PDA

View Full Version : Digital TV

paulc
28th Nov 2006, 07:04
This is not really a computer issue but somebody might have some ideas (mods if not appropriate for this forum then please delete)

Problems started over the weekend with 2 digi boxs + main tv (built in digibox). The digital channels keep dropping off line. As of last night my tv via digibox can only get bbc1/2/3/4 + UKtv history + sky3 - all others (inc ITV) have gone awol. ITV + Ch4 ok when not using digibox.
Main tv gets all bar Ch5 & any radio station.
2nd tv with digibox - same as first.

Have tried powering down then setting up again - this worked on Sunday AM but failed again Sunday PM.

Could it be an aerial problem ? (unlikely as all feed from common aerial) or just weather related.

BOAC
28th Nov 2006, 07:21
Go to one of the 'freeview' web sites and follow the links to 'transmitter information' in case there was work?

frostbite
28th Nov 2006, 11:42
It's a strange setup. I live in an officially non-freeview area.

On my Anglia aerial. I get a decent signal from the BBC channels which really just adds BBC3 to my list.

On the London aerial, the BBC channels are all unwatchable, but I get ITV 1-4, and all the C4 output.

ORAC
28th Nov 2006, 12:18
I live in an non-freeview area, according to the website. I also live in a hollow with no mobile phone reception.

I bought a new plasma with a built in digital tuner, which tuned automatically when switched on for the first time. Perfect reception on all channels.

Go figure.

airborne_artist
28th Nov 2006, 12:25
Orac - my guess is that they do the propagation forecast and err on the side of caution. They will assume antenna hight of X (and then take of 25%), and they'll set other variables at the low end of things. You may have a higher antenna, or benefit from positive local conditions that can not be assumed.

Keef
28th Nov 2006, 15:05
If some channels are OK and some aren't, then it sounds like a transmitter is off-air. Wait and see what happens in a day or two.

They do tend to err on the side of safety with the "where is digital TV available?" The website tells me I can get excellent digital TV - all I need is a satellite antenna. No thank you!

frostbite
28th Nov 2006, 16:59
The website tells me I can get excellent digital TV - all I need is a satellite antenna. No thank you!

Surely, just a Freeview digibox?

paulc
30th Nov 2006, 09:34
all channels back and working now. Have no idea why though - maybe just a dry couple of days.

Thanks for the replies though.

frostbite
30th Nov 2006, 11:45
Wonder if anyone can suggest a reason for my rather odd experience?

Recently switched from my Anglia to London aerial. Gained all the ITV and C4 freeview channels, but lost all the BBC ones, although they're still listed on the menu.

If I select any of the BBC it's like they're off-tune - they're there but picture is broken into diagonal bands.

Only thing I can think of is, TV is VCR combi and I wonder if the modulator for the VCR is on a close frequency to the beeb channels which are lower frequency than the Anglia ones?

Oceanz
30th Nov 2006, 12:02
If I select any of the BBC it's like they're off-tune - they're there but picture is broken into diagonal bands.

Definitely diagonal and not horizontal bands?

frostbite
30th Nov 2006, 17:09
Weeeeeell, bit of both really!

Sort of horizontal, curling up at the edges.