PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else suffer from this?

atyourcervix73
29th Nov 2006, 15:22
It seems every bloody time I get my BP taken by my AME its something like 160/100..which is high and normally outside limits, and yet 15 minutes later using the same BP measuring device..on the same arm...with the same cuff size etc, and its back to 121/72!!
Does anyone know of any strategies or techniques to stop the old rush of adrenalin/fear when the doc wraps the cuff around your bicep?:{

NurseToPilot
29th Nov 2006, 15:42
The only advice I can give on this matter is to perhaps ask your AME to take several readings over the period of 15 - 20 minutes and average them out.

It's obvious that it is a nerve related issue with regards to having it done. Being a nurse myself I have seen this happen and its known in the trade as "white coat syndrome" - where you suddenly develop symptoms that weren't there until the doctor or nurse begins an intervention.

Hope this helps...
JON

dscartwright
29th Nov 2006, 19:41
It seems every bloody time I get my BP taken by my AME its something like 160/100..which is high and normally outside limits, and yet 15 minutes later using the same BP measuring device..on the same arm...with the same cuff size etc, and its back to 121/72!!
Does anyone know of any strategies or techniques to stop the old rush of adrenalin/fear when the doc wraps the cuff around your bicep?:{It's sometimes referred to as "white coat syndrome" - your blood pressure rises significantly when faced with someone (often in a white coat) about to measure it. A relative of mine has this problem - fortunately for him, his wife (a) is a former nurse and (b) knows his GP and so whenever the GP wants a BP reading, the missus does it at home and the GP takes her word for it.
I don't know of a surefire way of avoiding the problem, but leaving the BP measurement until the end of the consultation will generally help, as you'll have been sitting reasonably relaxed for a few minutes, and hopefully may have chatted in a relaxed way for a minute or two with whoever's taking your BP. Oh, and avoiding alcohol the night before can help, as alcohol will raise the BP.
David C

NurseToPilot
29th Nov 2006, 19:47
Try also to avoid any stimulants for at least 24 hours before your consultation with the GP....

Stimulants in this case would include tea, coffee, alcohol and anything that contains caffiene! (all the stuff we like.. i know!)

I find that going for a run also reduces my stress levels before anything of this nature - although i don't know how practical this is for you. Perhaps just going for a brisk walk may help you relax before your appointment.

Having said all this... even I have had the same problem during my Class 2 Medical. Im normally 135/78 BP but when the nurse took it two times during my consultaion it was 165/98 !! and my Pulse was 103 on the ECG!

However she took it again later as well as the pulse and everything had normalised.

Hope this helps

JON

BOAC
29th Nov 2006, 21:06
My problem used to be when an ample-bosomed nurse clamped my arm in her armpit while she wrapped the cuff around my arm. Took more than 15 minutes..............................:)

NurseToPilot
29th Nov 2006, 21:14
LOL! - Just make sure its NOT a female nurse then....

Im a nurse but I'm sure your BP and Heart Rate wud be BELOW limits if I took ur readings!!!

HEHE

JON

Old Smokey
30th Nov 2006, 00:41
My problem used to be when an ample-bosomed nurse clamped my arm in her armpit while she wrapped the cuff around my arm. Took more than 15 minutes..............................:)

At my age BOAC, it takes more than 15 minutes for the nurse's ample bosoms to have any effect:( The effect seems to 'kick in' just as I'm leaving the clinic:E

Regards,

Old (Very Old) Smokey

Zoner
30th Nov 2006, 01:02
Smokey; if there is one part the exam you dislike get it out the way before letting them take the pressure readings. My flight surgeon still does the finger wave :ugh: which I dread. My BP was high every time. A while back I asked him to do the wave first and guess what? My BP was normal! I still try and talk him out of it (he doesn't buy the one way check valve theory) so he does the wave first and my BP is normal after. Blood Pressure tends to be lower in the afternoon than the morning. Good luck.

Loose rivets
30th Nov 2006, 03:34
What would happen if you put some nitroglycerine under your tongue before the exam?

Just wondered:hmm:

Mac the Knife
30th Nov 2006, 12:48
What would happen if you put some nitroglycerine under your tongue before the exam?

You'd get a headache :ouch:

NurseToPilot
30th Nov 2006, 15:28

Just wondered:hmm:

U'd explode!

Correct me if I'm wrong but were you thinking glyceryl trinitrate instead? AKA GTN Spray that angina sufferers use?

Even that could have ill effects if you're otherwise fit and healthy - by possibly causing your BP to fall to your boots... thus rendeing you BELOW the limit!

JON

kala87
1st Dec 2006, 09:30
This problem happened to me yesterday when I renewed my medical. Two days before I'd had my BP measured at my GP's surgery by the nurse (amply proportioned everywhere!!) which gave a reading of 128/75.

Yesterday, the AME clamped the cuff round my arm and I could physically feel myself tensing up. The result was a BP of 155/80.Technically, the upper reading was above limits, but I explained the lower readings recorded two days before, and the Doc. passed me! I guess the AME can always check my story by phoning my GP's surgery if he feels minded to.