PDA

View Full Version : Neighbours from hell

whirlydude
28th Nov 2006, 20:10
Anybody see neighbours from hell i think it was on ITV2 tonight . Very interesting story about a village up in arms over one of there neighbours who just happen to own and operate a Hughes 500c from his house . Local council and the caa could not stop him but made him take down his inflatable hanger . Some nice shots of him flying in and out of his land :) .

Gordy
28th Nov 2006, 20:49
see here I think
Thread about neighbor (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=135513&highlight=neighbor)

nouseforaname
29th Nov 2006, 17:46
i've just got a helo and keep it at my house. Just got the planning for my new shed to keep it in. I have not had a complaint about the helo yet but I have a feeling that there might be one in the post...

Funnily enough i've got a Hughes 500c aswell. Problem I think I will have is the local shoot that operate in the fields/forests all around me. They will likely complain i'm scaring thier pheasants!

Maybe i will be the next neighbour from hell!

i4iq
29th Nov 2006, 18:13
Theres a local shoot in London?!:eek:

Heliport
29th Nov 2006, 19:48
Maybe i will be the next neighbour from hell! I suppose it might depend on how considerate a neighbour you are. In particular, whether you respect country life and traditions or (as I'm sure you're not) are the 'townie who's made some money' type, the sort who want a place in the country but don't respect the way of life or the feelings of those who do.

They will likely complain i'm scaring thier pheasants!
Unless I'm misreading, you give the impression you think such a complaint would be silly and unreasonable.
If so, it doesn't sound promising.
Don't you think your helicopter will scare the pheasant?

By next year, they can move any pens near your house to somewhere else, but it's too late for this year.
For this year, flying on shoot days or the day before would be inconsiderate, and likely to make you enemies.

H.

IntheTin
29th Nov 2006, 20:28
He will however, be a really good mate to the pheasants...:ok:

Colonal Mustard
29th Nov 2006, 20:32
Tip... Offer a short trip for your immediate neighbours as soon as you can...(particularly your likely routes in and out) as a gift if you like, spend a little money on some food and tea/coffee and invite them round for an afternoon, some will refuse on principle but you`ll ,make friends in the most strangest of places, and they`ll be your most ardent supporters if you get a complaint.... if you think beyond that you will also get to hear about trouble before it lands on your doorstep, courtesy of the local Jungle telegraph... dont alienate your neighbours by remaining hidden....only for them to hear you leaving whenever you go flying.:ok:

Toohey29
29th Nov 2006, 21:24
Funnily enough i've got a Hughes 500c aswell. Problem I think I will have is the local shoot that operate in the fields/forests all around me. They will likely complain i'm scaring thier pheasants!

Maybe i will be the next neighbour from hell!

my advice having worked very closely in the past with shoots would be to search out the local gamekeeper in particular and talk to him about the pheasants - he may even ask you to approach you "LZ" in a certain way so as to aid the shoot! by moving the pheasants to a more approriate area for him .... this leads to a substantial PR plus as he will come into contact with a lot of local landowners etc on shoot days and word of mouth will soon get around of your help.

toohey :ok:

Gaseous
29th Nov 2006, 21:51
I live in the middle of a shoot. I have never had any problems from the gamekeeper. I have seen birds fall while I'm flying back to my LZ. I just hope some idiot with a gun doesn't take a pot shot at me.:uhoh:

Pheasants take no notice of the helicopter unless you fly over them. Then they run away. I keep in a high hover taxi when there are birds around. Never really a problem.

Edit: By the way, When theres a shoot on the place is crawling with police, shooters,'Antis' and occasionally reporters. Best remain impartial on the morals of shooting. Thats an issue you and your helicopter really don't want to be mixed up in. Your airmanship has to be pretty good too so you dont wind any of the interested parties up. I have landed to find nine police officers at my gate watching. (including 2 on horses!!)

'Oh s***' thought I. It turned out they were just bored and they were very friendly fortunately. No Anti's about that day.

Flying Lawyer
29th Nov 2006, 22:22
InTheTin

Which would you rather be - a pheasant or a turkey?

Both are fed, watered and protected throughout the year.
One may be killed during the shooting season; the other will be killed at Christmas. (Or, given your location, Thanksgiving.) :)

(Edit)

Gaseous I have seen birds fall while I'm flying back to my LZ.Pheasant tend to take no notice of extraneous noise if it's in the middle of a drive because the beaters are already making a noise to try to make them fly and the guns are shooting. If there's a loud/unusual noise near them before a drive begins, there's a very good chance they'll fly off to another wood. Not far away but, sod's law, it's usually on someone else's land (if near the boundary) or to where the shoot has already been. Result: the guns and beaters arrive and there are either no birds or a much reduced number.
When keepers go round checking where most of the birds are early on the morning of a shoot, they do it quietly. I've been on shoots where what would have been a good drive has been ruined because some idiots on noisy quadbikes have ridden through earlier in the morning and spooked the birds.
Duck tend to circle around at height (if they were on a lake), and land again very quickly after the noise has gone; pheasant tend to land somewhere else and come back later, if they come back at all. If they find plenty of feed somewhere else, they may not.

Your "LZ"
How smart. ;)

nouseforaname

If you don't want stir up your neighbours, study Mr Griffin's approach very carefully - and do the opposite.
(Read the link.)

FL

B Sousa
29th Nov 2006, 23:06
"the other will be killed at Christmas."

In reference to Turkeys, it should state the other will become a politician and live happily ever after on the Pheasant Hunters fees.

nouseforaname
30th Nov 2006, 14:47
Heliport you are absolutely right. The Pheasants are going to be scared of the helicopter, the route to my LZ is over the fields and side of a forest because this avoids all the houses. I've known the gamekeeper since I was about 5, I should get in contact with him really and just ask him what day's would be better if I wasn't around. It's not always completely necessary I fly the helo. I'd rather keep in with the neighbours to be honest. I actually had a shoot at my old farm, might even convince the game keeper to come for a spin!

Luckily because of where I am the only time people will hear me is on appch to my LZ, when i've landed the noise is sheltered by the house, farm buildings and surrounding trees.

Gaseous
30th Nov 2006, 16:34
FL, My LZ = 9ft square of concrete by my shed. Not so smart.

I have seen birds fall because they have been shot. The presence of a large ugly helicopter is not sufficient to stop some of the guns. Unfortunately as one approaches, one cannot usually tell if a shoot is on. They no longer publish a programme of shoots as it attracts the antis. The keeper has told me that my flying is not a problem for him.

I have taken the gamekeepers wife and grandchildren flying as well as virtually all the neighbours. I have never had any complaints or problems in over 1000 flights from this site.

muffin
30th Nov 2006, 19:21
My immediate neighbours are cows rather than pheasants, although there are pheasants everywhere in the locality. I find that generally, brown and white cows take no notice whatsoever, whereas black and white ones get very excited and run about for the first couple of flights then get used to it after that. As the black and white ones share my hangar in the winter, I have to keep on good terms with them.