PDA

View Full Version : UK Freelance Type Rating

ChristopherRobin
25th Nov 2006, 09:18
Hi everyone. I'm a QSP with a JAR CPL(H) and I was wondering what view you all had on the best type rating to get in order to freelance throughout the UK and, possibly, Ireland.

I've over 900 hours on twins and 500 odd on singles. I think probably twin squirrel might be the best bet to spend my hard earned on, but before I make the plunge I'd be very interested in what you might advise.

Single or twin? and what type? And I don't think the budget can stretch to an IR at this stage!

Many thanks for any advice you might have! :ok:

What Limits
25th Nov 2006, 11:02
Consider a rating on the EC135 - then you could fly most of the Police and Air Ambulance helicopters. There are one or two corporate machines too.

Bravo73
25th Nov 2006, 11:13
I don't think the budget can stretch to an IR at this stage!

VFR only? Your best bet is probably to just stick with the B206. Followed by AS350 and EC120. (But only a very few operators have these two types at the moment.)

There is some VFR Twin work available, but not a lot. Most of the Twin work goes to IR drivers. If you do decide on Twin, AS355 followed by A109 would be my best bet.

But, unfortunately, without either a SEP FI or an IR, you might well struggle for regular work in England, even during the summer.

Unless you're up in Scotland, in which case PDG would be interested in either AS350 or AS355 ratings, both VFR.

Best of luck and I hope this helps,

B73

Edited to add: What Limit's idea would probably be your best bet for work. EC135 with various Police forces or Bond Air Ambulances.

Queen O' the Skies
25th Nov 2006, 11:33
My advice would be to contact all the operators directly to ask about work opportunities.

I left the military about 2 years ago and with nearly 4000 hrs, with the intention of freelancing. I did AS355 and 350 ratings, but found that operators were unwilling to give me work without any experience of flying in the outside world - how do you get that experience without doing any work?

In the end I chickened out and got a proper job as a police pilot, but I now do some freelancing for private owners on a couple of AS350s, although not enough to pay the mortgage.

However, if you are sure that this is the way ahead for you, then you just need to look at what types are the most popular in this country. Robinsons are the most numerous singles, although many are flown by their owners, so I would consider B206 followed by AS350, and AS355 are the most numerous twins.

I would also say that you would be a much more useable prospect with an IR, so you should definitely make use of the exemptions that you get as a QSP for 3 years after leaving.

Feel free to pm me if you want any more info.

QOS

ChristopherRobin
25th Nov 2006, 12:15
many thanks for all that advice. Looks like the cash for an IR will have to be found! Any pointers for good training providers for QSP conversion?

thanks again!

cyclic
25th Nov 2006, 13:30
If you went to Bond Air Services at Staverton you could do the course on the EC135 sim and also get a rating on the EC135. Not sure how much it costs though. Check out the BAS website.

Floppy Link
25th Nov 2006, 23:00
...IIRC any initial issue IR these days requires a valid type rating on type so if you go to somewhere which uses Twin Squirrel you'll come out with an AS355 type rating and an IR...the EC135 sim at Staverton may bring the cost down...

Letsby Avenue
26th Nov 2006, 11:58
CR - Are you staying in the military and freelancing or are you trying to earn a living on ther outside?

ChristopherRobin
26th Nov 2006, 15:32
Possibly a bit of freelancing while still in, leading to freelancing when out. I plan to do other work (non-flying) as well when I get out in anticipation of possibly not having enough freelancing to keep Mrs CR in sexy boots all year round.

Given the costs of doing an IR though, I might try and get a job with one of the larger operators first to get the IR and freelance later on, but ideally I would not have to do that.

Your question seemed to be a leading one, Letsby. Do you know something I ought to be aware of? All advice gratefully taken on board!

VeeAny
26th Nov 2006, 21:17
CR

Bravo73 has it right on the numbers (with the EC135 proviso also).

I was surprised when I got started, at the number of AOC holders who whilst appreciating the quality of Mil Pilots, did not hold them in as high an esteem as I expected at the start of their commercial careers.

I can see the argument from both sides, I am just pointing my surprise and don't want to start a mil v civil debate.

If you can get the commercial experience on 206 - 355, use the QSP route and GET AN IR.

V.

Letsby Avenue
27th Nov 2006, 01:42
I wouldn't know a leading question if it hit me in the face:}

I freelanced for about 10 years before I left and it eventually stood me in very good stead. I got hold of a current copy of the BHAB handbook and sent a CV with covering letter to just about everyone in it. I waited until the Regt naffed off to the US on exercise for a month and used the spare gazelle to get some 'face' time with all the operators in the local area (plus 30hrs in my logbook). I paid for a TR on the 206 at a very competitive rate with Cabair at Elstree and gave them a few weekends work to pay off the rest. After a somewhat relaxed month with the Regt away I got a nice call from Aeromega asking if I would mind flying one of their jetboxes at Silverstone for the GP that weekend - err let me think about that... That led, over the next ten years, to some of the most enjoyable flying I have ever done. Once you get going you can trade time worked in exchange for ratings (very tax efficient). Keep your daily rate down to start with while you build up the time, I started at around £180 and finished up with £250+expenses. Forget about paying for an IR, you don't need it for what you want to do and when you do need it - someone else will pay. Stick to the charter market and have fun – Best of luck.

ChristopherRobin
27th Nov 2006, 12:07
thanks everyone. That is all very sound advice and really helpful. I really appreciate it! :ok: