PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Helicopters -Essex

Jamie-Southend
22nd Nov 2006, 18:19
Hi,

Does anyone know anything concerning the company Eastern Helicopters Ltd of Colchester Essex ?

Someone locally to me at SEN had a pleasure flight booked with them recently, but on arriving at SEN they didnt turn up.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Jamie

Blind Bob
22nd Nov 2006, 19:20
Essex boy, try their website.............better still, give them a visit, they share a hangar at Earls Colne with Caroline Grace! :hmm:

Hilico
22nd Nov 2006, 20:20
But don't do what I did and turn up (last month), only to find certain changes in legal status had happened the day before. We did not fly, or even see any helicopters. Luckily no money had changed hands; unluckily I had promised my daughter we would be going flying.

ppheli
22nd Nov 2006, 20:25
Plus they operate an N reg Agusta 109 for a private owner in the Brentwood area... and the 109 appears to be based at.... Southend

Jamie-Southend
22nd Nov 2006, 20:59
The people concerned booked a £250 jolly with them some time ago as a gift, and turned up at SEN recently on the booked date.

Also the telephone number gets transfered to a Vodafone Mobile Answerphone. :=

ppheli
23rd Nov 2006, 04:43
Jamie - you sounding like someone who wants all the work done for him - perhaps you could let us know what you (or your mates) have done so far in investigating this, rather than just presenting problems.

(1) This company uses 0845 and 0870 phone numbers eg 0870 350 2410 and 0845 230 0504. These are "non-geographic numbers" and when you dial them will automatically translate to a geographical (eg. 01702 for Southend, 01787 for Earls Colne, etc) or a mobile number. This gives them the flexibility to be out of the office and still answer the phone - and not have to give their mobile number out. So the fact you get Vodafone voicemail is NOT a problem - they could just be busy on another call.

(2) Presumably you have a receipt for the £250 and details provided in writing by the company of the date/location of the flight and where to turn up to at Southend and at what time. Without this evidence you may not even have a case! Caveat Emptor!

(3) Have you been to Earls Colne in person (on a weekday in office hours) and sort it out - just as Blind Bob suggested? If no joy at their hangar, find the airfield manager and ask.

Hilico
23rd Nov 2006, 19:52
If I wasn't sure the post would get 'terminated', I would explain exactly what I meant by 'changed their legal status' in my earlier post.

But by way of illustration, imagine a pair of breasts facing the sky - what's a shorter expression for that position? That's what they've gone.

Jamie-Southend
23rd Nov 2006, 20:22
Interesting Hilico :D

With regard to PPHeli `s reply.......

Firsty "they" are not mates, just people local to me who "appear" to have lost out.

(1) This company uses 0845 and 0870 phone numbers eg 0870 350 2410 and 0845 230 0504. These are "non-geographic numbers" and when you dial them will automatically translate to a geographical (eg. 01702 for Southend, 01787 for Earls Colne, etc) or a mobile number. This gives them the flexibility to be out of the office and still answer the phone - and not have to give their mobile number out. So the fact you get Vodafone voicemail is NOT a problem - they could just be busy on another call.

Fair enough - although they have not been contactable late yesterday or today.

(2) Presumably you have a receipt for the £250 and details provided in writing by the company of the date/location of the flight and where to turn up to at Southend and at what time. Without this evidence you may not even have a case! Caveat Emptor!

Not just receipts lovley printedtickets, dated etc !

(3) Have you been to Earls Colne in person (on a weekday in office hours) and sort it out - just as Blind Bob suggested? If no joy at their hangar, find the airfield manager and ask.

Not Yet :ugh:

Hover Bovver
23rd Nov 2006, 20:42
If they paid by credit card it is simple, just contact the card issuer and tell them that the goods/services paid for were not supplied.Most CC companies have the ability to refund the money from there account. If that does not exist anymore, hold the CC card company responsible for allowing them to be a merchant ! Be prepared to have to give them details and backup paperwork- or statements from those concerned.

Regards
HB

PlaneNut123
23rd Nov 2006, 23:55
There has been various enquiries regarding Eastern Helicopters, down at the club house at Earls Colne and for the now elusive former MD of the company.
Eastern Helicopters was until recently based at Earls Colne and seemed to be quite busy, however a few weeks ago aircraft started to disappear and then the pilots and staff.
I caught up with one of their clients recently whom informed me that it would appear that the company has ceased trading. According to this source, who was not all that clear on all the details himself, but was hopping mad:* because not only was he owed money but the pilots he knew and former staff were too, he told me that it would appear that no one could get in contact with the former MD (MH) as he has ceased answering calls or returning any messages, and worst still had not even bothered to inform anyone of what was going on, he himself had found out through other sources and had gone down to see for himself.
It would also appear that the CAA are having great deal of difficulty in getting in contact MH as they have rung through to the club house on a number of occassions trying to get hold of him.
From all accounts the rumour is that the former MD may have miss managed the accounts / company and that when cheques started to bounce and funds were unaccounted for, support was taken away when the scale of it became apparent. I was told that the silent financial partner along with the pilots did try to rescue the company on the basis of what they were told the debts were by the MD, but after the figures were questioned and insistance given for a full audit by an accountant, the MD simply disappeared and they have struggled to get any tangable answers or even get hold of him ever since.:ugh:
I believe that a couple of the pilots along with some of Eastern's former customers are working together to pick up some of the pieces and move forward, but not entielry sure of these details.
A lot of peolpe seem to have been let down, clients, suppliers, pilots and staff.:(

idle stop
24th Nov 2006, 07:31
I understand that the 'assets' and goodwill have been bought out by another company that is now commencing trading at Southend, and will be operating under the control and AOC of another company. Various owners of aircraft used by Eastern at Earls Colne have moved their aircraft to Southend.
Eastern's AOC etc were suspended a few weeks or more ago.

mounty
26th Nov 2006, 20:47
a freind and i own a R44 which was being operated through eastern helicopers,at first all was going well,we then found out that a number of people were owed money,we could also not get our final payment,the silent partner did try very hard to rescue EH but it was not to be,most of us have moved over to southend in the hope to move forwards,its a real shame for the people who have lost money,like the guy who paid upfront for his PPL,it was also a nice set up down at earls colne with a good atmosphere,a very sad story.i am sure MH will have to answer some difficult questions soon.

veryAngryman
9th Dec 2006, 17:44
Really annoyed with this company, couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery, let alone have any commitment to teach anyone to fly! going through with a small claims to get the remains of my account back. Companies house still show this company as active. Might be a waste of £80 but has to be done.:=

Jamie-Southend
9th Dec 2006, 18:28
I started this thread a few weeks ago, i have also herd of two other couples who had booked and paid for Jollies and then herd nothing, quite sad really.

Blade22
14th Jun 2007, 10:35
I believe there was alot going on that only the MD and silent partner truely know all the details about and it's a shame that all the clients have been messed about so badly. I was led to believe that the deal between MD and SP went sour hence ending up having to shut down but as I said we all don't know all the details.

CAPTAIN COP!
14th Jun 2007, 13:04
Jamie,

I'm not sure how reliable this information is however, I was recently informed by a friend in the helicopter corporate world that "Eastern Helicopters" are still operating under a new name called "Kudos Aviation Helicopters" from Southend Airport, Essex.

Apparantly they have links with a company called "AV8 Helicopters"
based at Rochester Airport, Kent.

Whether the same management and partners are involved under the
new name, that I do know?

Give them a bell and see what they say?

Captain Cop!

CAPTAIN COP!
14th Jun 2007, 14:07
I'm sorry I offended you however, I did state "apparantly has links with AV8 Helicopters" and if this information is incorrect, I apologise.

The information I received was second hand, hence the reason why I
said give them a call and see what they say?????

In other words find out the facts from the "horses mouth?"

Captain Cop!

Blade22
14th Jun 2007, 15:55
'Kudos' do not have the same management and CAA say that Easterns AOC is void so they couldn't be working corporately under their name anyway!

Xavier Dosh
15th Jun 2007, 10:57
So which AOC do Kudos operate on?

Is there not a connection between Kudos, G-WUSH, G-EYRE and AV8?

The kudos website would suggest that there is!

Blade22
15th Jun 2007, 15:41
Yes, I'm lead to believe there is a contact between those four but not involving Eastern Helicopters, like idle stop said their AOC was stopped.

Xavier Dosh
16th Jun 2007, 11:52
I understand.

But equally, isn't there also a connection between Kudos and what was Eastern Helicopters? I think there is...

XD

dunnarunna
16th Jun 2007, 20:30
I hope their flying skills are better than those of their proof-reading. If I were offering an AUGUSTA, I would at least spell it correctly. Schoolboy error.:rolleyes:

Incidentally, how do I fly in this 109E, being N registered?

And I think a couple of other operators might take issue with the "We have the largest fleet in the SE" quote.......

Eh, XD?!

Xavier Dosh
16th Jun 2007, 20:40
I wouldn't wish to comment!

I haven't read the text on the Kudos site, however, I can think of one or two SE based operators with a larger fleet than..........................?

I'm not entirely sure what is being operated, or how, or by whom?

flimflam
16th Jun 2007, 21:10
Just looked at KUDOS website...Astonishingly bad!

AGUSTA (Augusta) MKII with the wrong engines !

Training courses still available under national rules that do not reflect the fact that JAR was implemented several years ago !

CAA class 3 medicals !

N reg aircraft available for training and charter !

I had never heard of this company until stumbling across this thread, is it coincidence that they quote years of experience but in the 'contact us' link
there are no names mentioned?

Why do customers need to know the aircraft had a previous registration?and 'homebuilt.. NO'

FFS

HeliEng
17th Jun 2007, 21:07
There seems to certainly be some sort of link between AV8 and Kudos. G-CRDY is shown on G-INFO as having AV8 decals on it, and is shown in the photos on the Kudos website.
Where is the link between Eastern and Kudos though??

I take that back, just typed into the address bar, after a fruitless search on google - www.easternhelicopters.co.uk, and it re-directs straight to the Kudos website. SPOOKY! ! ! ! !

Blade22
18th Jun 2007, 14:14
Maybe the years of experience they refer to are through their pilots??

Noticed the link straight through to Kudos website, handy they had the same webhost!

idle stop
18th Jun 2007, 16:41
As somebody seems to think I know about this, I'll give it a go......
Kudos does not have an AOC and is apparently a brokerage company, based at Southend. As such, they would surely have access to a large fleet, including some of the aircraft already mentioned. They should, however, check the legality/courtesy of using photos of other owners' aircraft without permission. But perhaps they have done this and have permission.
An owner of G-WUSH is learning to fly his aircraft with Southend-based instructors and it is hangared at Kudos on this basis. The aircraft is otherwise leased to AV8, which does operate the type on AOC: based, as are all its AOC operations, at Rochester.
AV8 has a TRTO approval at Southend, and leases facilities from Kudos on an ad-hoc basis for this: last used for two Huey courses a few months ago.
No financial or other links between the two, AFAIK. There was, I understand, a tie-up planned between the two at one time, but interests appear to have diverged and the two companies are independent.

Xavier Dosh
18th Jun 2007, 21:31
Thanks for the reply Idle Stop! There was a suggestion that you would "have something to say about it" Poor old CC was under the right impression. I was expecting a different repsonse given the nature of the reply to his post.:ok:

However, I am still confused about some of the aircraft and the operation at Southend. If Kudos are a 'brokerage' company.... how do they 'lease' G-WUSH to AV8? Do AV8 operate G-WUSH? or do Kudos? The same question applies to the rest of the aircraft shown on the Kudos website. I think that Kudos employ their own crew.... I don't know of any 'brokerage' companies that employ pilots to fly aircraft that are leased to another AOC holder to operate flights on behalf of the originating 'brokerage' company...:confused:

Where is the AV8 TRTO? Rochester, I guess. Both companies do have a TRTO, right? So they can train from Rochester and from Southend?

Who is the Head of Training at Kudos?

Who is the Head of Training at AV8?

How is N517TS operated by a brokerage company?

It all seems very confusing!:confused:

So many questions!!

idle stop
18th Jun 2007, 21:52
Xavier:
I always choose my words carefully. What I wrote is correct; anything omitted is because I do not know the facts, so could not possibly comment.
Owners often lease aircraft to AOC companies. G-WUSH is an example, and I am aware that there is a lease agreement between the owning and operating companies, and subsidiary agreements to cover day-to-day management of maintenance by the lessee, to comply with EASA and Sub-Part M requirements for it's AOC.
AFAIK, Kudos does not have any TRTO, FTO approvals nor an AOC, so has neither a CP nor Head of Training. AV8 has an arrangement to use the Kudos real estate for some TRTO operations, as noted in my earlier post.
PM me if you want details of the Head of Training for AV8, or look at their website, which may help.
You are right to note that an N-reg aircraft cannot be used for AOC work. It does look sexy on a web-site, though!

Xavier Dosh
19th Jun 2007, 07:49
Thank you for your reply Idle Stop.

I do think it appears very confusing looking in from the outside.

Paradism
21st Jun 2007, 18:04
The original question regarding the legal status of Eastern Helicopters Limited is easily answered. Just use the link and do a "web check"
http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/
You can do this for any UK limited company and get the official legal status.

manfromuncle
7th Jan 2008, 08:21
Well done, there's hope for everyone connected with Biggin Hill Helicopters yet!

helimutt
7th Jan 2008, 10:03
well, well, you don't see that happen very often in this industry. Well done on your success. I guess maybe you paid with a credit card?

veryAngryman
14th Jan 2008, 00:24
I'm still owed a considerable amount of my 10hour block booked lessons.
I have MH address and have called on many occasion, but, suprise suprise, he is not willing to communicate. PilotMike obviously has better luck than myself.