PDA

View Full Version : Hangerage or parking in Oxfordshire

captainyonder
27th Nov 2006, 13:50
As I've mentioned in another thread I'm looking to purchase an Evans VP1 or 2. However I need somewhere to keep it in Oxfordshire.

Kidlington strikes me as being very expensive and over subscribed, Enstone is a possibility. But does anyone know what sort of price I should look to pay per month for the priviledge of parking my aircraft.

Any suggestions other than Enstone or Kidlington?

airborne_artist
27th Nov 2006, 14:12
http://www.chiltern.aero ? About 5 miles S of Wallingford.

Zulu Alpha
27th Nov 2006, 14:53
You will need to Hangar it. Open cockpits, wood and fabric don't wear well outside. In addition the wet will increase the weight and VP1s have quite marginal performance.
The VW engine is notorious for carb icing so beware.
All in all while it is cheap I would say the marginal performance makes it unsuitable for a low hours pilot. You didn't say how much experience you have so if you have a lot then apologies in advance.
see
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=148993
for an interesting tale of VP1s and how they cost £25,000/hr

muffin
27th Nov 2006, 15:16
Shotteswell?

airborne_artist
27th Nov 2006, 15:24
Hinton in the hedges (http://www.pilotweb.aero/content/airfields/airfield.aspx?af_id=60) is only just outside Oxfordshire, but very quick to get to via the A43.

trevs99uk
27th Nov 2006, 18:35
Just east of Oxford is the former RAF Oakley.
A microlight club operate from here with serveral PFA types amongst their membership.

http://www.bmaa.org/club.asp?ClubID=12

trevor

Oxeagle
28th Nov 2006, 08:12
If I remember correctly it is £50 per month for hangarage at Enstone Flying Club, though i'm not sure if they have much room. There is also a farm strip called Drayton St. Leonards just South-East of Abingdon, and I think they have hangarage. Finally, Bicester gliding club have hangarage available in the old RAF hangars at the airfield.

Hope this helps!

Ox

captainyonder
28th Nov 2006, 09:26
Thanks chaps. Very helpful. Offer has gone in on an aircraft yesterday so hopefully I'll be bringing it down to Oxfordshire in the next few months!

shortstripper
28th Nov 2006, 09:42
Re Hangarage of Wood and Fabric aircraft.

I kept my Veep tied down outside for nearly a year with no problem what-so-ever. I covered the open cockpit with a well fitted tonneau but decided against coveringthe wings and fuselage as flapping sheets can damage them. In the winter I painted all the exposed metalwork with clean engine oil and the aeroplane suffered no ill effects at all. In fact I would go as far as to say it faired better than many aircraft I have seen parked inside some sweaty hangars! I've walked into the Hangars at Goodwood before to find the aeroplanes dripping in condensation! The only real concern is UV light. If the outside parked aeroplane was PROPERLY silver doped and not too dark coloured then it will be fine. If however, you can see light through the fabric then it will not last long in strong sunlight. Wood is a natural material that can handle its moisture change/cycle well, but does not like continual damp or immersion. Therefore make sure all the drain eyes in the wing bays / fuselage are there, and clear.

SS :ok:

Zulu Alpha
28th Nov 2006, 12:33
Congratulations, post some photos when you get it home.

Don't forget CARB ICE....CARB ICE....CARB ICE

When I bought mine the previous owner/builder insisted that he show me it running with the cowl off. WIthin a minute or two the outside of the inlet manifold was covered in ice and frost. Carb heat took a minute or so to clear the buildup. Try it yourself one day.

Enjoy yourself.

HAL-26
28th Nov 2006, 13:44
Please heed Zulu Alpha's advice.

The VW engine is the best ice-maker since Frigidaire!:bored:

It might be worth contacting Windrushers Gliding Club at Bicester.

They maintain a pretty strict quota of around 14 powered aeroplanes on site, but a VP-1 fits in with the type of aeroplane that they prefer, ie. low powered tail-dragger, vintage or PFA types with relatively low utilisation.

We're very noise conscious on the site so things like circuits are discouraged, but they're a friendly bunch. Maybe see you there one day!

captainyonder
28th Nov 2006, 13:46
Carb icing is my only real concern with the aircraft. I've heard of several Veep pilots keeping carb heat on for the duration of their flight because of the severe icing. That coupled together with marginal climb performance is my only concern.

Thanks for the tip SS! I'm tempted to park the aircraft outside at either Enstone or Bicester.