PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi Air 'Incident'

Lafyar Cokov
22nd Nov 2006, 19:00
Anyone know any more???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6174774.stm

"A Foreign Office spokesman would not confirm the nature of the incident, following reports that shots had been fired at the aircraft."

Always good to stir up a bit of interest....

QFIhawkman
22nd Nov 2006, 19:12
Looks like a non story to me.
The aircraft lurches... it returns to base. That could be anything from a minor control problem, to a single engine failure.
"Shots fired"... Now tell me a day in Basra where that doesn't happen. I tell you this though, it wouldn't cause an aircraft to "lurch". I got hit by small arms fire dozens of times in 1991. It certainly didn't cause the old girl to lurch! In fact I usually didn't find out until I climbed out back at base. Now I'm not a rotary man, and I stand to be corrected, but for now....

As I say, he's fine, as far as I can see the aircraft is fine. Ergo: Non story.

Severance
22nd Nov 2006, 19:20
UFCM ? oh lord the techies will be up to their necks in it:{

Sev

Aynayda Pizaqvick
22nd Nov 2006, 19:53
Chancellor Gordon Brown also visited Basra at the weekend and promised £100m extra in aid.
So that, along with the £428 million or so we just gave to Pakistan to help them combat radicalism in Islamic schools makes £528 million! What would you have done with an extra half billion pounds in the defence budget:confused:

PompeySailor
22nd Nov 2006, 21:23
If it's true that shots were fired, can someone please get onto the Army and book them some remedial "aim, shoot" practice. And why does a minor brown trouser incident need to involve an "investigation", just because it involved a bloody politician?

Letsby Avenue
22nd Nov 2006, 22:10
Anyone else getting a bit sick of this penchant for 'Disaster Tourism' by our brave politicians? Personally I would have liked Howells to have caught one in the arris. :)

No idea
23rd Nov 2006, 07:27
Looks like a non story to me.
The aircraft lurches... it returns to base. That could be anything from a minor control problem, to a single engine failure.
"Shots fired"... Now tell me a day in Basra where that doesn't happen. I tell you this though, it wouldn't cause an aircraft to "lurch". I got hit by small arms fire dozens of times in 1991. It certainly didn't cause the old girl to lurch! In fact I usually didn't find out until I climbed out back at base. Now I'm not a rotary man, and I stand to be corrected, but for now....

As I say, he's fine, as far as I can see the aircraft is fine. Ergo: Non story.

Have heard from a very reliable source that there is a lot more to this. The incident did cause some minor structural damage to the helo, so is more than a non story. The investiogation is not as a result of who the passenger was but is due to the nature of the apparent attack.