PDA

View Full Version : Question for BA Cabin Crew

airsmiles
28th Nov 2006, 21:49
Could anyone tell me what the BA policy is on handling deaf passengers during the check-in, gate handling process and during the flight? I have a severe hearing problem and wear one hearing aid (I can't hear anything on the other side). It's bad enough at the check-in and gate, what with the background noise and unclear announcements, but on the aircraft communciation is extremely difficult due to the engine and airflow noise.
I travel long-haul 2 or 3 times a year, but there doesn't seem to be anyway of conveying my difficulties in coping to the check-in staff/gate staff/cabin crew involved. When I book I make a point of advising the agent that communication is very difficult but the message doesn't seem to find its way to the people who matter. If I mention it to the check-in staff, they say they put a note on the booking/boarding record or whatever, but the gate staff don't seem to get the message. The same applies to the gate staff passing on my circumstances to the cabin crew. When I get on the aircraft, no one seems to be aware of any note. If I say anything to the first cabin crew I meet, the message doesn't always seem to be passed on to the particular cabin crew who cover my section of the cabin!
I've also spoken to the Exec Club and the medical department about my hearing and communication problems, but it seems as if I have to tell the same story to everyone I deal with at each stage of the process AND for every flight I make!
I'm not asking for any particular favours as I normally travel Club World anyway and the service is generally very good. I would just like my booking marked ONCE with a genuine appeal for understanding and assistance as I pass through the check-in, the gate and especially on the aircraft. Better still, is there a way of having my Exec Club profile flagged in some way to indicate I have a medical problem and can't communicate well. Hopefully this could then be transferred to any booking I make.
I mention this only because I'm doing another USA tour on Sunday and it would be very reassuring to avoid the normal hassle of long-haul flying by solving this problem once and for all. After all, 8-10 hours without proper conversation and understanding is pretty lonely! Surely there is some way around the BA system.
Sorry, rant over and apologies to the moderator if this is the wrong forum. It is a valid point to cabin crew of all airlines though.
Many thanks
airsmiles :{

Patolucas
29th Nov 2006, 01:42
Hi Airsmiles,

I'm BA crew and we do offer assistance to hearing impaired passengers, I've done it myself many times.

Here you can find more details about it.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/additionalneeds/public/en_gb

Unfortunately I'm not going states side next Sunday, otherwise it would have been a pleasure to assist you.

airsmiles
29th Nov 2006, 15:28
Yes, I've seen that information but it's the 'human interface' aspects that are the biggest problem and also the hardest to resolve. Those web pages only cover the problems on the aircraft and not the check-in and gate.

Thanks anyway.

airsmiles

apaddyinuk
6th Dec 2006, 17:56
Hi Airsmiles, Hope your trip is going well.

Perhaps slightly unPC but the airlines when advised of a passenger with hearing difficulties usually put the term "DEAF" or "HOH" into the customers booking so when one checks in it will flag up next to the name.

Now the individuals dealing with you at check in will see it if they dont immediately realise when they first speak to you and should deal with you appropriately. However if you are looking for special assistance to get to the gate and off the aircraft then a wheelchair needs to be requested as BA no longer provides MAAS services (meet and assist) as it was being abused by over 90% of users as a free porter service.

However if you can make it to the gate yourself you cannot assume that the gate staff will be actively looking out for you because they have a lot to do. What I would recommend is just letting the gate staff know who you are and tell them where you will be sitting and if one of them could give you a little nod when its time to board. If you have ordered a wheelchair however this will already be done for you by the porter who brings you down. Dont worry too much about announcements as all the info you should need will be on the Information screens which I recommend you check regularly. If by the off chance you have not boarded near the end cos you lost track of time, the gate staff will be able to see from the comment next to your name and realise that you are hard of hearing. Hopefully they will send someone off to hunt for you but understandably...airports are big places and this may prove impossible.

When onboard the aircraft (especially if you are in Club) you are generally served by the same crew members. Most crew do make the effort to check the passenger list although sometimes when its hectic its just not possible to memorise the hundreds of comments that appear on it. The "DEAF" or "HOH" comment will be beside your name and if the purser is on the ball then he/she will make the effort to tell all the crew in your cabin. However do not be afraid on first contact with the crew member working your area to let him/her know, its not always easy for us to know straight away and often we need your assistance in order to assist you.

If something is wrong such as delays in the airports or something onboard and you cant make out the announcements please PLEASE do not hesitate to contact a staff/crew member, they will help you as best they can.

I hope that helps and I hope your trip was enjoyable...also hope you did plenty of crimbo shopping!

Hope to meet you on one of my flights in the future.

Best Regards!