PDA

View Full Version : Cpl or turbine

rotor-mouth
26th Nov 2006, 14:18
Hi all

I have recently returned to flying after a short while and trying to make a tough choice. I currently have 100 hours on the r22 and want to train for my cpl(h). But that is as far as i ccan afford to go, and I hear there is pretty much no work for low time cpl holders. Does anyone know of any sponsorship that can take you from cpl(h) to Fi level or is my money best spent on some turbine time?

Thanks RM

MSP Aviation
26th Nov 2006, 21:04
if you're trying to earn ratings as a challenge/learning experience, then it's up to you. but if you're trying to go pro, that turbine time will be worthless until you have your CPL. go for the cpl.

gulliBell
26th Nov 2006, 22:51
A few hours of turbine time doesn't get you anywhere, but a CPL might get you somewhere. Your money is obviously better spent obtaining a professional qualification. It is also unrealistic to expect an owner to rent their turbine helicopter to a PPL or CPL holder with very low experience. I'm afraid you're up for spending your own money as civilian cadet pilot sponsorships are very few and far between.

rotor-mouth
28th Nov 2006, 16:26
Thanks for your replies

puntosaurus
28th Nov 2006, 19:44
The Guild of Air Pilots and Navigators (http://www.gapan.org/careers/pilotadvice.htm) do an FI(H) sponsorship, but their page isn't working. I think you'll probably find more on the sticky training thread at the top of this forum.