PDA

View Full Version : Low KC-135

Dr Illitout
28th Nov 2006, 10:10
Can't repeat what I said when I saw this!!! ( Just read the PPRUNE rules)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xoprb_amateur-davion

Rgds Dr I

228 OCU
28th Nov 2006, 10:23
There is only one thing I can say.
That chap is a :mad: :mad: !

Runaway Gun
28th Nov 2006, 11:04
How did the PIC get away with it?

I must figure out exactly how much laxatives I need to add to the rest of the crew's meals, in order to make them all run to the toilet at the same time...

The Gorilla
28th Nov 2006, 11:26
It's a pilot thing! In eight years I had to stop three seperate E3D pilots from trying to do the same. Children and playtime springs to mind, still it looked good none the less.
:eek:

GPMG
28th Nov 2006, 11:37
To be honest I think the pilot should have his wings taken away.

If he does it with nobody else on board then good effort, bit of barnstorming, bit of balls, sod the taxpayer, don't get caught etc.

But to do it with other people on board bang out of order.

hobie
28th Nov 2006, 11:43
and here are the guys following him, looking for a top-up .... :)

http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/search/low%20flying/video/xjjf_extremely-low-flying

StopStart
28th Nov 2006, 12:12
Sweet work! That's what flying's all about!

:}

GPMG
28th Nov 2006, 12:13
Flaps down?? Doesnt look like it.
Gear down?? No
Landing approach?? Hope not.
Takeoff?? Flaps and gear up at that height?? Doubt it.

Showing off??? Likely

Berk

Argonautical
28th Nov 2006, 12:14
Here's another one. Wonder what his Nav thought about it!

http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/andreasmd13/1159/

brickhistory
28th Nov 2006, 12:27
F*ck me! Balls of brass, brains of concrete!

Are the French doing air to ground refuelings now? How long would it take to top off a LeClerc or whatever the crunchies are driving now?

It's a pilot thing! In eight years I had to stop three seperate E3D pilots from trying to do the same. Children and playtime springs to mind, still it looked good none the less.
:eek:

While I've always had 'D' envy as compared to the anemic TF-33s of the USAF, I am now glad that none of my bus drivers ever spoke of doing that! (Thought of it probably.....)

rab-k
28th Nov 2006, 13:31
Wonder how many careers will be brought to an end through the advent of the 'on-line video'?

The driver had better not have pi$$ed off any of his back seat pax, else the date/time/location might accompany this clip when it lands on the desk of his boss - who will no doubt greet him with a rather terse "Expliquer ceci à moi!" :\

Jackonicko
28th Nov 2006, 14:00
What are the jets in Hobie's link?

RETDPI
28th Nov 2006, 14:22
On the ground: Mirage 2000's
Close to the ground: Alpha Jets

Flap62
28th Nov 2006, 14:25
Is it downloadable? Right clicking and save as only saves link, not file for me.

rab-k
28th Nov 2006, 16:02

Belgian AF Alpha Jets & French AF Mirage 2000, Solenzara AB, Corsica.

SAR Bloke
28th Nov 2006, 16:11
Nobody knows where it happened or how.

I have been told (and I am not saying it is true) that it was near Moussoro in Chad.

Razor61
28th Nov 2006, 16:16
I have been told (and I am not saying it is true) that it was near Moussoro in Chad.

Same place as the Mirage F1 video then of them taking off in unbelievable fashion and nearly failing.... then showing them going low following a dirt road in Chad. In the end they top off with fuel from a French KC135F

splitbrain
28th Nov 2006, 17:40
Ughhh,

Thats how we end up with this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7aLEKBlhNk

The clips in the middle show what the guy got up to before this tragedy. :mad:

wg13_dummy
28th Nov 2006, 20:00
Ughhh,
Thats how we end up with this....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7aLEKBlhNk
The clips in the middle show what the guy got up to before this tragedy. :mad:

I was just about to mention Holland, the cowboy B52 chap.

It's all fun and games until the BoI and the funerals.

Two's in
28th Nov 2006, 22:35
These clips should be a mandatory part of every met brief on at least a monthly basis, then the "what harm could it do, brigade?" might begin to get a reality check. Even before the funerals it is criminal negligence, plain and simple.

Uncle Ginsters
28th Nov 2006, 23:15
Hmmmm, wonder what his auth'd MSD was?
Could it possibly be some kind of Tesseral departure or trg for it? Without too many details, clearly.
Or just another Rogue Aviator in the making??? (Holland B-52 case study) (http://www.crm-devel.org/resources/paper/darkblue/darkblue.htm)
Uncle G

vecvechookattack
28th Nov 2006, 23:32
The F3 video reminds me of what happens each week on a Thursday morning just south of Plymouth. If the Hawks are above the hanger door then they are not trying hard enough.

ChristopherRobin
29th Nov 2006, 17:32
good article on Bud Holland here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bud_Holland)

hobie
29th Nov 2006, 18:13
Uncle Ginsters and ChristopherRobin's links provide very sober reading and for me, throw a very different light on the subject .... :hmm:

*Zwitter*
29th Nov 2006, 19:09
Wonder how many careers will be brought to an end through the advent of the 'on-line video'?
:\

maybe the era of the advent of the 'on-line video' will lead to an international game of 'beat that'...

To paraphrase a previous thread: is that a shadow underneath the KC135 or a certain much-missed Mr Hanna? ;)

pontifex
29th Nov 2006, 19:46
Similar situation back in the 60s but with a new Mk II Victor. Chap had the same name too.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
30th Nov 2006, 01:04
I might question its authenticity. There's just something about the way it moves that's a little jerky like it sems to move sideways early on. And how come there's no sand getting kicked up?

I checked the shadows and they seem to match, though if you pause it at 00:00:04 the viewer is directly between the a/c and the sun, yet some of the bushes don't seem to quite line up.

Dunno really.

Runaway Gun
30th Nov 2006, 07:51
And Neil Armstrong in the background placing that flag in the sand next to that moon buggy....

Who would go to all that trouble to fake such a clip? It'd be easier to just pay the pilot !!

Navaleye
30th Nov 2006, 08:33
Its real. I enjoyed it, it was obviously planned and well done.

hobie
30th Nov 2006, 20:34
I came across a video tonight showing the full B-52 incident from the GA to Stall and then impact .....

http://www.1001crash.com/telechvideo-video-B52_fc-lg-2.html

(hit Link to download)

Pontius Navigator
30th Nov 2006, 20:45
It almost looked like controlled flight into the ground. Having read the case study and now seen the video I wonder whether this was possibly even deliberate?

The downwind approach seemed to be slow with lots of rudder to keep the nose up. But then I am not a stick and rudder monkey.

brickhistory
30th Nov 2006, 20:51
What is the difference in the references to the B-52 crash, and posting links, and the angst expressed about the Glenview Vulcan crash and sparing of families?

I will freely admit I know little of the Glenview crash and the reasons for it nor am I asking for anyone to divulge them here. However, the concern expressed for the Vulcan crew's families is mentioned, yet this BUFF crash is fair game?

hobie
30th Nov 2006, 21:50
I will freely admit I know little of the Glenview crash and the reasons for it

Brick .... my link to the B-52 incident really needs to be viewed in parallel with Uncle Ginsters and ChristopherRobin's links above ......

I have to confess I've always been impressed by Videos like the KC-135 and for example the French Video "Extreme altitude is prohibited" as examples of of extreme airmanship/ability but I think this thread has indicated to me how another view may apply ......

I personally find the B-52 incident desperately sad in particular because of the loss of such experienced and senior airmen ..... I recognise that lessons from it have to be learned .....

brickhistory
30th Nov 2006, 22:05
hobie, thanks. My question was not criticism of anyone. Simply asking if the same standards apply. If so, then no worries. And if not, then it's my problem.......

Along the same lines of 'same standards,' it could be asked as to why we find a FJ doing extreme low level cool (and it is!) and yet we wag our fingers when a heavy does it? (Although in an earlier post, I said it was 'cool.' And it is!)

Always a Sapper
30th Nov 2006, 23:29
hobie, thanks. My question was not criticism of anyone. Simply asking if the same standards apply. If so, then no worries. And if not, then it's my problem.......
Along the same lines of 'same standards,' it could be asked as to why we find a FJ doing extreme low level cool (and it is!) and yet we wag our fingers when a heavy does it? (Although in an earlier post, I said it was 'cool.' And it is!)
Simple really, the FJ jock is probably on his own and if he decides to plough up a field then it's his fault.... The heavy driver and FJ with a backseater has his crew along for the ride and the responsibilities that go with that.... don’t suppose for one second they want to go bouncing across a field even if the driver does.
Cool it may be, and to be honest the vid's are, it ain't cool when it goes wrong.

wingnut135
2nd Dec 2006, 02:27
that being that low and that fast in a -135 might be a bit extreme and bit unnerving, partculary when you consider how little yoke movement it takes to drop a few feet at that speed. Unwise in my cosidered (and 2900 hrs. of -135 time) opinon

PPRuNeUser0211
2nd Dec 2006, 09:15
Hehe we've made it into flight!

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/2006/12/01/Navigation/177/210889/Video+Confusion+over+location+of+KC-135+tanker+flight+over+desert+at+10ft.html

"A video clip posted on a French video sharing site of a Boeing KC-135 tanker flying at around 10ft (3m) altitude over a patch of desert has caused confusion over the location of its filming (below).

The clip, uploaded by user James93 at the Amateur Aviation section of Dailymotion.com puports to show a desert in France on 22 November 2006, with a Stratotanker flying at levels so low, it has attracted sever criticism on aviation enthusiast web forums.

However, metropolitan France has no true deserts, although the French air force has test facilities in the island of Corsica, North Africa and Dijbouti."

Well done folks, we're all famous!

Runaway Gun
2nd Dec 2006, 09:24
Hey Wingnut, I thought at THAT height you could pretty much push forward on the control column and the 'bow wave' would prevent the nose kicking in :\

Well that's the theory anway. It's got me bewildered how anyone ever discovered that on other types (generally smaller jets). Seriously, what would make someone even try that? A bad day on the JPA computer system?

Cornish Jack
2nd Dec 2006, 10:28
Nothing very new here.
'Rogue Aviators' are with us today as they always have been. They continue to threaten the lives of others, as well as themselves, because of the enthusiasm of their peers (as demonstrated in the preceding posts) for this particularly stupid indulgence in the 'Look at ME' culture. It is the aviation equivalence of the juvenile toerags who destroy lives in 'joyride' thefts. It demonstrates the same level of maturity and has the same social value. Why am I so violently anti? Not too difficult to understand when you have had to recover your predecessor's flying kit from the remains of the crash which killed him and two other souls. The 'accident' was the last of a sequence of 'events' which mirrored those of the B52 'Ace of the Base' having been repeated over the previous years and gone unreported by his squadron 'mates' "because he was such a good pilot". There will be those of you out there who will be aware of just this set of circumstances in respect of one (or more) of your colleagues. Will you have the guts (moral and otherwise) to 'whistle blow' or will you wait for the (inevitable) final act and THEN wring your hands? From experience, it's not difficult to work out the answer!!

chuks
2nd Dec 2006, 11:44
I don't know what it had to do with anything in particular but we were shown an F14 carrier flypast with the thing in high-speed mode during the Aerodynamics phase of our ATPL ground school. As it came abeam the boat the pilot racked it over into a 90° bank, when it disintegrated. Cue big ball of flame and little bits of airplane falling out of same. We were told it was a celebration of the end of the pilot's cruise. Well, yes!

I always get that sinking feeling when I hear, 'Hey! Watch this!'

Dr Dorian
2nd Dec 2006, 12:07
I don't know what it had to do with anything in particular but we were shown an F14 carrier flypast with the thing in high-speed mode during the Aerodynamics phase of our ATPL ground school. As it came abeam the boat the pilot racked it over into a 90° bank, when it disintegrated. Cue big ball of flame and little bits of airplane falling out of same. We were told it was a celebration of the end of the pilot's cruise. Well, yes!

I always get that sinking feeling when I hear, 'Hey! Watch this!'

Is this the Video ?? ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDd6uXiNFgs

If it is the information we had was that it was due to a failure in the afterburner lining which affected the F14B and D Models with the new GE engines, this caused the rear end of the jet to disentigrate with obvious results.

Link Below.

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/VA-news/VA-Pilot/issues/1996/vp960330/03300269.htm

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
2nd Dec 2006, 12:56
It almost looked like controlled flight into the ground. Having read the case study and now seen the video I wonder whether this was possibly even deliberate?
I have seen a remarkably similar video of an RC B52 doing exactly the same thing.

Brian Abraham
2nd Dec 2006, 13:49
Bob Hammond just after the air show planning briefing "I can't believe that the Air Force is so stupid that they are going to let me fly my last mission of my career at an air show."
Major Terry Makon, nurse manager in emergency services, to coworker at the air show briefing "I just hope he crashes on Friday, not Sunday, so I will not have so many bodies to pick up." "The Rouge Pilot", Tony Kern

chuks - if its the video I think it is it was the result of an engine disintegrating.

brickhistory
2nd Dec 2006, 13:59
"The Rouge Pilot", Tony Kern

Freudian slip with "The Rouge Pilot" in reference to a Cold War, 'SAC-trained killer?' :}

Brian Abraham
2nd Dec 2006, 14:31
Freudian slip???? Nah, just the finger quicker than the brain Brick. And lack of proof reading.

Pontius Navigator
2nd Dec 2006, 14:44
Brick please see PM.

STOL76
2nd Dec 2006, 20:24
Hello all, I must say that I'm kind of dissapointed in the fact that nobody picked up on the fact that there's no dust, nor trees moving from the jet exhaust.

This is CLEARLY computer generated graphics. (CGI) albiet, a good one, it's fake as fake can be.

There's a bunch of animation students/enthusiasts who post videos' such as this and various other "shock" videos and get thier kicks from the reactions on various websites by "fooling" so called experts...for example;

Bus dodging; LINK (http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=84ba826f91326af0e005ca5e398cdec9.539446)

getting hit by a car *Graphic, but fake* LINK (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4585256853904385839)

US attacks the UK; LINK (http://www.funny-games.biz/videos/439-usattacksuk.html)

etc. etc...Search "fake CGI videos" on google and you'll find hundreds of such examples. You're being laughed at on several websites for being so guilible.

Think what you like, contact any authorities you'd like, but both the videos of low level passings (the three "mirages" or French military jets and the KC-135) are fake.

Cheers!! :)

buoy15
2nd Dec 2006, 21:52
Pontius
Yes - I read the case study also - looked like a classic clean stall on the video - which smacks of shocking flying and poor airmanship - at that height, no amount of rudder, elevator, aileron or power was going to save them - the only authority they had was the flying pilot, and he pigged it
Mmmmm!!:E

BenThere
3rd Dec 2006, 00:23
In terms of pushing the envelope, the KC-135 maneuver in the video was routine, while the B-52 crash was the result of flying at and, unfortunately, beyond the margin.

The tanker was doing a "landing attitude demo" variation, a maneuver taught at instructor pilot school, albeit with gear down, along with 90 degree bank refueling with a B-52 on the boom, and used to show new pilots the visual landing cues. It was no big deal, although visually impressive.

Another cool variation of the landing attitude demo is the "elephant walk", in which reducing and adding thrust alternately on outboard engines causes the left and right main gear trucks to touch and rise, seeming to walk down the runway. With a little practise you can get five or six steps on a 10,000' strip. This maneuver, too, is routine.

LeCrazyFrog
3rd Dec 2006, 09:51
STOL, I know for a fact that the KC drivers have been identified by the FAF and that they are getting their :mad: reammed (without using computer graphics).

As far as I know and following a C235 crash in South of France a few years ago, they (the FAF) is going to adopt a policy of examining every black box to try to prevent these "low flying jollies".