PDA

View Full Version : WW2 Airfields of interest in SE

3FallinFlyer
30th Nov 2006, 09:35
Hi all,

I'm taking a polish WW2 enthusiast flying at the weekend, was planning to go to Duxford and North Weald. Does anyone have any suggestions of other airfields that he may find of interest??

Thanks
3FF

Will Hung
30th Nov 2006, 11:18
Westonzoyland was a significant base for Free Polish Fighter squadrons. Long way though, and I'm not sure whether it's used any more as an airfiled.

airborne_artist
30th Nov 2006, 11:23
Tempsford? North of Sandy Beds.

Mad Girl
30th Nov 2006, 12:17
My geography is atrocious... so if this is too far - excuse me.Try Old Sarum at Salisbury - Second oldest airfield in the country.

WW1 I believe - not WW2

cirrus01
30th Nov 2006, 14:34
Chailey in East Sussex
Polish squadrons based there for D Day .
Not much of the airfield left to see but nearby is a memorial to the Polish pilots..........situated at the Pub they had to move when the airfield was constructed.:ok:
http://www.spitfireart.com/chaileyairshow.html

pistongone
30th Nov 2006, 14:53
The Polish War Memorial is right by the A40 in the south east corner of RAF Northolt, actualy is it still an RAF base:confused: You could include that in a visit to Denham.
And of course don't forget Biggin Hill!

3FallinFlyer
1st Dec 2006, 09:04
Thanks for the suggestions - most will have to be flyovers as a lot of the airfields are disused. But its all a good excuse to go flying!! :)

SlipSlider
1st Dec 2006, 09:15
Goodwood is of course still active. As Westhampnett it was a wartime satellite for Tangmere and was the airfield from which Bader left on the flight which resulted in his becoming a PoW; there is a memorial statue of DB.
Slip

Dan Dare
1st Dec 2006, 12:21
Again, not WWII, but if you are in the Duxford area its not much further to the Shuttleworth (http://www.shuttleworth.org/shuttleworth/index.htm)collection at Biggleswade. It really is worth a visit.

Zulu Alpha
1st Dec 2006, 12:40
Weather looks Cr*p for the weekend. You might be driving.

Don't know where you are based but Duxford and Old Warden are great museums. N weald is good if there is any flying but with the weather there may not be any.

If I had to choose then I'd recomend Duxford for walking round the hangars in bad weather, there is so much there. Old Warden is smaller and is at its best when there is flying which makes the whole place come alive.

chevvron
1st Dec 2006, 13:25
If you go to Goodwood, you could take in Tangmere, Merston (south of Chichester) and Ford too. To the west are the remnants of the ALG at Funtington; there's some sort of MOD establishment on part of the old site.

3FallinFlyer
1st Dec 2006, 15:10
Thanks all - weather does look crap for pottering around locally & sightseeing. Reckon I'll be postboning it to another weekend. Goodwood and Tangmere sound good though, I think I'll be heading down there when we get the weather ferrit!

3FF

Miserlou
1st Dec 2006, 17:55
Headcorn has a little museum and is still active. The Tiger Club is another attraction. Send him for a fligth in a Tiger Moth.
Check museum opening times though.