PDA

View Full Version : CHC takeover of SAR?

chopperpilot13
29th Nov 2006, 02:48
I am new to the helicopter industry and last night I read a story about a Canadian company that may take over Australia's Search and rescue duties. As an Australian I would rather see this done by an Australian company but wouldn't there be many advantages to this overseas company doing it?

I looked at CHC's web-site and it seems to me that they are a huge , well established company that looks to have more experience in this area than any company here. Also wouldn't a large multi national company pay better wages than most of the companies here? As well as flying newer, better equiped helicopters?

Just a thought......

ppheli
29th Nov 2006, 05:22
Irrespective of who is bidding, you need to remember two things

the world is a global economy, so the fact that a non-Australian company is bidding should be no problem (the Canadians have owned an Australian based operator - Lloyd - for years anyway)
whatever organisation is organising the tender will determine some way (ie. some combination of quality, price, safety, politics, nationality, etc, etc) of deciding which bid wins over the others. Sometimes other forces are at work - there were major issues in the EC some while back when the Italian Police did not go out to tender on buying new helicopters, thinking they could just order from their local supplier AgustaWestland - politics there ensured that other companies must be able to bid on future tenders

Your posting just reminded me of all the :mad: that the Americans came out with when Eurocopter won the LUH contract, when AgustaWestland won the VXX contract and so on (and in those cases the contracts even required those manufacturers to build the said helicopters in the US!). Recent US tenders (eg. LUH and CSAR-X) have now reached a point where you can almost guarantee that the losers will then take the organisation issuing the tender to court to complain about the way the tender was run.

hot_spud
1st Dec 2006, 23:41
I am a brit flying Seaking Yellow SAR in the UK. My father lives in Perth now and I wonder if anyone knows what I would need to do to get a job with CHC in Australia?
Are there any gotchas??

movin' up
2nd Dec 2006, 00:14
Two arms, two legs and a pulse. (And they're not too fussy about the arms and legs:p )

Here's the email address required.

[email protected] ([email protected])

hot_spud
3rd Dec 2006, 11:54
Thanks for that, just at embryonic stages - I have just reached 1500 seaking hrs so maybe give it another 3 years before I have 2500!! Watch this space!!

pohm1
3rd Dec 2006, 20:59
Hot Spud

Check your PMs

P1

doris day
23rd Dec 2006, 23:22
Coming from yellow, how do you rate working for CHC SAR be it Ireland, Australia or wherever ? Feel a move coming on very soon.

SMOUFW
24th Dec 2006, 20:09
Chopperpilot 13

i can tell you are new here. If you go to page two of the forum you'll see about 170 postings and 20000 views on this topic.(NSW EMS(NGO or private operator). This is a hot topic in Oz at the moment. You could probably get a few more replies if you put your original post there.

Merry Xmas.

SMO