PDA

View Full Version : J-1 and the possibilities!?

25th Nov 2006, 19:03
Hello!
How are the chances to get a CFI job with 200hrs and a J-1 Visa in the USA?
And is it possible to fly tours with a J-1 Visa in companies like temscoair ?

Regards and save landings!

IntheTin
25th Nov 2006, 21:39
Do you have the visa and the hours already? If you do then you must be at one of only two J-1 helicopter schools operating in the states.
There is plenty of information on the J-1 in the search function but as far as I know, you can only work as a CFI for the school who sponsors you with your J-1.
I'm sure this cuts a very long story short. :}

Revolutionary
25th Nov 2006, 23:20
As far as I know you can work anywhere you want with a J-1 issued by a helicopter flight school, as long as it is as a helicopter CFI. Flying tours: nope, notwithstanding the few bull**** artists who have managed to finagle a temporary job in Vegas or the Canyon out of their J-1 Visa based on the tour company's lack of understanding of the law.

Vee-r
26th Nov 2006, 03:01
As others have posted, tour jobs are not legal on the J1, getting a CFI job at any school is. It does seem that those 200 hr. jobs are getting harder to find with many operators looking for 250-300 hrs plus CFII.

flyheli
26th Nov 2006, 16:04
I'm sure you'll find something... if it's nothing you like you can switch with 300-400 hours for sure. If you manage to land in a busy school you should be able to get 1200-1500 hours before your visa expires. I've heard about a few jobs as tour pilots with J1 visas but generally you need a place where you can instruct as well...

Another concern would be the Robinson school.... if you sign up now you have to wait until SEPTEMBER for an open class for the safety course...pretty amazing considering it wouldn't be legal to teach without that course.
good luck!

HillerBee
26th Nov 2006, 16:07
The Robinson Factory Safety course is not required by the FAA. It's an insurance requirement at most schools however.

highfinal
26th Nov 2006, 16:33
That's not true. I know people at four different schools who can fly more than that easily if they arrange their schedules. Silver State for example produced a pilot who just started for Era who managed to go from CFI checkride to 1000 hrs in 6 mths.

flyheli
26th Nov 2006, 17:29
My first job was in Boston where I flew very little in winter time.... I moved to Florida and flew 80-110 hrs a month. If you are a CFII it really helps to get more hours than an regular CFI... you have also more chances to build cross country and night time which is a plus too.

Personally I don't know any J1 guy who built less than a 1000 hrs... usually they are motivated and quick students and have about 18month left on their visa when they start working.

PM me if you have any specific questions!

cheers
flyheli

rudestuff
26th Nov 2006, 22:21
500 hrs isn't really enough time to get a turbine job in MOST place - although there are exceptions. Insurance companies seem to call the shots. The 1000hrs PIC seems to be the benchmark in the States these days.

3rd Dec 2006, 21:14
Thanks!:rolleyes: