ip_gettingstarted_t14.html)

VH-MTT
30th Nov 2006, 15:59
I have done this a few times, all you need to do is copy all the folders from your pc to your macbook, you can do this over a network, or if you have a 6-6 pin firewire cable you can attach your macbook as a firewire drive if you hold down t whilst booting the mac. you can then just copy the files over.

once you have the files on your macbook, just import the files into your library.

M.

unconcerned
1st Dec 2006, 14:24
:O Sorry, but thanks for the replies :ok:

Have to say I find trying to read Apple's help notes (as opposed to a hard copy) quite tiresome for somebody who has become used to Mr Gate's mollycoddling. I'd also add that I printed off all the help notes for iMovies and I'm still struggling in some areas.

Probably just me, but I have formed the clear impression that the Mac is a wondrous, well-integrated tool - but they do seem to expect you to be a geek as well.

Removes thick framed glasses....

Willows
1st Dec 2006, 16:41
There is a little app called Senuti (http://www.fadingred.org/senuti/) which enables you to transfer songs off your iPod on to another computer.

Install that, connect your iPod and then transfer your music. :-)

Actually, iPodRip (http://www.thelittleappfactory.com/application.php?app=iPodRip) is the app I had to use one time after a hard drive failure. I think it's laid out a little bit better than Senuti. I recommend you use this.

planecrazy.eu
5th Dec 2006, 15:00
You can open the music folder right on the ipod, its a hidden folder so if you un-hide it they you can see the folders with the music in them, just copy and paste, thats what i have done as itunes wouldnt let me import any of the tracks from my ipod.

unconcerned
8th Dec 2006, 15:31
Thanks all :ok:

I'm taking advice and learning as I go.

Making my first feature film (about one of our family dogs) this weekend. Chances are I'll be back for more advice :O

unconcerned
16th Dec 2006, 13:12
Me again :confused:

Loaded ipodrip, read the tutorial, clicked recover and chose iTunes as the recovery destination. The operation only took a couple of seconds which seems fast for 500 odd tracks but they seem to be there. However, opening up iTunes and going to file>import shows the iTunes library but there's nothing in there. Any ideas?

Willows
16th Dec 2006, 20:18
Me again :confused:
Loaded ipodrip, read the tutorial, clicked recover and chose iTunes as the recovery destination. The operation only took a couple of seconds which seems fast for 500 odd tracks but they seem to be there. However, opening up iTunes and going to file>import shows the iTunes library but there's nothing in there. Any ideas?

I'm not on the Mac right now so I can't test this problem but I think you have to point iTunes to where your music is.

So in iTunes, under preferences then advanced, there should be an "iTunes Music Folder location" or something. Go into that and click "Change location" and point it to the folder that you imported with iPodrip.

It is a good idea to keep this in your Home Folder under "Music". (Macintosh HD>Home Folder (Your name most likely)>Music)

I think this is it but if not, I'll have a look on the Mac when I can. You might also have to consolidate the library (Menu bar, Advanced, Consolidate Library) but try the above first.

unconcerned
27th Dec 2006, 13:05
Many (belated) thanks, Willows - I finally had time to get it sorted yesterday and your advice was spot on :ok:

Now...... does anyone know how I delete an unwanted item from my favourites? It won't drag to the trash can and I can't right click to delete it :{

unimuts
27th Dec 2006, 15:14
unconcerned,
Well after a month of using your mac how is it going ? I ask cause im in the market for a new laptop.
Cant make up my mind mac book or not ! I'm a die hard microsoft bod and just wondering.
Your honest opion pro's and con's would be greatfully received.
Uni

unconcerned
27th Dec 2006, 15:30
Well...... I can only give a partial reply to that as I simply havent had enough spare time to play with it as much as I would like (story of my life ;) )

Pros:
It attracts loads of admiring glances and knowing smiles.
The software is beautifully integrated.
It seems very stable.

Cons:
No manual - everything is in the various help topics which you either have to plough through or print off and lug around (and some of them are less than helpful).
No right click facility.

If I had a friend with a Mac I reckon half an hour's consultation would sort me out and I'd now be raving about Macs. As it is, I don't so I keep bothering the very nice and extremely helpful people on here :)

One last thought - I was given the latest MS Flight Sim for Christmas. Tried to load it onto my 3 year old home PC to be informed that I had to have SP2 before I could run the game. I don't want SP2. The Mac's absence of software conflicts and M$ bullying is a refreshing change.

Good luck!