PDA

View Full Version : Air Ambulance Scam Warning

ORAC
27th Nov 2006, 07:31
BBC: Air Ambulance Issues Scam Warning (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/6185768.stm)

A medical air emergency service is warning businesses not to fall for a publishing scam.

A company is claiming to be producing a magazine on behalf of the North West Air Ambulance, and asks businesses to support it by buying advertising space. The charity said it has no involvement with any publishing company as it produces its own magazine in-house, and does not send out advertising invoices.

Police and trading standards officers are carrying out an investigation.

Lynda Brislin, charity chief executive, said: "We produce our own magazine for which we do not request sponsorship. "So should anyone get an invoice purporting to be from our magazine it is false and we urge them to ignore it. "We have contacted the police, who are investigating with the DTI." She added: "This really is deplorable behaviour and we are aghast that a company which has no involvement with us feels they can make gains at our expense."

The air ambulance operates across Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Cheshire, Merseyside and Cumbria.

cessna l plate
27th Nov 2006, 07:56
I was once offered a job (that I accepted and left the next day) by a company like this. Un-ethical doesn't even get there really.

We sold advertising space, sorry, "sponsorship" in a magazine distributed around childrens hospitals. The books were't actually that bad with games and puzzles etc in them. There was also a lot of this sponsorship, that started at £85 for a small box. We were given a photocopy of a page of the yellow pages and told to get on with it, at least 3 deals per page or else!! The management used to totally ignore, not even a blind eye, totally ignore some of the sales practices that the staff employed.

I was put with a guy for a days training. He used to introduce himself as "Dr ....." and he was calling between operations to try and gain some sponsorship for this worthwhile project, signing off with "well I have to go now as there is a little lad coming to theatre for ..........(insert horrible disease of your choice), can I put you down for half a page then?"

The only medical qualifications this muppet had was his boy scout first aid badge!!! I left after that day, I happen to like sleeping at night. The total profit was enormous as thousands of the books were printed at a cost of pennies each, whilst it actually raised about 50k of profit. And at least 2 per week were knocked out! That company is no longer with us, but there are a lot of others just like them, run by sharks after a quick buck. Beware, the air ambulance is a great cause, if you want to support them, send a donation!!!