PDA

View Full Version : Vfr Flying In New York?

fenland81
24th Nov 2006, 17:34
I hope to be going to New York in late January or Early Febuary and would like to view the city from the air. I dont want to go in a tourist helicopter, but would much rather hire an aircraft like a C172, with an instructor.

Can anybody tell me if VFR flights around New York are still permitted and if so do you have any advise? Can anybody recommed a Flying school that would rent an aircraft and an instructor and how much this might cost.

I have a PPL (A) but would feel much more comfortable with an instructor next to me. Any help much appreciated

Thanks

chevvron
24th Nov 2006, 19:01
I was there just pre 9/11 and there were plenty of Cessna types mixing it with the helicopters round Manhattan, also lots of skywriting from about 10,000ft, so it must be possible; Teterborough is a GA airport, although how far it is from Manhattan I don't know.

gcolyer
24th Nov 2006, 20:00
I think the city was shut down to GA, although you could fly vfr down the Hudson.

I know since the SR22 crash the other month they are talking about closing that down as well.

mm_flynn
24th Nov 2006, 20:24
Two close airports are Teterboro (Just across the Hudson in NJ) and White Plains (North of the City in NY). I believe since the accident you need to be in contact with ATC but that is not a problem (and if even before the accident would be common if you were going up the East River so that you didn't have to make the tight turn).

I think you need to have an FAA license issued based on your JAA one and that needs some admin with the CAA and FAA in advance (A quick search on here will give you those details).

RobertS975
24th Nov 2006, 23:00
The Hudson River coridor is open and you do not need to be in contact with ATC. One can fly up or down the Hudson at an altitude below 1100 feet. The East River corridor now requires ATC clearance. This is since the Ciirus accident in October. I do not know how easy it is to obtain a clearance.

Cessnas can be rented at almost any general aviation airport. Thereseveral out on Long Island (KFRG, KISP) and Teterboro in New Jersey. There is also White Plains (KHPN) and southern Connecticut (Danbury, Bridgeport etc.)

You may be able to find info on FBOs at this website:

www.aopa.org

Look up FBOs under the "Learning to Fly" section. That is available without AOPA membership.