PDA

View Full Version : Unregistered Australian Helicopters – don’t be caught!

robsrich
27th Nov 2006, 18:29
Whilst looking at the CASA website I noticed a large number of helicopters whose registrations have been cancelled for various reasons. The most common reason was failure to change to the new registration system (maybe slack paperwork?).

Many of you are maybe hours building by hiring these machines, or even working for an operator doing casual work, etc. You need to know the risks of flying an unregistered helicopter in our litigious society in this country. So without offending the owners, I hope this info will protect those who may be flying the helicopters listed below.

Why worry you may ask?

CASA says: “Note that the aircraft's certificate of airworthiness is no longer valid and the aircraft must not be flown. Flying an unregistered aircraft is an act punishable by law with up 2 years of imprisonment. It will be necessary to apply for a new registration should you intend to return the aircraft to the register at a later date.”

What about insurance?

It assumed that the insurance policy would require the aircraft to have a valid certificate of airworthiness. Even the best insurance company will not cover you for a deliberate act such as not registering your helicopter after all the reminders, etc.

And you hurt someone?

Can you imaging a lawyer leering at you as you stand in the witness box and saying, “So you were flying and unregistered and un-airworthy aircraft were you??” The next few words you mutter will cause you to commit financial and social suicide. The insurance man has long left the court room in disgust. You are now very alone.

Helicopters listed on the CASA website. (A total of 49 or 4% of the register):

AHS, AHT, ATZ, AZH, AZV, BII, BUK, EWL, FHD, HBQ, HCB, HCU, HFL, HFL, HGU, HRE, HSC, HSZ, THE, HUC, HVJ, HUR, IPE, JAJ, JUQ, JZG, KEB, KHM, KSJ, LCH, LMA, LTX, LWS, MIK, OBY, PHU, PYG, RIB, RTK, SWQ, SXO, TES, THI, TMA, TMD, UDL, UXB, ZHQ and ZZN.

John Eacott
27th Nov 2006, 19:58
Since TMA was sold overseas 4 years ago, and now lies on the bottom of the South China Sea in the hold of a sunken ship, I wouldn't put a great deal of faith in that little list :p

Semi Rigid
27th Nov 2006, 20:06
rob, how many of those are parked up waiting to be re-built or being parted out?
still with the state that casa are in i wouldn't be surprised if the paperwork has been lodged many moons ago & are gathering dust in the in the corridor's of these esteemed public servants! i mean 13 months wait for an asic card. C'MON!

robsrich
27th Nov 2006, 21:10
I can only pass on the stuff from the CASA website, in good faith to help the new boys.

We all know the CASA data base maybe out of date; but the result is a lot of these machines could be flying today. (I know of several).

So do we remain silent and let someone get caught, or lend a hand as best we can with incomplete information?

The reason for this list is probably lost or lack of paperwork to clear registrations of choppers that have been shoved into a hangar or worse still been lost in an accident.

If there is a better way to solve this problem or improve the information source, then please give us your ideas.

in my travels I see young guys desperatley seeking hours and flying for peanuts in helicopters that are registered and uninsured. That is a high risk activity.

To then be tempted to fly in something that has no registration (and thus no insurance also) is not worth the potential outcome in our legal system.

Happy flying..........does your VH really mean VH?

Bellthorpe
28th Nov 2006, 11:58
We all know the CASA data base maybe out of date; but the result is a lot of these machines could be flying today. (I know of several).

You do?

What have you done about it?