PDA

View Full Version : Leicester

pilotgriff
23rd Nov 2006, 12:52
Don't suppose any of you guys (or gals) fly to or from Leicester?

If you have flown there let me know what you think!:ok:

S-Works
23rd Nov 2006, 13:37
Me.... What do you want to know? I have been a member for 5 years. Great club, usual club politics and cliques. Good instructors, staff and facilities. Fuel price leaves a lot to be desired at the moment considering the significant drop in prices recently. Fenland £1.00in VAT Leics £1.35inc VAT.

Are you thinking of joining?

pilotgriff
23rd Nov 2006, 13:43
ha already a member, i'm down tonight for Malc's curry:bored: and beer. Starting the night rating next week.

Are you a regular down there what is it youu fly? or do there?

S-Works
23rd Nov 2006, 13:54
I own a 172 Hawk XP and will probably fly in tonight for a curry if it is not blowing a gale.

A bit unsure what it you are asking about the club if you are already a member?

pilotgriff
23rd Nov 2006, 14:03
Just interested in people's opinions of the club and to what they think not that it makes any difference.

I think its a great club and want to know what people like best about it.

Rod1
23rd Nov 2006, 18:00
I joined 12 months ago and have my MCR based there. I like the place; it is mostly friendly, with a few odd exceptions. It is one of the better places I have been based and I think I will stay for some time. I use Mogas, so the high fuel price is not a problem for me. I am around most Saturdays, tinkering or flying G-KARK so came and say hello.

Rod1

Sleeve Wing
23rd Nov 2006, 18:55
As Bose-X says ..............
QUOTE=bose-x;2981982] Great club, usual club politics and cliques. Good instructors, staff and facilities.

Obviously hasn't changed much in 47 years !!!!.......Was a member/instructor back then and I still pop in to see 'old' friends when I can borrow an exciting aeroplane.
Some faces change but the spirit there doesn't . First class Club .....and one of the oldest in the country.

Here's to many more years of the Leicestershire Aero Club.
Rgds, Sleeve Wing.

tmmorris
24th Nov 2006, 08:31
I've only been there once and saw two stunning examples of poor airmanship in the circuit. But I think I should give it another chance as everyone seems to be fond of it..!

Tim

187nj
7th Feb 2008, 09:45
any young pilots in Leicester fancy sharing the cost of renting a plane for a few hours at the weekends?

I'm 24, should have my PPL soon (end of april) and looking to hour build at the weekends. Will do on my own anyway but if anyone is interested let me know.

twistedenginestarter
9th Feb 2008, 04:48
It's sad of course that the Coop are going to turn the airfield into a massive high density housing estate.

Whirlybird
9th Feb 2008, 06:51
any young pilots in Leicester fancy sharing the cost of renting a plane for a few hours at the weekends?

If you were a woman, and asked if any female pilots fancied a trip, you'd get jumped on for specifying the type of co-pilot you're looking for. :{

Apologies for thread creep, but just thought I'd mention it.

poss
9th Feb 2008, 09:13
Flown there a few times in the past 2 months, nice little airfield, shame about the proposed plans to get rid of it.

HeliCraig
11th Feb 2008, 12:02
I flew in yesterday, very nice friendly airfield and I am told (by passengers) that the ale was good too!

Happy to have shown my support; lets hope the Co Op don't get their way!

Footless Halls
11th Feb 2008, 12:53
I flew in yesterday. 'twas a pleasant visit but the airfield was extremely busy.

poss
11th Feb 2008, 16:33
Yes it does get like that at weekends. I remember on my visits there were a couple of kingairs, a good few cessnas, a pitts... many planes there lol. I thought it was a great atmosphere and really enjoyed talking to the pilots.

EZYFlyer
12th Feb 2008, 15:47
Ah memories memories.

I did my PPL at EGBG when I was still living there back in 2000/2001.

Are Stormin' Norman and John Pugh still there? Great instructors those two were, got me through my PPL in less than a year.

egbgstudent
27th Feb 2008, 07:45
John pugh is indeed still CFI at Leicester. Old Stormin' Norman had to be let go for various reasons, including performing an efato on the first take off of the day, which resulted in having to perform a real forced landing (winding up inverted after the noseleg dug in).
Dave Biddles in now the deputy CFI

G-BORI
27th Feb 2008, 14:43
Leicester is a fantastic place to fly from, many runways, uncontrolled, great bar and food.
Has anyone got any experiences of Sywell. Thinking of flying from there in the near future

S-Works
27th Feb 2008, 15:00
Not to mention that I kept the aircraft that your PPRune name came from there for a thousand hours of my flying life.

John Miller
27th Feb 2008, 15:12
I started my aviation career at the Leicester Aero Club and would be interested to know what happened to Chris Puddy and Philip Day - instructors from the seventies.

rotorcraig
27th Feb 2008, 17:55
Sywell

Leicester is a fantastic place to fly from, many runways, uncontrolled, great bar and food.
Has anyone got any experiences of Sywell. Thinking of flying from there in the near future
Sywell is well worth a fly in. It has lots of grass runways, bar and food at the Aviator Hotel, more food at the Pilots Mess, also the Horseshoe pub within walking distance (go out of the main entrance, turn right, and follow the road around the corner to the roundabout).

Leicester

I've been reading elsewhere about a threat to build a new "eco-town" on land which would include the current Leicester airfield - do we have a thread aready running about that?

RC

S-Works
27th Feb 2008, 19:16
Shame it's run by a despot........

Jackboot
28th Feb 2008, 17:55
A truly great place to be, especially if you like Pitts Specials or Taylorcraft!

Peter Holloways Ryan PT22 can be seen flying there most weekends. A Stearman arrived recently too.

Great restaurant - cheap and wholesome. Legendary fry-ups. Licenced bar.

Jackboot.

AfricanEagle
28th Feb 2008, 19:58
Posted on another forum this week it but reflects my impression on Leicester.

Saturday is club day, to be spent with friends, flying and talking about flying. Last Saturday was no different, except that the sky was British grey instead of Italian blue, and the after flight drink was beer instead of grappa.

I like Leicester.

The multiple grass and hard runways disposed so crosswinds are never a problem.

The big black enormous hangar, filled with Pitts, microlights, modern plastic fantastics, family Cessnas and vintage delights with tail wheels.

The white clubhouse with tower atop, filled with a functional school, a well stocked bar, and with a special feeling of warmth and friendliness.

A Ryan PT22 is bouncing the circuit. A beautiful aeroplane, I admire the courage of the crew in facing the cold brisk wind in an open cockpit.

I still have to get into the clubhouse when Rob walks up to me. “You and me are going flying. Now.” Refusal is not an option, nor a desire.

We had flown together in the Blue Cream Talyorcraft the last time I was in England, a lovely experience. This time we fly the sparkling red and white
G-BREY.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/AfricanEagle/IMG_1241.jpg

A quick launch of the prop, taxi to runway and line up, Rob says “she’s yours”. Just as well the 11kt wind is straight down the runway. The rudder is sharp, sensitive and precise. My feet less so. More or less straight, tail up, after a while I realize I have to pull to get airborne. I am behind in getting climb speed, sort of level off at a 1000ft, but exact altitude is optional and we bimble up and down against the headwind. 100mph IAS on 65hp is, for me, an unexpected achievement on so little power. Below, the vast flat countryside is a nice change to my usual Italian view of cluttered fields, hills and shoreline.

The overcast clouds un-patch, bright rays of sunlight streak through to illuminate the sparse villages and green pastures. Little is said as we fly along, words not needed to share the moment.

We turn back, countryside now racing by. Downwind, final, a bit of power to make it to the runway. Rob silently pulls the carb heat, normally an option to Italian climate pilots.

“Follow Cub speeds” is pronounced over the headphones. The Taylorcraft is not destroyed upon landing, Rob calmly not moving while I wrestle touch down, zigzagging, wing lifting and other acrobatics while banging the wheels hard on the ground.

Second T&G, Rob shows me what a proper landing is meant to be like. Third and fourth times, I try to emulate. This is a hotship compared to the worn workhorse Cubs I fly.
The wind increases on every approach. On last final tower calls 18kts. I envy the Pitt pilot preceding us, slipping precisely down to a soft touch down.

Rob does the last landing lined up with the taxiway, touching down softly on the grass just in front. It is always great to witness a pilot in perfect harmony with his aeroplane.

Back at the clubhouse my Italian friends, in full view of our flying antics, brutally comment my easily identified approaches and touchdowns. I shrug it off as envy.

Different skies, different clubs, but always the same true happy atmosphere when true flyers get together.

hobbit1983
3rd Mar 2008, 10:33
I flew into Leicester a couple of weeks ago on my CPL QXC & found it to be quite a nice place, and the airport staff (those manning the pumps in particular) were very helpful.

I've also been to Sywell, and once witnessed Bose making a daring covert appearance :ok: (his fame spreads as he was pointed out to me!)

rotorcraig
11th Mar 2008, 13:18
Trying to get back to the Leicester thread :bored:

I've been reading elsewhere about a threat to build a new "eco-town" on land which would include the current Leicester airfield - do we have a thread already running about that?

HeliCraig
11th Mar 2008, 13:20
Whatever your thoughts on (the legend that is :suspect:) BoseX, his actions, alleged actions, or your thoughts on Sywell (and Bose and I disagree on this one); the content and feel of your posts G-BORI is nothing short of abhorrent.

It is a shame when an open forum has to be censored, but in this case I am fully behind the mods - this is not the place for a slanging match (not that you would have got one by the looks of Bose's good humour)....

Would the mod's consider deleting the posts, to avoid thread drift and the negative connotations that personal jibes bring to a forum perhaps??

Edit: Thanks BRL. Feel free to delete my post as well if you want - its probably not relevant now!

BRL
11th Mar 2008, 13:21
Just done it as you were posting mate!!! :)

HeliCraig
11th Mar 2008, 13:24
Hi Craig! Our last posts crossed...

You are right there is a plan to create an "Eco Town" on Leicester... the Co-Op, who own the land plan to sell it (I stand to be corrected)... I believe the club have a while left on a lease though.

I can't find a seperate thread for it... but the BBC have an article here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/7086570.stm.

See you soon Craig,

Craig!

Chequeredflag
11th Mar 2008, 13:36
Weather permitting, I'll be flying in on Thursday. Anyone around??

GunMonger
29th Feb 2012, 21:30
I have seen your post re John Pugh, dated 2007, is John Pugh still CFI in 2012?
If not where can I contact him.

mcgoo
29th Feb 2012, 21:41
GunMonger PM sent

fwjc
29th Feb 2012, 22:07
JP has moved on to pastures new, although he still visits reasonably regularly. The aforementioned Dave Biddles is now CFI of Leicestershire Aero Club.

The grumpy chap on the radio during the week has also moved on, so the Air Ground service is much more friendly (phew!).

There's a lot more rotary traffic than there used to be as well, but they seem to be quite civilised.

Curry nights are still on Thursdays, with monthly bar quizzes, and there are monthly gatherings on Saturday nights as well. This weekend (3rd) is March's offering of Pie and a Pint, lights can be turned on as required while there's someone there.