PDA

View Full Version : Autorotation vid on Youtube

g-mady
28th Nov 2006, 08:51
Hope this link works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAGKM9xZyRg

Dont want to sound too saftey concious but 2 issues with this...

1. The camera outside the R22 - Falls out his hand straight into the tail rotor.
2. He pulls in the power at the bottom of the auto above a river!

cmon! Crazy!

MADY

havoc
28th Nov 2006, 10:55
The comments posted below the videos says it all. Also maybe this guy should not have filmed the N number,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBHpMtyZ8IU&mode=related&search=

rotornut
28th Nov 2006, 14:08
Also, guess he's never heard of wires - they can bite!

CyclicRick
28th Nov 2006, 16:44
That's the first time I've heard a rocket powered Robbo, must be on the experimental catagory. :ok:

crispy69
28th Nov 2006, 18:55
If that was a auto where was the flare at the bottom of it??

diethelm
29th Nov 2006, 14:49
The proud owner of the Robinson N221LE seen in the second video.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNumSQL.asp?NNumbertxt=221LE&cmndfind.x=23&cmndfind.y=8

IntheTin
29th Nov 2006, 19:16
If that was a auto where was the flare at the bottom of it??
Do you need to flare to qualify as an auto!! :cool:

rotorrookie
29th Nov 2006, 20:10
And now both vid are gone.... and what was the crime in that video??
And are u guy's all saints? don't think so..

Twiddle
29th Nov 2006, 20:16
You guys have no idea how well the guy knows that area, the experience of the guy flying from the left seat etc.

I wish I were as saintly as you...

crispy69
29th Nov 2006, 23:06
In the tin

Your right if the needles are split its an auto.

Without the flare the run on might "run" into a few difficuties though:ouch:

IntheTin
29th Nov 2006, 23:15
On the vid it would have been rather fun to watch as they touched down on the water. Definitely :ouch: :ouch:

Hughesy
30th Nov 2006, 03:39
Did anyone manage to download this video, and if so could they post it?
Also what IAS they were doing in the auto would relate to wether or not a flare would be required.
i.e MROD auto (night config) you would just pull collective at bottom, other wise a flare would have no effect other then increase in ROD, so you wouldnt benefit.

Still would have liked to have seen this video though.

Hughesy

havoc
30th Nov 2006, 04:06
And now both vid are gone.... and what was the crime in that video??
And are u guy's all saints? don't think so..
1) Guilt by association..the dumba$$ crashes and its a poor mark on all pilots.
2) Seen too many accidents that the dumba$$ is dead but the family is left with a big "WHY". And I do have friends on this list.
3) Doing what is right, even when no one else is watching is not an easy lesson for some to learn.
4) If its their ship, more power to them, fly the way they want.
Maybe no crime was committed, posting it on the web leaves you open to comment in this case other pilots. Hangar flying is a great way to learn from others experiences and the comments here are by no way brutal.
Maybe you need to ask them why they pulled it.

g-mady
30th Nov 2006, 11:03
ok this post is getting out of hand,

And yes nobody is a saint but you still have to be careful in life and improve your odds,

eg by not attempting a flare recovery over a river!

MADY

crispy69
30th Nov 2006, 21:03
Hughesy

It was hard to tell looked like about 80kts no less than 70 anyway certainly enough to need a flare.
I dont think he was doing practice auto more a fast descent into a valley and once at bottom continuing to fly down a river (needles may have been split) as opposed to an auto you would practice to walk away from.

In the comments it was interesting to see he had stated while low level over the river it was ok as he was not in deadmans curve. He might not have been in area a but was certainly in area b. I wounder if he is familar with that area.

I agree with some of the prevous comments that he may have known the area therefore been awear of wire etc. He may have not been in immediate danger but there is no argueing that if the donkey quit he would have been f@#^&d His call I guess

:\ .