PDA

View Full Version : Coltishall

ORAC
30th Nov 2006, 12:27
going, going.....and gone....

EDP - 30 November 2006 09:18

Station bosses at RAF Coltishall have managed to close the base millions of pounds under budget and a month earlier than originally planned.Although the exact figures have not been revealed, the underspend was significant according to station commander Sqn Ldr Jason Hughes.

As preparations were finalised yesterday for today's final turning of the key in the lock today, Sqn Ldr Hughes praised the hard work and dedication of his 'draw down' team.

"In terms of the way this base has been closed, it is a real success. We are several million pounds under budget and after being given eight months to do this, it has been finished in seven," he said. "The people in the draw down team have worked incredibly hard and the project has been completed in a pragmatic way."

All those involved in today's closure will be determined to ensure a fitting conclusion to the life of the site as an RAF base.

Today's events will be open to all - as long as they have photo identification.

Gates open at 9.30am via the Filby Road entrance and not the usual main gate entrance.

At 9.45am a Hurricane will land for a static display, weather permitting, leaving again at 10.30am.

A display of marching and music by the City of Norwich Pipe Band will be held outside station headquarters at 10.45am, followed by the guard of honour and band marching on.

A general salute will be given at 11am before the reviewing officer as a Hurricane and three Jaguars perform a flypast - again weather permitting.

After an address by the reviewing officer, the RAF ensign will be lowered for the last time at 11.08am.

As the guard of honour and band march off there will be another flypast by the four aircraft, then a solo display by the Hurricane.

At 11.20am there will be a ceremonial closure of RAF Coltishall at the main gate......

and now the fight starts over it becoming a detention centre: Battle stations around Coltishall (http://www.northnorfolknews.co.uk/content/northnorfolknews/news/story.aspx?brand=NNNOnline&category=news&tBrand=NNNonline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED30%20Nov%202006%2010%3A12%3A36%3A180)

Kitbag
30th Nov 2006, 12:34
Sad day, I spent many happy years there. Shame it wasn't publicised for those who wanted to see it close.

RIP Colt

Inspector Dreyfuss
30th Nov 2006, 12:41
ORAC,
Bet you'd never have thought you'd live to see the day when Jason Hughes was OC Coltishall!
How many hours did you spend in the bar there? I don't think I was far behind you!

A tremendous shame to lose Colt - another part of the RAF's soul has now disappeared. Another blow will be the closure of Bentley next year. Additionally, in my view, Lincolnshire has never held the same appeal as that part of Norfolk.

ORAC
30th Nov 2006, 12:50
I´m running out of RAF stations I know how to get too, let alone lived at.... :(

p.s. I´ll know I´m really old when I see Max as a Gp Capt.... :p

Just worked it out, been over 12 years since I controlled my last PI and left Neatishead for BP.

snapper41
30th Nov 2006, 14:35
It's a cliche that such-and-such a station is the best keep secret in the RAF, but Colt surely was. 3 great years there in the early 90s, and very sad to see it close. How many times I managed to fall off my bike on the way back from Happy Hour to our MQ, I don't know. Always a friendly, cheerful place, with a great work ethic.

rab-k
30th Nov 2006, 14:37
Good! Now I can tell you all about the Hunter FGA9 done up in a Soviet-style paint job that I saw parked in a hanger one day, and was told never to tell anyone about. Hold on, there's somebody at the front door.....

Wyler
30th Nov 2006, 14:46
Had a drive fround the old Married Patch 2 weeks ago. Sad to see the Mess all closed up and dark. Saw my old MQ as well (same carpets as 96!!). Happy days ( and nights). Still, if they are going to put Asylum seekers in there, no expense will be spared on modernisation. :mad: :mad:

The Helpful Stacker
30th Nov 2006, 15:21
Good! Now I can tell you all about the Hunter FGA9 done up in a Soviet-style paint job that I saw parked in a hanger one day, and was told never to tell anyone about. Hold on, there's somebody at the front door.....

Isn't a Hunter similarly marked parked up at North Luffenham?

rab-k
30th Nov 2006, 17:08
Isn't a Hunter similarly marked parked up at North Luffenham?

Well bu**er me!

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/hunter/survivors/xg194northluffenham.jpg

Could well be the same one - but we are talking 20 odd years ago in the case of the one I, ahem, didn't see.

Cheers Stacks! :ok:

(Google is your friend!: http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/hunter/survivorspics8.html )

AonP
1st Dec 2006, 15:16
An article on the closure including a 3 min video
http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=edponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED30%20Nov%202006%2017%3A50%3A46%3A940
RIP Colt, happy times remembered!

9arrow
1st Dec 2006, 16:25
I was privilaged to be at Coltishall in its final hours yesterday. Although never having served in the RAF I, and many spotters like me, will remember Colt with great affection. As a one time member of the Royal Observer Corps I attended a Flying display in 1960 where, not only did I see a fistful of serving Lightnings for the first time, but I took my first ever flight - in a Beverley.

I returned many times in pursuit of my dual hobby of enthusiast and photographer, always to find a welcome from the boys of Norfolk and a comfortable relationship on both sides of the wire fence, beit from aircrew or MP.

A name that for many will be synonymous with Colt will be that of Mick Jennings, who eventually as CRO did so much to include those outside the fence with the goings on inside - beit visitors from ex-Iron Country or just a photo-call to see the Jags at play. Thanks Mick!

To stand on the empty pan and runway yesterday brought so many memories back but also a feeling that SOME bases should never close - they are too much of the heritage of the RAF. Colt is surely one of those.

Norfolk will never be the same.

trap one
1st Dec 2006, 17:10
ORAC
If that happens then I'll k now that the last lights are just about to be turned off. Max making SL was amazing but still at least he knows what the AOC's carpet looks like.
Regards
Trap One

remedial boy
1st Dec 2006, 18:33
A very sad day indeed. I spent 5 years there until Neat closed in 2004. A great Stn which will be sorely missed by all who served there.