PDA

View Full Version : G1000 Gyro & ADC Whitepapers

VORTIME
23rd Nov 2006, 10:18
Hi folks,

I'm trying to grasp a full understanding of the components that make up the G1000 and how each operates at a more intimate level than previously discussed. Does anyone know where I could find detailed whitepapers on each component or whatever the closest available technical publication on it or maybe we could use this as a master thread to discus the technical foundations to the system.

I'm interested in the data provided to the GFC700, how it interputs the data, information about the solid state gyro's and air-data computer. I think this is the way forward in all future GA aircraft or light jets so pilots should understand it to the same degree as aerodynamics or weather.

Thanks
VT

soay
23rd Nov 2006, 13:01
I know that none of the manuals that Garmin supply when you buy a G1000 equipped aircraft contain that material, and I don't think any of the ones on their web site here (http://www.garmin.com/support/userManual.jsp?market=1&subcategory=59&product=010-G1000-00) do either. I suspect that they don't want to give any details away to their competitors, so keep it from their customers as well.

IO540
23rd Nov 2006, 13:28
The old subject of getting hold of avionics manuals :)

I would suggest a post in Usenet, e.g. rec.aviation.ifr and rec.aviation.owning and ask for the manuals direct, stating that you own the kit but Garmin won't supply them.

Some kind soul may well quietly email them to you.

I have quite a collection but nothing this modern.

soay
23rd Nov 2006, 15:48
TI would suggest a post in Usenet, e.g. rec.aviation.ifr and rec.aviation.owning and ask for the manuals direct, stating that you own the kit but Garmin won't supply them.
Some kind soul may well quietly email them to you.
With that new-fangled Internet invention, there's no need to go to those lengths! All the manuals that Garmin provide to G1000 owners can be downloaded from here (http://www.garmin.com/support/userManual.jsp?market=1&subcategory=All&product=All). The problem is that they don't contain the information that VT is looking for.

denhamflyer
23rd Nov 2006, 16:05
I have a G1000 and all the manuals - they are next to useless for anyone with a brain. I have however had a number of discussions with my service organisation that lead me to believe there are service manuals somewhere for each of the modules and I am sure they will have more info. But how to get them? Please be aware Garmin dont make most of the clever stuff they just integrate with it. So the info must be out there somewhere.

IO540
23rd Nov 2006, 17:39
This is the difference between

1) Pilots' user manuals
Zero tech information

2) Installation manuals
For somebody who can tighten up a screw in a screw terminal block, possibly (at a real stretch) even somebody who can solder

3) Maintenance manuals
The stuff you are looking for here.

#2 are available to avionics shops, who guard them closely because it is their livelihood.

#3 are available to avionics shops that have authorisation for the specified maintenance work, and they also guard them closely for the same reason.

None of the above are (IME) actually trade secret or even confidential. They are just hard to get. I know somebody who can get me the full manuals with schematics of just about anything; the catch is that I have to buy the said equipment from him!

A lot of IM/MM are on the internet, mainly from having been supplied to U.S. based builders of Experimental Cat planes who then write up the whole project on a website, including copies of the manuals :) However I suspect the G1000 system is too new for this.