PDA

View Full Version : Guidance from the other side of the pond

davi8r
25th Nov 2006, 05:01
G'day fellow pilons

Any of you have any words of wisdom? I grew up in Brussels but am a Canadian citizen. I want nothing more than to move back, and am looking for opportunities in western Europe. I know that all of you are just as hungry as I am for that elusive first flying opportunity, but anything constructive would help. I have 1400 TT, 500 multi PIC, ATPL commerical, instructor, etc. I teach multi IFR and have ATPL written exams completed, so I guess it would be roughly the same as your JAR frozen. No jet time yet, but this spring I should be getting some turbine time.

Are there any companies that you can recommend that sponsor pilots from overseas?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

scroggs
25th Nov 2006, 11:38
Sponsor for what? You already have your Canadian licences. Sponsorships, where they exist, are for ab-initio pilots - those with no experience. You will need to convert your Canadian ATPL to a JAA ATPL (see this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=231486&highlight=conversion) thread) and you need the right to live and work in the EU. That essentially means you either have an EU passport, or your parents do. There are other ways of acquiring those rights, but they aren't simple or easy.

Scroggs

YYZ_Instructor
25th Nov 2006, 12:31
Hi davi8r,

I assume you already have a European Passport. Having said that you will need to convert your licence, which means writing all 14 exams and a few flight tests for commercial and and IFR rating, after that you are free to apply. Sponsership is out of the question as you already have time, but don't be put off. I found the exams quite easy, they are like the Canadian ATPL's just broken down more into subjects instead of all subjects in 2 exams. The commercial flight test is like a PPL flight test in Canada and the IFR rating is easier as its not just approaches at 1 airfield, you have to do a route which makes it more realistic and more time to setup for the approach.

From my advice stick around Canada for another year or two...its booming here and the opportunities are incredible for now. I came back to Canada from the UK after flying air taxi there and now getting turbine time here at about 100 hours a month. Most companies in Ontario are looking for FO's.....build some turbine here before you go.

I hope this helps...

v6g
25th Nov 2006, 21:16
The commercial flight test is like a PPL flight test in Canada and the IFR rating is easier as

... is that so?

I've been looking going from Canadian to JAR land and although I've got a pretty good idea of the license conversion costs (Canadian CPL+MIFR to JAR fATPL = ~CAD30k if anyones interested), I've never seen any opinions on comparatively how 'hard' these JAR exams are.

That confirms my suspicions that the JAR license is more to do with money and protecting government jobs than any flying ability.

A couple of examples:-
Class 1 medical initial: Canada: $150, UK: >$1000
CPL Flight test fee: Canada: ~$200, UK: $1400
CPL + IR written: Canada: ~$200, UK: $1700
(prices converted to Canadian at rate of 2.1)

Personally, I'm swaying towards staying in Canada, the wife is here, the land is beautiful and the people are nice. I might be flying a 172 or a King Air for a few years - but the big jobs will come eventually, far less financial risk also (although many wannabees don't seem to understand the concepts of compound interest ......)